Your response - Page 2

Your response

This is a discussion on Your response within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I'll play from the comfort of my couch. 1. Call 911, speaker phone, clip it to my shirt 2. Draw weapon 3. Start truck ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your response

OK, I'll play from the comfort of my couch.

1. Call 911, speaker phone, clip it to my shirt
    2. Draw weapon
    3. Start truck (if not already running) point in direction of BGs and hit the brights
    4. Give info to 911
    5. Order approaching BGs to STOP and drop their weapons, (noncompliance is expected)
    6. Wish I practiced more with off hand shooting
    7. Depending on line of fire, either shoot approaching BGs or pin them down with my truck
    8. Great, now I created a hostage situation with the woman and Glock guy.
    9. Too many variables to continue.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    It would just depend on the distances, and the position of my truck at the moment. My 5 + ton truck is going to make a heck of a weapon and if I didn't manage to nuetralize all 3 BG's on the first swipe, I will have at least scattered them. Yell at the woman to grab the kid and hop in maybe?

If my truck is not feasible as a weapon, its draw and fire. If the distance is greater than I want to engage in with my pistol, well thats one of the reason's why I keep a rifle in the truck underneath the seat. If there are no immediate BGs that can do me harm, I will take out the one that is an immediate threat to the woman and child.

After any of that, a dynamic situation just became even more changing, including an extra BG with a van as a weapon. My goal would be to put down or disperse the BG's as quickly as possible. I am no longer an LEO, so I do not feel obligated to give orders, warnings, and attempt to detain anymore, not that I don't reserve the right to do so if the situation warranted it. This situation most likely does not, and trying to control 4 BG's by yourself is a deadly situation.

Calling 911 first is the first thing you do to report the incident after its over. If you want to play super hero crime fighter, you have to be ready to act instantly and dialing 911 takes away precious time in a situation that you have no time. You have to weigh and balance out when is the proper time to call 911.

Don't get me wrong, I have called 911 to get the calvary on the way when I had the time to do so before I entered a bad situation. You have to remember though, sometimes you don't have time.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Hit 911 and drop it on the seat!

As a 911 Comm. Officer I can't stress enough how important it is when using a cellphone to tell me where you are. Most Comm. Center still can't trace 911 cell calls quickly & easily.

If you call and just drop the phone there will be a nice recording (in most agencies) of the incident and hopfully if will go well, but I can't send Officers/EMS to help you if I don't know where you are.

Even cellphones that are GPS enable only give me the longitude and latitude which I then need to look up to try to locate you, all of which takes time and delays a response.

Even if you just get out your location, name and that you are a CCW holder involved in an incident...even that info alone will change the response that I send and help prepare the responding units.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by notagangsta View Post
    You've just walked down the street and got into your car which is down the road from an ATM. You're sitting in the drivers seat with your carry weapon on your hip. It's about 11pm in a deserted part of town.

You're just about to start your car up and drive up when a white van screeches to a stop in front of the ATM and 3 thugs get out with jackets on and pull one of them pulls out their Glock and points it at a woman that has a child in a stroller beside her. The BG's havn't seen you. They yell at the lady to take out all her money or they'll kill her and her baby. She's getting her money out when the BG on lookout is staring around and see's you and points at you and yells at his homey's and two of the BG's (one is armed with a knife, other apparently unarmed) heads towards your car while the one with his gun keeps getting the money from the lady. The van is still running with one gangsta inside it.

What do you do?
    Obviously:

1) Close enough to see they have Glocks

2) Close enough to see you

3) It is dark...with street lights?

I think...you will initially be dumbstruck...calling 911 will be problematic since you are still looking at them...and besides, you have to dig for your cell phone. Don't think you will be able to react that fast (since you are close enough for them to see you and you them)

4) I would go bright headlights and make them look into the sun

5) Go on the offensive with the car and my weapon. Make them go on the defensive.

I already have a credible witness...the woman. Calling 911 would be my last resort...not my first. Things happen too fast sometimes that require immediate proactions.

Rick

Lead Moderator
    Create space and evaluate. If possible call 911. 3-4 guys , one armed isn't good odds to start a shoot out. Especially with a hostage /victim in the cross fire (potentially). I would try to keep all players in sight so no one circles around you. Calling for help will get more good guys to help (and take over).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by wedoada View Post
    As a 911 Comm. Officer I can't stress enough how important it is when using a cellphone to tell me where you are. Most Comm. Center still can't trace 911 cell calls quickly & easily.

If you call and just drop the phone there will be a nice recording (in most agencies) of the incident and hopfully if will go well, but I can't send Officers/EMS to help you if I don't know where you are.

Even cellphones that are GPS enable only give me the longitude and latitude which I then need to look up to try to locate you, all of which takes time and delays a response.

Even if you just get out your location, name and that you are a CCW holder involved in an incident...even that info alone will change the response that I send and help prepare the responding units.
    a

Thanks for the advise...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links