Defensive Carry banner

I live next to a teenage burglar

5K views 41 replies 29 participants last post by  Phillep Harding 
#1 ·
Allegedly.

It's been an interesting week at my house, to say the least. I think I've mentioned before my less than stellar neighbors in other threads, so I won't go into too much detail about them. The house next to me is a rental (section 8 housing, no less) with a landlord that's completely indifferent to the problems this particular neighbor has brought to the neighborhood.

My new drama started unfolding last week. I was working in my garage, and it was a nice spring day. Garage door open with me at the workbench. I took a short bio-break and went trotting back out to my garage. I zipped through the door and lo' and behold if there weren't three cops standing in my garage. I startled them (because they were facing out of the garage and I burst through the door behind them) and they REALLY startled me.

I asked them if there was something I could help them with and they started asking me about my neighbors, if they were home, when I had last seen them, If they could use my backyard to look into the neighbors yard, etc. I did tell them I was armed and they didn't care.

Turns out, the 15 year old troublemaker who sometimes lives next door (a broken family, so the kid splits time between various screwed up relatives), was suspected of breaking into another house a few blocks away and had stolen two guns and an Xbox. Neat. It had just happened, in broad daylight, and they were actively looking for him throughout the area, even with dogs.

They eventually had enough guys in enough directions that they approached the neighbors home. Nobody there (or nobody answering). About an hour later, some detectives came by my house (and all our neighbors homes) and asked us to keep an eye open for the kid.

Later that night, I spotted the kid going into the house and called the cops and got to watch the whole thing unfold again, but apparently he had split and they didn't catch him. (I wasn't really pleased to hear my name and phone number on the scanner) The NEXT day he wasn't so lucky, when my neighbor spotted him. But not being aware of that, I had called to report him again the following day when I noticed the twit walking up and down the sidewalk in front of my house. The detective informed me that they "knew where he was" but they were now looking for his 17 year old friend who they suspect was an accomplice. They "were not ready to make an arrest". He asked me and my neighbor across the street (a good guy) to watch for cars, take plate numbers, etc, which we've both done.

Since then, the twit just seems obsessed with hanging out in front of my house. He walks up and down the sidewalk, and the other night I went out and he and some friends were parked across the street in front of my house. I walked out and they drove off. These were all gangbanger types. I wasn't intimidated at all, and it was my wife who first suggested, "maybe they're trying to intimidate us."

Anyway... isn't it nice to know that your 15 year old gangbanger neighbor is the prime suspect in a burglary where guns were stolen?

Every cloud has a silver lining. I was trying to convince my wife that I needed to buy a new Cannon safe just two nights before all this unfolded. She kept saying she just didn't think it was necessary. The day this all started to unfold, I asked her, "what do you think of the safe now?"... She responded with, "okay. lets get the safe."

I'm taking all the usual precautions, but am open to peoples ideas and feedback.

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds to me like you're already going the right directions - cooperating with the LEO's to the fullest extent of your abilities and staying on your toes.

If you have the money, I would SERIOUSLY consider installing a few security cameras and a setup to record the feed to tape or your PC. The footage would be invaluable if anything happened - just to capture faces and license plate numbers, etc... but if he and his buddies did break in, or, God forbid, you had to defend yourself, the footage could prove your innocence, or at the very least, prove they were hanging around suspiciously and frequently.

Might want to check this out: Swann Wireless Security System with 3 NightHawk Cameras and Receiver - Wal-Mart You'd just need that and a VCR with some 8-hour tapes... Or a TV input card for your PC (around $35, NewEgg).

You also might want to look into the window safety films such as ShatterGuard for your lower-story windows, it makes breaking in via a window a much more difficult and time consuming task. A big roll of it is around $100 IIRC and can be installed in an afternoon.

Document everything as best you can - if by some horrible twist of fate you end up in court, the documentation will help a lot.

This is probably obvious, but be on high alert until the situation has been resolved, and stay armed. Best of luck.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

#3 ·
The usual home security advice etc,

Sure you have thought about it already but if the thug is suspected of stealing firearms He probably knows you have some, I dont know your states laws regarding home intrusions, so I wont even attempt to give advice on what to do, just be aware if he has robbed others of firearms he is probably carrying if he breaks into your house, Perhaps in addition to the safe you may want to consider a few stash spots for backup guns throughout the house when you are home, (I dont carry in my house but there is a gun within 10 feet of me at all times) Given the thugs recent increased activity I would be carrying at home for now.

You said the police were in your garage when you went to take a bio break, I know it sounds paranoid but if the cops got in there so could the robber, lock it up tight for now, until the thugs get evicted.
Also if they are on section 8 housing you can file a complaint with HUD regarding the criminal activity, May not be worth it to be honest with you because he will be replaced by another family who may be worse.

#4 ·
Also if they are on section 8 housing you can file a complaint with HUD regarding the criminal activity, May not be worth it to be honest with you because he will be replaced by another family who may be worse.
I was wondering if anyone might know anything about this. There have been several cases of vandalism, domestic violence, etc. at this house. Also other people living there for extended periods. What myself and my other neighbors would like to do is get the Section 8 yanked.

#5 ·
First step is to determine where the HUD money comes from, then start at that local office, explain to them the problems and while you are there get a copy of the rules section 8 has to obey, honestly if you want to get rid of the section 8 house it is going to be a struggle, but it can be done, until then document every time a violation of the housing authority happens.

If your neighbors are all of the same views, schedule a meeting with your police department to set up a crime watch program, once you have official status there you can approach hud and demand they take action. IF you give enough grief when it comes time to renew the contract with the property owner they will find another owner in another neighborhood, but be aware it is the squeeky wheel that gets the grease, and you are not the only person who does not want subsidized housing next to you. the louder the sweek the more greese your neighbors house will get.

#6 ·
My thought is...watch your 6...if guns were stolen...it probably don't take much effort, even from a 15y/o thug, to figure out who the 'good guys' are in the neighborhood, and who might be assisting the LEO...
This punk may decide to try and move up the scum bag ladder and become a real life gang banger, and use the firearms he stole...
Just my thoughts...don't know your neighborhood, etc...just my take.

#7 ·
That's the real bummer. We're two blocks from the police department in a very good neighborhood. And during the burglary he was sophisticated enough to wear latex gloves. He just might be smart enough to have a scanner... which is why I was a tad upset at hearing my name and phone number going out over the air.

My feeling is that if a teenage boy steals a gun. That gun will get shot.

Most of the neighbors are very aware and feel the same as me. All but one of them has or will call the cops when needed, but one neighbor will not out of fear of retribution.

I'm pretty certain he knows I have guns. Carrying my gun in from a camping trip 5 years ago or so, he saw it and asked me, "is that an airsoft?" I responded with, "yup". He said, "it looks real." and I said something along the lines of, "yeah, I know."

But no longer being a 10 year old... he probably knows better now.

Now if I could just get my wife to carry...

#8 ·
I'd make their lives miserable so they would want to leave.... Of course it would all have to be clandestine so nobody knows, but I could recommend some books from Paladin press.....

Of course the other thing you could do is just get together with your neighbors and sue the landlord for affecting your property values....

#10 ·
they are all my cameras attached to a server ive made that stays in my closet. it is oil cooled. i am the first one that will see it. so i will just cut me out of it.
Then you just add evidence tampering and obstruction charges. The video is a good idea, but the only violent action that's justifiable is self defense. Now, having said that, if someone breaks in I will apply the force needed to neutralize the threat. But I won't go and kick their corpse. So no beating will be necessary at all.

The good news is that with the constant contact with the local PD, they are aware of my concerns and have heard about the possible intimidation tactics. I've been told by two officers that they're dying to catch this punk.

My big concerns are what happens when I'm not around.

But I do carry all day every day, even around the house. Gun comes off at night and is readily accessible bedside.

#11 ·
Opinions...

On the neighbor (neighborhood)...move!

On the safe...buy bigger than you think you need!

Stay armed...watch your neighbors...stay safe!

#12 ·
IMHO and it was me, I'd move - and it couldn't be soon enough.

#16 ·
You are doing all the right stuff - staying on top of it with the police and neighbors - not much more you can do.

Chances are he will end up in juvie or jail before long and then at some point his family will leave and hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Until the next loser moves in... gotta get that section 8 revoked.

#17 ·
Heres some legal stuff that might help you: (a PHA is an non federal entity that administers Section 8 programs/funds)

24 CFR Sec 982.551(L) - Crime by household members. The members of the household may not engage in drug-related criminal activity or violent criminal activity or other criminal activity that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of other residents and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises (see § 982.553).

24 CFR Sec 982.553(c) Evidence of criminal activity. The PHA may terminate assistance for criminal activity by a household member as authorized in this section if the PHA determines, based on a preponderance of the evidence, that the household member has engaged in the activity, regardless of whether the household member has been arrested or convicted for such activity.

The only problem may lay here:

24 CFR Sec 982.553(b)(2) Terminating assistance for other criminals. The PHA must establish standards that allow the PHA to terminate assistance under the program for a family if the PHA determines that any household member has violated the family’s obligation under § 982.551 not to engage in violent criminal activity.

The PHA needs to have some sort of guidelines as to what is the criteria to cease participation on the Section 8 program. There may be some guidelines as there may be non at all. My advice is to file a complaint with the Lakewood Housing Authority (Lakewood seems to be the PHA for your area from the details you have given [Tenant Based Section 8])

If the PHA doesn't help you, try HUD's Regional Office. Of course you can always try HUD's OIG.

Not all Section 8 participants are criminals. Many are elderly or disabled people. Others are low wage workers and even veterans. Definetly do your best to prevent your neighbors from receiving any more aid, since they seem not to deserve it.

#18 ·
I wanted to take a time-out here to say something. It has been brought to my attention that blaming Section 8 housing for my problems is akin to blaming guns for crime.

I couldn't agree more and I'm sorry. I do not object to Section 8, and really shouldn't have framed it that way at all. In this case, the problem lies squarely and inexorably on the owner and tenants of this property who are willfully ignoring the requirements and responsibilities of being Section 8 participants (in many more ways than what I've described).

I do agree with the last post, many are elderly and the disabled. I will try to keep the blame where it really belongs from now on. :) Apologies if I came across sounding like a bigot.

#20 ·
sorry to hear about all your troubles. good luck and be safe.
hope they catch em soon,with the weapons(don"t need those
on the streets).good to hear you have neinbors that are helping
out also.alot of times,some people just don"t want to get involved.

#23 ·
Allegedly.
Anyway... isn't it nice to know that your 15 year old gangbanger neighbor is the prime suspect in a burglary where guns were stolen?
I know what you're going through. Years ago I had a next door neighbor kid that started out the same way, breaking unto houses, stealing guns and anything else of value. He even broke into his own house (broke a door to make it look like there had been a break in) He then graduated to producing and distributing meth.

He eventually got caught, did a plea to get a reduced sentence, then got out early on parole. Don't take any chances with this guy or his friends.

#24 · (Edited)
We have had a couple of homes in my development become section 8 so I feel your pain. Gangster types. Loud car stereos at all hours, trash thrown in the yard, beer bottles, ignorant people that stand in the middle of the street at all hours and refuse to move for uncoming traffic, unsupervised toddlers playing in the street, police cars constantly at those homes. Heck the other night the police were chasing one on a crotch rocket through our subdivision. I talked to one of the officers who was searching for the suspect. When my wife I moved here 7 years ago in was a awesome place. The last year and half not so nice. We can't move right now because we can't afford to and if we sale in this market we might take a beating on the equity we have in our home.

Watch your back and stay armed as much as possible. I would invest in a good security system. Keep the security system on when you are gone and at night. Consider getting a big dog as well to keep in the house. That might be your best deterent right there. I would recomend a Boxer because they are protective, mean looking, but on the other hand are great family dogs that aren't agressive with children. I have a 100 pound Lab right now. She will not guard but she will bark and is relied on mainly for early warning along with my security system.

I am going to leave you with this true story from my neck of the woods. This happend to a fellow on a Georgia message board I belong to. The guy from the board comes home one day to find that his home had been broken into. He immediately goes to grab his pistol but it had been stolen. Thankfully the perp hadn't stolen his SKS rifle. He grabs his SKS and calls 911. He notices that some of his electronics and other valuables have stacked in a pile in his den. He tells 911 that he believes that the perp is coming back and that he believes him to armed because his pistol has been stolen. He hears a noise at his back door and it is the perp coming back. The man aims COM and fires a couple of times dropping the perp. Perp doesn't die immediately but is on the floor crying out, "You shot me. Why? I wasn't doing anything." Finally before the perp dies he says "I was trying to get my life back on track." Perp wound up being the 20 something year old son of his next door neighbor. He had recently been paroled from prison. The shooter wasn't charged.

#25 ·
The man aims COM and fires a couple of times dropping the perp. Perp doesn't die immediately but is on the floor crying out, "You shot me. Why? I wasn't doing anything." Finally before the perp dies he says "I was trying to get my life back on track." Perp wound up being the 20 something year old son of his next door neighbor. He had recently been paroled from prison. The shooter wasn't charged.
Burglary is getting "back on track"? :nono:

#28 ·
OK...enough with the Section 8 housing comments.

Personal opinions have been duly noted.
The thread is really about BlackPR and his troublesome neighbors who just happen to be living in a Section 8 but, there are PLENTY of bad neighbors who own their own homes and no shortage of terrible neighbors who rent in non-Section 8.

Let us try to restrict our comments to what specifically will be of useful help to the member and (from this point forward) "can" the extraneous, personal opinion Section 8 housing comments that serve no real useful purpose save to sidetrack the thread away from what will directly benefit the member.

#30 ·
BlackPR, I feel your pain. At least Lakewood's finest are doing something. In Edgewater (1 square mile with our own police force = 12 officers, 15 patrol cars) they prefer to just wait it out, the criminal will stop eventually, or move on to the next jurisdiction.

We had the same thing happening a few months ago. Some high school student, already on a home arrest bracelet hit 21 houses in 3 months. Finally got caught by some 70 something retired guy who saw him hitting his neighbors house, called the cops, grabbed his pistol and went after him. Not smart, but the week before the kid stole 2 guns.

Stay armed, teach the wife to shoot the scatter gun, and get your neighbors to watch each others back. If I remember correctly, you have an alarm system that calls you, you might want to add one of your neighbors to the list of recipients.

#32 ·
Be Pro-Active

Most of the comments I've read thus far have had excellent advice. Being pro-active is of paramount importance, and I second any suggestion to start/maintain a neighborhood watch, alert the cops of any and all suspicious activity, keep your firearms and valuables secure.

If he thinks/knows you have guns he would most likely attempt to rob you when you're out of the house. I doubt he wants a direct confrontation, or has the spine for it. Don't let one rotten apple ruin the entire neighborhood for you, get the community together and don't try and tackle the issue on your own if you can help it.

You mentioned the boys guardians/relatives being inept, but you might also try and voice your concerns to them if you think it might help. Sometimes the realization that the neighborhood is actively looking at them can be a very strong deterrent for would-be burglars.

Be Safe and Good Luck

#33 ·
The security film for your windows look interesting. Here is the link to Shattergard security film.

#35 ·
Allegedly.

I'm taking all the usual precautions, but am open to peoples ideas and feedback.

It looks like you are getting some good advice here. I'd also get an engraver and make sure EVERYTHING you own is engraved with your name and driver's license number (DON'T use your SSN!). That way you at least have half a chance of getting your goods back if he does succeed in stealing from you.

#36 ·
Not a bad idea, but I refuse to engrave my guns. :wink:

#37 ·
I had called to report him again the following day when I noticed the twit walking up and down the sidewalk in front of my house. The detective informed me that they "knew where he was" but they were now looking for his 17 year old friend who they suspect was an accomplice. They "were not ready to make an arrest".
I'm confused... he broke the law, he is armed and the police won't arrest him? Are they waiting to get a 2 fer? Wouldn't the police department be liable if this kid harms someone with a stolen gun and they could have arrested him but chose not to???:tumbleweed:

#38 ·
They just weren't ready to make an arrest. They have to have all their ducks in a row. I'm sure one of the LEO's on the forum can tell you that this isn't unusual. They frequently know who the bad guy is but can't make an arrest. An update on the situation is in order, however:

They did get him. Apparently the decision has been made to route him through what's known in Lakewood as the "Juvenile Assessment Center"... I haven't seen him since, but I do know that they don't hold people in the JAC. What they do is interview him, family and friends, teachers, etc.. The JAC then comes up with a recommendation for the prosecutor, which usually includes Diversion, Probation, Community Service and counseling.

Beyond that, I know nothing except these things:

• He Hasn't been seen by me or my other neighbor since he was taken to JAC. This isn't unusual, though.
  • He's probably free as a bird as a result of the Diversion stuff.
  • I don't know if the guns were recovered.
  • The information that the police will give me is very limited, since he's a Juvenile offender. They may tell me if the guns were recovered or not. That's really all I want to know anyway.

#39 ·
Sounds like you are doing a really good job of staying aware of the whole situation. A further step would be to address the Juvenile Court and add a statement to his record. Also, use the Criminal Trespass warning and then if he returns, you will have another charge to hold him with.
Plant rose bushes underneath your windows or some type of thorny bush to deter someone attempting to get in your windows. Re-enforce door jams and facings and get the extra long bar locks.
Put locking gas caps on all your automobiles to prevent being "sugared". Have a kill switch on all vehicles.
Talk with your neighbors about buying that house.
Speak with the local police chief about not putting peoples names out over the radio. The "walking up and down in front of your house" is a way of telling you that he knows you called in and is not afraid and psychologically claiming your turf as his.
Don't give in and move, that just emboldens them. Since he is a juvenile, he lives where his guardians do. Your target should be his guardians. Stay on their case until they get mad and leave!! Educate your good neighbors about this tactic so the bad ones feel pressure from all sides. Bring to their attention everything that is littered by them in your neighborhood. Rain down a righteous wrath on them about everything. Any and every time there is an occasion to call the police, do so and have them document everything. Remember, if it isn't on paper, it didn't happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.