I live next to a teenage burglar - Page 3

I live next to a teenage burglar

This is a discussion on I live next to a teenage burglar within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doc Holliday I am going to leave you with this true story from my neck of the woods. This happend to a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I live next to a teenage burglar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

I am going to leave you with this true story from my neck of the woods. This happend to a fellow on a Georgia message board I belong to. The guy from the board comes home one day to find that his home had been broken into. He immediately goes to grab his pistol but it had been stolen. Thankfully the perp hadn't stolen his SKS rifle. He grabs his SKS and calls 911. He notices that some of his electronics and other valuables have stacked in a pile in his den. He tells 911 that he believes that the perp is coming back and that he believes him to armed because his pistol has been stolen. He hears a noise at his back door and it is the perp coming back. The man aims COM and fires a couple of times dropping the perp. Perp doesn't die immediately but is on the floor crying out, "You shot me. Why? I wasn't doing anything." Finally before the perp dies he says "I was trying to get my life back on track." Perp wound up being the 20 something year old son of his next door neighbor. He had recently been paroled from prison. The shooter wasn't charged.
    He posts on this board, too, and posted about it a few months ago. I don't have the link, but if he feels like it I'm sure he can cite it.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Be Pro-Active

Most of the comments I've read thus far have had excellent advice. Being pro-active is of paramount importance, and I second any suggestion to start/maintain a neighborhood watch, alert the cops of any and all suspicious activity, keep your firearms and valuables secure.

If he thinks/knows you have guns he would most likely attempt to rob you when you're out of the house. I doubt he wants a direct confrontation, or has the spine for it. Don't let one rotten apple ruin the entire neighborhood for you, get the community together and don't try and tackle the issue on your own if you can help it.

You mentioned the boys guardians/relatives being inept, but you might also try and voice your concerns to them if you think it might help. Sometimes the realization that the neighborhood is actively looking at them can be a very strong deterrent for would-be burglars.

Be Safe and Good Luck
    People do not lack strength; they lack will. Victor Hugo

The security film for your windows look interesting. Here is the link to Shattergard security film.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    That's the real bummer... And during the burglary he was sophisticated enough to wear latex gloves. He just might be smart enough to have a scanner... which is why I was a tad upset at hearing my name and phone number going out over the air.
    In my area, a large number of the criminal element do in fact have scanners. When our tactical team have served warrants we have not only found scanners, but have also found county street maps that have had a couple police officers & deputies home addresses marked.

Meth manufacturing is very big in my part of the state, and those facing 30+ years in prison for the types of crimes they commit have learned to keep a low profile.

Some of them are very sly and do utilize counter-surveillance techniques.

Next time you have to call the police, request that your name, address or phone number not be given out over the air.

In my jurisdiction, dispatchers will respect that and simply broadcast that the reporting party does not wish to be contacted, or they will have the responding officer call the dispatch center by cell phone to get the phone number or name of the reporting party.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Allegedly.

I'm taking all the usual precautions, but am open to peoples ideas and feedback.

It looks like you are getting some good advice here. I'd also get an engraver and make sure EVERYTHING you own is engraved with your name and driver's license number (DON'T use your SSN!). That way you at least have half a chance of getting your goods back if he does succeed in stealing from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    It looks like you are getting some good advice here. I'd also get an engraver and make sure EVERYTHING you own is engraved with your name and driver's license number (DON'T use your SSN!). That way you at least have half a chance of getting your goods back if he does succeed in stealing from you.
    Not a bad idea, but I refuse to engrave my guns.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

I had called to report him again the following day when I noticed the twit walking up and down the sidewalk in front of my house. The detective informed me that they "knew where he was" but they were now looking for his 17 year old friend who they suspect was an accomplice. They "were not ready to make an arrest".
    I'm confused... he broke the law, he is armed and the police won't arrest him? Are they waiting to get a 2 fer? Wouldn't the police department be liable if this kid harms someone with a stolen gun and they could have arrested him but chose not to???

Quote Originally Posted by gwlammers View Post
    I'm confused... he broke the law, he is armed and the police won't arrest him? Are they waiting to get a 2 fer? Wouldn't the police department be liable if this kid harms someone with a stolen gun and they could have arrested him but chose not to???
    They just weren't ready to make an arrest. They have to have all their ducks in a row. I'm sure one of the LEO's on the forum can tell you that this isn't unusual. They frequently know who the bad guy is but can't make an arrest. An update on the situation is in order, however:

They did get him. Apparently the decision has been made to route him through what's known in Lakewood as the "Juvenile Assessment Center"... I haven't seen him since, but I do know that they don't hold people in the JAC. What they do is interview him, family and friends, teachers, etc.. The JAC then comes up with a recommendation for the prosecutor, which usually includes Diversion, Probation, Community Service and counseling.

Beyond that, I know nothing except these things:

• He Hasn't been seen by me or my other neighbor since he was taken to JAC. This isn't unusual, though.
    • He's probably free as a bird as a result of the Diversion stuff.
    • I don't know if the guns were recovered.
    • The information that the police will give me is very limited, since he's a Juvenile offender. They may tell me if the guns were recovered or not. That's really all I want to know anyway.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Sounds like you are doing a really good job of staying aware of the whole situation. A further step would be to address the Juvenile Court and add a statement to his record. Also, use the Criminal Trespass warning and then if he returns, you will have another charge to hold him with.
    Plant rose bushes underneath your windows or some type of thorny bush to deter someone attempting to get in your windows. Re-enforce door jams and facings and get the extra long bar locks.
    Put locking gas caps on all your automobiles to prevent being "sugared". Have a kill switch on all vehicles.
    Talk with your neighbors about buying that house.
    Speak with the local police chief about not putting peoples names out over the radio. The "walking up and down in front of your house" is a way of telling you that he knows you called in and is not afraid and psychologically claiming your turf as his.
    Don't give in and move, that just emboldens them. Since he is a juvenile, he lives where his guardians do. Your target should be his guardians. Stay on their case until they get mad and leave!! Educate your good neighbors about this tactic so the bad ones feel pressure from all sides. Bring to their attention everything that is littered by them in your neighborhood. Rain down a righteous wrath on them about everything. Any and every time there is an occasion to call the police, do so and have them document everything. Remember, if it isn't on paper, it didn't happen.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Simple Solution

PUT THIS SIGN IN YOUR WINDOW "ANYONE FOUND HERE AT NIGHT WILL BE FOUND HERE IN THE MORNING" WORKS FOR ME

If the LS comes back, you and your neighbors can get together and ask the court to put a GPS device on him. A slight deviation from his planned routes will end up in his being locked up.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    No, Harry. Bad idea. The DA will practically give you a kiss for making his case for him, as he puts you away.

If not the DA, then a shyster looking for an easy "damages" suite.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links