I live next to a teenage burglar

This is a discussion on I live next to a teenage burglar within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Allegedly. It's been an interesting week at my house, to say the least. I think I've mentioned before my less than stellar neighbors in other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I live next to a teenage burglar

Allegedly.

It's been an interesting week at my house, to say the least. I think I've mentioned before my less than stellar neighbors in other threads, so I won't go into too much detail about them. The house next to me is a rental (section 8 housing, no less) with a landlord that's completely indifferent to the problems this particular neighbor has brought to the neighborhood.

My new drama started unfolding last week. I was working in my garage, and it was a nice spring day. Garage door open with me at the workbench. I took a short bio-break and went trotting back out to my garage. I zipped through the door and lo' and behold if there weren't three cops standing in my garage. I startled them (because they were facing out of the garage and I burst through the door behind them) and they REALLY startled me.

I asked them if there was something I could help them with and they started asking me about my neighbors, if they were home, when I had last seen them, If they could use my backyard to look into the neighbors yard, etc. I did tell them I was armed and they didn't care.

Turns out, the 15 year old troublemaker who sometimes lives next door (a broken family, so the kid splits time between various screwed up relatives), was suspected of breaking into another house a few blocks away and had stolen two guns and an Xbox. Neat. It had just happened, in broad daylight, and they were actively looking for him throughout the area, even with dogs.

They eventually had enough guys in enough directions that they approached the neighbors home. Nobody there (or nobody answering). About an hour later, some detectives came by my house (and all our neighbors homes) and asked us to keep an eye open for the kid.

Later that night, I spotted the kid going into the house and called the cops and got to watch the whole thing unfold again, but apparently he had split and they didn't catch him. (I wasn't really pleased to hear my name and phone number on the scanner) The NEXT day he wasn't so lucky, when my neighbor spotted him. But not being aware of that, I had called to report him again the following day when I noticed the twit walking up and down the sidewalk in front of my house. The detective informed me that they "knew where he was" but they were now looking for his 17 year old friend who they suspect was an accomplice. They "were not ready to make an arrest". He asked me and my neighbor across the street (a good guy) to watch for cars, take plate numbers, etc, which we've both done.

Since then, the twit just seems obsessed with hanging out in front of my house. He walks up and down the sidewalk, and the other night I went out and he and some friends were parked across the street in front of my house. I walked out and they drove off. These were all gangbanger types. I wasn't intimidated at all, and it was my wife who first suggested, "maybe they're trying to intimidate us."

Anyway... isn't it nice to know that your 15 year old gangbanger neighbor is the prime suspect in a burglary where guns were stolen?

Every cloud has a silver lining. I was trying to convince my wife that I needed to buy a new Cannon safe just two nights before all this unfolded. She kept saying she just didn't think it was necessary. The day this all started to unfold, I asked her, "what do you think of the safe now?"... She responded with, "okay. lets get the safe."

I'm taking all the usual precautions, but am open to peoples ideas and feedback.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

It sounds to me like you're already going the right directions - cooperating with the LEO's to the fullest extent of your abilities and staying on your toes.

If you have the money, I would SERIOUSLY consider installing a few security cameras and a setup to record the feed to tape or your PC. The footage would be invaluable if anything happened - just to capture faces and license plate numbers, etc... but if he and his buddies did break in, or, God forbid, you had to defend yourself, the footage could prove your innocence, or at the very least, prove they were hanging around suspiciously and frequently.

Might want to check this out: Swann Wireless Security System with 3 NightHawk Cameras and Receiver - Wal-Mart You'd just need that and a VCR with some 8-hour tapes... Or a TV input card for your PC (around $35, NewEgg).

You also might want to look into the window safety films such as ShatterGuard for your lower-story windows, it makes breaking in via a window a much more difficult and time consuming task. A big roll of it is around $100 IIRC and can be installed in an afternoon.

Document everything as best you can - if by some horrible twist of fate you end up in court, the documentation will help a lot.

This is probably obvious, but be on high alert until the situation has been resolved, and stay armed. Best of luck.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

The usual home security advice etc,

Sure you have thought about it already but if the thug is suspected of stealing firearms He probably knows you have some, I dont know your states laws regarding home intrusions, so I wont even attempt to give advice on what to do, just be aware if he has robbed others of firearms he is probably carrying if he breaks into your house, Perhaps in addition to the safe you may want to consider a few stash spots for backup guns throughout the house when you are home, (I dont carry in my house but there is a gun within 10 feet of me at all times) Given the thugs recent increased activity I would be carrying at home for now.

You said the police were in your garage when you went to take a bio break, I know it sounds paranoid but if the cops got in there so could the robber, lock it up tight for now, until the thugs get evicted.
    Also if they are on section 8 housing you can file a complaint with HUD regarding the criminal activity, May not be worth it to be honest with you because he will be replaced by another family who may be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    Also if they are on section 8 housing you can file a complaint with HUD regarding the criminal activity, May not be worth it to be honest with you because he will be replaced by another family who may be worse.
    I was wondering if anyone might know anything about this. There have been several cases of vandalism, domestic violence, etc. at this house. Also other people living there for extended periods. What myself and my other neighbors would like to do is get the Section 8 yanked.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

First step is to determine where the HUD money comes from, then start at that local office, explain to them the problems and while you are there get a copy of the rules section 8 has to obey, honestly if you want to get rid of the section 8 house it is going to be a struggle, but it can be done, until then document every time a violation of the housing authority happens.

If your neighbors are all of the same views, schedule a meeting with your police department to set up a crime watch program, once you have official status there you can approach hud and demand they take action. IF you give enough grief when it comes time to renew the contract with the property owner they will find another owner in another neighborhood, but be aware it is the squeeky wheel that gets the grease, and you are not the only person who does not want subsidized housing next to you. the louder the sweek the more greese your neighbors house will get.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    My thought is...watch your 6...if guns were stolen...it probably don't take much effort, even from a 15y/o thug, to figure out who the 'good guys' are in the neighborhood, and who might be assisting the LEO...
    This punk may decide to try and move up the scum bag ladder and become a real life gang banger, and use the firearms he stole...
    Just my thoughts...don't know your neighborhood, etc...just my take.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    My thought is...watch your 6...if guns were stolen...it probably don't take much effort, even from a 15y/o thug, to figure out who the 'good guys' are in the neighborhood, and who might be assisting the LEO...
    This punk may decide to try and move up the scum bag ladder and become a real life gang banger, and use the firearms he stole...
    Just my thoughts...don't know your neighborhood, etc...just my take.
    That's the real bummer. We're two blocks from the police department in a very good neighborhood. And during the burglary he was sophisticated enough to wear latex gloves. He just might be smart enough to have a scanner... which is why I was a tad upset at hearing my name and phone number going out over the air.

My feeling is that if a teenage boy steals a gun. That gun will get shot.

Most of the neighbors are very aware and feel the same as me. All but one of them has or will call the cops when needed, but one neighbor will not out of fear of retribution.

I'm pretty certain he knows I have guns. Carrying my gun in from a camping trip 5 years ago or so, he saw it and asked me, "is that an airsoft?" I responded with, "yup". He said, "it looks real." and I said something along the lines of, "yeah, I know."

But no longer being a 10 year old... he probably knows better now.

Now if I could just get my wife to carry...

I'd make their lives miserable so they would want to leave.... Of course it would all have to be clandestine so nobody knows, but I could recommend some books from Paladin press.....

Of course the other thing you could do is just get together with your neighbors and sue the landlord for affecting your property values....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Watch your back on this punk.... He has more time to watch you than you have time to watch him..
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by uakaos View Post
    they are all my cameras attached to a server ive made that stays in my closet. it is oil cooled. i am the first one that will see it. so i will just cut me out of it.
    Then you just add evidence tampering and obstruction charges. The video is a good idea, but the only violent action that's justifiable is self defense. Now, having said that, if someone breaks in I will apply the force needed to neutralize the threat. But I won't go and kick their corpse. So no beating will be necessary at all.

The good news is that with the constant contact with the local PD, they are aware of my concerns and have heard about the possible intimidation tactics. I've been told by two officers that they're dying to catch this punk.

My big concerns are what happens when I'm not around.

But I do carry all day every day, even around the house. Gun comes off at night and is readily accessible bedside.

Opinions...

On the neighbor (neighborhood)...move!

On the safe...buy bigger than you think you need!

Stay armed...watch your neighbors...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IMHO and it was me, I'd move - and it couldn't be soon enough.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    That's kinda letting the gangsta's win isn't it? If the cops aren't doing anything and you're just moving out, they'll do whatever they feel like without fear..

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    This is an oddity in our neighborhood. All a result of the Section 8 classification. They are renters. We are owners. The owner of that particular house doesn't care, because half of his rent payment is guaranteed from the government every month. They're paying half his mortgage. We've been here for over 15 years, no way are we gonna pack our bags everytime an undesirable blows through.

However, I am going to try to get the section 8 revoked. That will probably take some time, however.

VIP Member
    Also call Child Services. Repeatedly if you have to.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links