How would you know? - Page 3

How would you know?

This is a discussion on How would you know? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have an alarm but only set it when we leave. We don't use the "stay" mode at night but probably should. It does chime ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How would you know?

VIP Member
    We have an alarm but only set it when we leave. We don't use the "stay" mode at night but probably should. It does chime whenever an exterior door is opened or closed. Each evening my wife and I take turns (it seems it's mostly my turn) going around the house and closing the blinds/drapes and checking the doors to make sure they are locked.

We don't have anything against dogs, it's just the fact we don't have one right now. However you'd be surprised how quickly our cats alert to someone knocking at the door, or someone opening the door, or even a strange noise. They are compelled to go check it out, and they freak out if it's someone they don't know coming in. I think they make pretty good alarm cats. They can really hear good.

We also have 4 exterior security cameras, so that I can do a search and maybe get a clue to the source of an unknown night noise after the fact. Of course my camera monitor is right next to the computer, so sometimes I see someone coming to the house before they ever get here. There are outside motion lights also.

My wife is a light sleeper for innocent noises, I'm a light sleeper for suspicious noises.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Uh, er, that is about to change. Sleep deprivation will change a few things.
    I went 4 years of 3-4 hours of sleep, then a series of 1 hour naps after that before I got my prescription. Some things don't change, just make you a little memory impaired.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

3 Akitas, 2 attack cats, alarm, motion sensor lighting outside, and really good neighbors

Big dog,little dog, motion sensors!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

A fine and curious pair of Cairn Terriers, who actively compete to see who can beat who to the door, the window, or anything that rouses their curiosity.
    Amazing how two yapping, snarling, rolling, knock-the-other-one-down, short-coupled, close-to-the-ground dogs can resemble a stampeding herd! (Plus they are cheap entertainment!)
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    I have 2 dogs, but I also have a nearly impenetrable alarm system that is constantly on patrol outside. This system warns me of predators of the 2 & 4 legged variety. It also has many backups & unless the BG can take out multiple moving targets at the same time QUIETLY, they aren't getting near the house.

Here is a picture of a few of them...the exact number is classified!
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    alarm and I leave a lot of stuff laying around to trip over........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    dog-boxer....motion sensors lights...and alot of kids toys...I know my house and can't walk through in the dark without tripping over them.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

For my dog to wake up they would either have to have food on them or trip over her,I don't sleep very deep due to a medical condition and am up and down evry couple hours,if a cricket farts i can hear it,I also have night lights that make it easy to see rest of house but my bedroom is dark
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I have 2 dogs, but I also have a nearly impenetrable alarm system that is constantly on patrol outside. This system warns me of predators of the 2 & 4 legged variety. It also has many backups & unless the BG can take out multiple moving targets at the same time QUIETLY, they aren't getting near the house.

Darn Alarm Geese, foils burglars every time
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post

You ain't kidding some military installations use to use geese as an alarm system,very effective
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Outside dog and inside dog.

For those of you with a dog, you may be interested in what happen to us a few years ago where we use to live.

It seems some BGs went around our small neighborhood, and pitched out hamburger with poison in it to yards of everyone who had a larger outside dog.

The county Sheriff was a friend of mine, so when the vet diagnosed poisoning, I called it in, and sure enough the Sheriff came over on his way home.

He asked me if I had any idea who would do that, and when I told him other dogs in the neighborhood where dropping, he said watch out, the BGs are coming.

And sure enough about two weeks later all the stuff worth while was stolen out of my garage while my wife was at home. And a house, about a block away was broke into, and they took everything of value.

So, moral of the story is; if out of no ware, you dog ups and dies, get ready.

The Paul Harvey; or the rest of the story

About a few weeks had passed and my wife noticed an older pickup truck driving down our one way private road with two shady looking guys.

I picked up my Glock 19 and cell and since I knew they would have to turn around and come back by, I waited for them in the middle of the road.

Since they where at this point only guilty of simple trespassing, I had no reason to shoot, I waved for them to stop, they did not. I called in their tag number, as I was forced to step out of they way for them to passed.

The Sheriffs department searched all the construction sites, in the area and found the older pickup truck matching description and tag number. They brought the two guns in for questioning, and one of the BGs gave up the self storage where all the stolen stuff was.

Since this was not their first run in with the LAW they are still in jail today.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I lock all doors and windows. Close all blinds. You'd be surprised how many people neglect this step.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2 Jack Russel Terriers.

The most reliable alarm system in the world.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links