What's your home defense plan?

This is a discussion on What's your home defense plan? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Home defense plan. General strategy: make him come to me, then make him wish he had not. Environment: Suburban Florida. Generally quiet area. Legal parameters ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your home defense plan?

Senior Moderator
    Home defense plan.

General strategy: make him come to me, then make him wish he had not.

Environment: Suburban Florida. Generally quiet area. Legal parameters give wide latitude. There is a statutory presumption that one is in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm when confronting an unknown intruder in one's own home.

Specific implementation: the way our residence is laid out, the sleeping quarters are down a hallway from the main living areas. Dogs and alarm should provide adequate warning to take position at bedroom door, covered by wall, with view of approach hallway.

Tactical light will be used for target ID and disorientation. Subject in hallway will have limited mobility laterally, and be within very reliable range for effective fire.

What I do not plan to do is go engage the intruder in the living areas. If he takes the TV, well, it belongs to the insurance company at that point anyway. I am not going to kill to save my insurance company a few hundred bucks.

That, in a nutshell, is my plan and the thought process behind it.

Comments, critiques, even "well, that's just dumb" welcomed.

Matt

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE=MattLarson]Home defense plan.

General strategy: make him come to me, then make him wish he had not.

Environment: Suburban Florida. Generally quiet area. Legal parameters give wide latitude. There is a statutory presumption that one is in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm when confronting an unknown intruder in one's own home.

Specific implementation: the way our residence is laid out, the sleeping quarters are down a hallway from the main living areas. Dogs and alarm should provide adequate warning to take position at bedroom door, covered by wall, with view of approach hallway.

Tactical light will be used for target ID and disorientation. Subject in hallway will have limited mobility laterally, and be within very reliable range for effective fire.

What I do not plan to do is go engage the intruder in the living areas. If he takes the TV, well, it belongs to the insurance company at that point anyway. I am not going to kill to save my insurance company a few hundred bucks.

That, in a nutshell, is my plan and the thought process behind it.

Comments, critiques, even "well, that's just dumb" welcomed.

Matt[/QUOTE

Shoot, then invite the idiot in and while you are back clutching your 1911 or 870 with your knees knocking. He can just make himself a ham sandwhich. Any intruder that comes into my house has a fight on his hands. Nuff Said.....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Matt - I'm with you. Secure family - first priority. Though honestly, once I rack a round into the 870 and he hasn't left the premises - I'm not so sure he's just after the TV.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion
    Shoot, then invite the idiot in and while you are back clutching your 1911 or 870 with your knees knocking. He can just make himself a ham sandwhich. Any intruder that comes into my house has a fight on his hands. Nuff Said.....
    So you feel that a ham sandwich is justification to kill. Or maybe to be killed? I mean, I am sure we are all uber-tactical, never miss Rambo lookalikes, but the bad guys do get lucky sometimes.....

Matt

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    Matt - I'm with you. Secure family - first priority. Though honestly, once I rack a round into the 870 and he hasn't left the premises - I'm not so sure he's just after the TV.
    Copy that. I plan to announce I am armed - if he still comes down the hall, the presumption is he has more on his mind than a TV.

The announcement will be useful later on the 911 tape if the BG does come down the hall...

Matt

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I'm not going to kill anyone for a sandwich, or any other material object. I will, however, kill someone for entering my house illegally.

My plan is defensive, and I'm not oing to go clearing the house unless I have to do so, but if he enters my killzone I will take him out.

My baseline assumption is that any intruder presents a deadly threat.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I'm with BlueLion. An intruder in the house is a target. Not my problem to decide why he is there.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40
    I'm with BlueLion. An intruder in the house is a target. Not my problem to decide why he is there.
    Even so, going to him is less advantageous than letting him come to you.

If you are moving into a room, you have to scan a much larger area than if you make him come down the hall to you. You get a covered position, he gets a narrow area without cover.

No brainer as to who has the advantage there.

Matt

I don't think the question is - do you shoot someone in your home. I think the question is really boiling down to:

Intruder is in the house. You have you and your family are secured in your safe room - including the dog, cat, and Ammo the goldfish. Do you A) Stay put and defend or B) Go out and look for him.

Senior Moderator
    If you and yours are secure in the room, going and looking for him is:

A. Tactically unsound
    B. An anti-gun prosecutor's dream
    C. A plaintiff's attorney's dream
    D. All of the above

If you picked anything but D, you should re-think the situation.

Leave emotion out of it for the moment. Yeah, the rotten son of a ***** is in your house. OK. Understood.

If you go to him, you are initiating the use of force. If you go to him, you are placing him at an advantage if he hears you coming, because he can move to cover / concealment and open up on you as you enter a room.

If you let him come to you, you have the advantage because being a smart person, you will have selected a position that offers cover and presents an engagement where he has limited movement options (i.e. coming down the hallway to the bedroom).

Depending on where you live, you may be just fine if you go looking for him and kill him where you find him (think Florida). Or, you may well be facing prosecution for not allowing him to fire a few rounds at you first to keep things sporting (think Maryland).

Again, testosterone aside, making him come to you is the intelligent thing to do. Going out and looking for him is unwise at best, IMHO.

Matt

B and C don't apply in some states - including yours Matt.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    B and C don't apply in some states - including yours Matt.
    I know. OTOH, my example is not far off in Maryland (and some other places). You've gotta let the bad guy feel good about himself before you shoot him......

Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links