What Would You Do ?

What Would You Do ?

This is a discussion on What Would You Do ? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Consider the following situation.... You are checking out at WAL-MART and have just finished paying the casier. As you pick up your small bag of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What Would You Do ?

Consider the following situation....

You are checking out at WAL-MART and have just finished paying the casier. As you pick up your small bag of items, and start toward the exit, you hear two gunshots and screaming in the back of the store. You are legally carrying your CCW weapon, have your permit in your billfold, and an extra clip in your jacket pocket, along with your cellphone.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

In most states, you should (legally) just walk on out the front door, and call 911. You are not in any danger in the eyes of the law. While that action seems strange, it is the law in many/most states.

Nevertheless, it is unclear that most of us would do so....

COMMENTS?

I'd leave and call 9-11.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Someone shooting in the back of the store? Can we be 100% certain that this is where the shots actually came from? Who's to say that a second gunman isn't waiting for people to run into the parking lot for cover? In PA it is legal to protect the life of a third party as long as they are in a imminent death or serious bodily injury situation.

To answer your question. I wouldn't know what I would do unless this situation were to actually happen to me. One part of me would want to get out of dodge and the other part would feel guilty knowing I could have prevented an unknown # of senseless homicides.

By the time I would actually get to the parking lot and dial 911 it would probably be too late. besides I bet that many people have already dialed 911 by this point. what we need in a situation like this are for more good guys reaching for their gun rather than more people reaching for their cell phone. The cops are coming regardless if they receive 10 or 100 calls.

Many states, including my own allow you to use deadly force to protect yourself OR others from serious bodily injury or death. However, the smart thing would be to get out of the store and call 911.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Leave immediately and call 911. Not to mention the risk to life - I do not need the financial/legal risk. I have an obligation to my family first, whether they are with me or not. This is for any situation that you can think of - not just the one described. I will be reluctant to put my family in jeopardy for anyone.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I definitely wouldnt exit the door fearing an outside shooter. I wouldnt too quickly run towards the gunshots either. I would, to the best of my ability, try to get a sit-rep on whats going on and exactly where its happening. I would also be looking for a good spot for cover and concealment just in case the shooter is moving towards me. If I determine I can move, I would try to move in towards the area as safely as possible.

However, I would be very careful before I draw my weapon . . . . there might be other CCW holders there who might mistake me as a shooter.

Remember, Wal-Mart sells ammo (most of them do anyway), so the shooter might be right there with more ammo than I have.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I would try to exit safely and call 911 if at all possible. Still to many unknowns. Most times if I am at Wal-Mart, I have my son and wife with me and their safety is priority one.

If the target presented himself and looked like some fruitcake whose Mommy didn't pay enough attention to him on a rampage I would get involved after seeing to my family.

I am not going back to investigate the gunfire. That would be like a teenager in a horror flick going to check out a suspicious noise outside of the cabin.

I am not a police officer but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Go outside,911

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Many states, including my own allow you to use deadly force to protect yourself OR others from serious bodily injury or death. However, the smart thing would be to get out of the store and call 911.
    exactly!

If i hear shots, I'll view my surroundings and if I don't see anything... I'm out!

VIP Member
    I'd leave and call 911. How do you know the shots were'nt a ccw holder defending himself? Also I'm not running towards shots fired. I'm not a cop.

If the shots are in the rear of the store...I quickly exit (watching my surroundings)...call 911 while leaving the area as quickly as possible...the cops can handle it!

Stay armed...be smart, you're not a cop...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wouldn't just walk out... I would RUN out.

I would put my life on the line for very few people.
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Leave immediately and call 911. Not to mention the risk to life - I do not need the financial/legal risk. I have an obligation to my family first, whether they are with me or not. This is for any situation that you can think of - not just the one described. I will be reluctant to put my family in jeopardy for anyone.
    yes i agree with this 100 % , i have a obligation to my family first , we are not the police , nor do i want to be the police "call 911" and leave , now my mother works at walmart , if it happened while she was at work , yes i would go straight back and find her and get her out of there , and i would just worry about my actions later .

VIP Member
    It would be a hard thing to do but I think I would leave and call 911.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'm personally unable to run and the volume of people running out the doors screaming would knock me down,I personally would take up a defensive position i could confront a threat from and observe,walking into an area where you don't know where the shots came from can result in you being ambushed.Anything after that would depend on what i observed from my defensive position

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links