What Would You Do ? - Page 3

What Would You Do ?

This is a discussion on What Would You Do ? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hoss has offered the best advice yet...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do ?

Senior Moderator
    Hoss has offered the best advice yet
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

TOO MANY UNKNOWNS !!!!!!!! Who's the shooter and why is he or she shooting ?? I think I would call 911 and give them as much info as possible .

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Hoss has offered the best advice yet
    I was going to say something similar, but I had a few things I was concerned about.

1 hoping others are armed around you, how are they going to react if they find out you are armed? (keep it concealed while ushering the sheep?)
    I am not going to attempt to lead anyone, enough to worry about as it is, if someone else happens to take a leadership role and says "hey I have a ccw/chl we should fort up over here" I would be more concerned about his/her level of training/ability, but I would not want to venture around either,

2 what happens if you have to move, (yeah make sure you conceal that firearm before moving about, lest another CHL/ccw thinks your the threat, Hoss covered this but I dont think it was clear what he was saying)

3 How can you have your weapon ready but concealed? jacket cover? grab a shirt off the rack etc. Just not visible.
    4 How do you ID the threat? you just heard screams and shots, unless someone is walking around shooting random targets/persons, you wont know what the threat is, it could be another chl person who didnt take CONCEALED to heart. again reason to keep it concealed, so another CHL dont take a shot at you. I doubt any whackjob shooter is going to walk around concealing his firearm, more than likely it will be a rifle or a shotgun, I see somene with one of those I am leaning towards Guilty, but what if bubba heard the shots and came into the store with his shotgun to protect his sister/wife?

All of the above made me decide not to post anything about what I would do, My first thought was forget the exit, not because I want to be johny rambo but because I dont want to get trampled by the rest of the sheep, so herding anyone left into an area that was defendable would be a good choice, hopefully my wife would be with me, at least there would be 2 guns. I still dont want to be the appointed leader of the sheep, with my luck one would scream, "no dont shoot me, <>>>>>>> that guy has the gun"

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Ronwill, info? I heard shots and run outside?
    Fast cloud don't shoot me!!LOL
    I would go toward the shots, I want to see who is shooting and at what!
    I have the advantage, he dosen't know im coming!
    If he shoots himself after killing whoever he went for great!!
    If I see him taking aim at anyone else, or he see's me I start shooting!!
    If I see the PD im on the ground obeying commands, telling them where he is!
    The running will tell you where he is at, stop him from killing someone's wife,husband,mother ,father,child!!
    Do you really have the advantage or might there be accomplices? As stated by someone earlier, there are far to many unknowns here to decide what to do, until it happens.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Meanwhile at the back of the store:
    Operator: “911. What is your emergency?”
    CCWer: “I am at the sporting goods counter at the back of Wal-mart. Some guy just walked up and started shooting. I have a concealed carry permit. I was afraid for my life and others. I drew my gun and shot the BG. He has been neutralized and mostly likely dead, but I am not certain if he was alone or had partners. I’m still watching. There are several people in need of medical attention. Tell the police that I have a gun and will comply when the arrive.”

The guy that stopped the BG is now on the defensive watching for other BGs. But to another CCWer, he may look like he is on the offensive looking for another victim. And if he sees someone approaching with a gun drawn, he may assume that he is a BG. I can see the headlines now: “Crazed Gunman Sparks Chain Reaction Shootout Among Concealed Carry Permit Holders.”

While I applaud people’s desire to come to the aid of their fellow man, make your moves carefully. Injecting yourself into a situation you don’t COMPLETELY understand can be extremely risky. As for myself, I will probably get out of the store or might take a defensive position up front next to Hoss.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    [B]As for myself, I will probably get out of the store or might take a defensive position up front next to Hoss.
    Please do me a favor and take up a position next to hoss...my wife may be in that store. Honestly, all this talk about fleeing for ones life with guns in their hands was frighteniing. In the face of strong armed robbery, I should resort to strong armed cowardice?? I'm not talking about bravado here, just showing a little courage when the chips are down. I may be going out on a limb, but I can only imagine that a sheepdog who only looks after his mate and pups would be utterly worthless in the eyes of the farmer. I know I'd hate to have to answer for that one.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I would call 911 in the store immediatly after taking cover then start to assess the situation but would be in a ready state of mind and wait to see what unfolds.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    As CCH holders, we don't have the advantage of a uniform. If a police officer comes upon a guy with a gun that happens to be a GG, the GG knows immediately that he is being confronted by a police officer and can react accordingly.
    Hoss
    So what happens if you shoot a plain clothes LEO????

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    I'm not talking about bravado here, just showing a little courage when the chips are down. I may be going out on a limb, but I can only imagine that a sheepdog who only looks after his mate and pups would be utterly worthless in the eyes of the farmer. I know I'd hate to have to answer for that one.
    That is a pretty strong judgement that you have made there about some of us that aren't charging the fight guns a blazing. My first priority will be to see that my wife and son make it out of the store. If a target presents itself then so be it, I'll fight my way out. I am not going to look at my wife and say "Bye Honey. You take care of our son. I am going to go play hero." My wife and my son are flock numero uno.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    That is a pretty strong judgement that you have made there about some of us that aren't charging the fight guns a blazing. My first priority will be to see that my wife and son make it out of the store. If a target presents itself then so be it, I'll fight my way out. I am not going to look at my wife and say "Bye Honey. You take care of our son. I am going to go play hero." My wife and my son are flock numero uno.
    There's quite a bit of difference between "charging the fight guns a blazing" (bravado) and taking up a defensive position behind good cover and doing the right thing. Of course our familys are numero uno...but what about familys of our neighbors and friends? If their lives mean nothing to you, then I apologise. The world is full of selfish people. I for one, don't care to count myself among them. YMMV. I just hope we don't share the same Wal-mart.

NRA member

I'd fly out the of the exit and take up a good position behind the first parked car. (probably a handicap van) Then check the front area of the store for empolyees or customers. Wait for said villain to exit the store with gun in hand (probably running) IF there were no innocent by-standers and if the only person that came running out of the store had a gun in his hand, then I'd let him have it, as shooting a fleeing felon is the legal as well as moral thing to do in MS. The police can't be everywhere...how many has he killed already? How many will he kill next time? Of course, I have an obligation to my family...that's why I practice as much as possible. But if I can prevent someone from taking innocent lives over a x-box, then I'm going to give it my best effort. Would you take a shot at a mall shooter if it presented itself? Or just slither out the first available exit...Too many people think only of themselves these days as it is, IMO. YMMV.

edited to add...If your state requires you to retreat like a six year old girl then by all means do it. I'm not advocating breaking the law. I'd hate more than anything to see someone turned into the bad guy for doing the right thing. Nothing is more sickening than that.
    The world is full of selfish people. I for one, don't care to count myself among them. YMMV. I just hope we don't share the same Wal-mart.
    Yep, I hope we don't share the same Wal Mart as well because you might have just shot me, another CCL holder, or an undercover/plain clothes cop with your plan.

If you want to lead the charge then go join the cav. or you local police department, but don't judge me or my character based on my appraisal and reaction to the scenario presented.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Hmmm...upon further review, I like hoss' plan better. I'd hate to shoot cdwolf...(not to mention Parchman isn't exactly Atlantis/Paridise Island.)

Perhaps you overlooked this...And I speak as I find.

NRA member

Perhaps you overlooked this...And I speak as I find.

Yep, saw that. So what? Your original plan of action made you look hot-headed so you jumped on the other poster's bandwagon with one of those "Yeah, what he said" once you got called out by some other members.

Anyway, we will agree to disagree on this thread.

Nothing more to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Yep, saw that. So what? Your original plan of action made you look hot-headed so you jumped on the other poster's bandwagon with one of those "Yeah, what he said" once you got called out by some other members.

Anyway, we will agree to disagree on this thread.

Nothing more to be said.
    I've never been adverse to taking advise from others with better ideas. Yours just didn't qualify. I also agree to disagree.

NRA member

VIP Member
    Confronting the shooter is a bad idea.

Exiting and calling 911 is alright, actually they may get so many 911 calls they won't be able to answer.

Hanging around the check-out area and helping others is a noble thing to do.

On hearing gunfire in the store, another thought may be to quickly exit the store and watch the side of the building behind cover from a safe distance. There would likely be plenty of witnesses in front of the store, but not so many on the sides. If the BG were to exit from a fire door or from the dock area, it's possible you may get to ID him or his vehicle or at least know what direction he ran. Of course some of those exiting could be employees or shoppers, but an extra set of eyes may provide invaluable info to the leo's.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Unfortunately the way of the world is to go outside and dial 911.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links