Lethal force to prevent child abduction?

This is a discussion on Lethal force to prevent child abduction? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Colorado law states that you can use deadly force to prevent a kidnapping....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lethal force to prevent child abduction?

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Colorado law states that you can use deadly force to prevent a kidnapping.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    One of MY kids? Being kidnapped, for certain and sure?

Can I shoot the guy who's doing it?

I think maybe the question should be "when do I have to STOP shooting: before the police get there or when they tell me to put the gun down?"
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post

I think maybe the question should be "when do I have to STOP shooting?"
    I'd say you have to stop shooting when you run out of ammo.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

The coroner would remove 16 rounds of .45 ACP 230 grain JHP out of a corpse (or suffering body) (8 from me and 8 from JD) and they'd have to pry me from the scene because I would have reloaded and I'd still be covering the body from a safe distance.

No one tries to take my child from me and gets away without getting at least shot at.

In Nevada..... HELL YES!
    You would legally have more than a reasonable expectation tht the child will be subjected to substantial bodily harm.

The same goes for an adult for that matter.

As was mentioned above, you must be sure that it is a true abduction, not a parental dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by rjnsn View Post
    Here in the people's republic of Massachusetts, lethal force would almost always result in court action. Having three children I can say, without any hesitation, that I would go to jail with a smile on my face for having done the right thing. Someday our legislators will legalize freedom again and we will ALL be able to defend ourselves without fear of imprisonment for doing so.
    And ironically, you would probably have a real easy time in there from both the inmates and guards, presuming it was an actual abduction.

The one thing law abiding citizens and violent criminals agree on and do not tolerate, child molesters.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I'd say you have to stop shooting when you run out of ammo.

+1 Might even send someone to my house to pick up more ammo.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Living in Texas makes these things sooooo easy to answer!
    Yup! I can do that! (Of course only would if there was no other viable option)
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    Talk on the radio brought up in my mind a situation that I didnt know right away how to resolve: Can you use lethal force to prevent a child from being abducted? Of course it might not be clear if something is a true abduction if you dont know the child--it could be horseplay or a parent dealing with an unruly kid, but if you KNEW the child was being abducted (your own kid etc) could you use lethal force?

If the abductor was unarmed?
    If I knew for sure it was an abduction it would not matter if it were my child or yours - the perp would release the child or he/she would be shot. If for some reason I could not take a shot (safety of child), I would shoot out tires. I know the child's only sure chance at safety is not to go with the perp. Above all means do not let the perp get away with the child.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Although I don't have kids, if I did and I was in such a situation, I would not hesitate for a milisecond. I'd rather face a court for murder than have a child taken away and potentially raped/killed. I don't care if the abductor is armed or not. If that child leaves your sight with the stranger, there's a good chance you'll never see him again.

This is one of the few times I'd say "screw the law, do what you need to do". Family comes first.

However, I don't think many juries would convict you for it, if the case was reasonably clean-cut.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Absolutely... I would rather face 12 than be looking and hoping that my child is still alive. I looked at NC law, and while it isn't clear, I believe it would be a technical violation, but I seriously doubt a conviction. I would never vote to convict under these circumstances myself though. I fee that a reasonable person would believe that the child is in risk of immediate serious bodily injury, so I call it justified.

Quote Originally Posted by i12flytoday View Post
    Absolutely... I would rather face 12 than be looking and hoping that my child is still alive. I looked at NC law, and while it isn't clear, I believe it would be a technical violation, but I seriously doubt a conviction. I would never vote to convict under these circumstances myself though. I fee that a reasonable person would believe that the child is in risk of immediate serious bodily injury, so I call it justified.
    Technical violation or not I would't care. If someone is kidnapping a child and I can reasonably assume that it is a real kidnapping I am going to get involved and if that means blowing him away, so be it. I will take my chances on the legallity of it later. If we have reached the point that we have to worry about whether or not something is legal while trying to protect ourselves and our families we have reached a low point both in our laws and ourselves.

It's like when they asked the woman why she shot the two men threatening to kill her 12 year old son 19 times. She replied that the scum bags weren't worth the trouble of reloading.

You're kidding, right?

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    do whatever you need to do with the least amount of force that will be successful.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by STORMVET View Post
    I'd rather sit in front of a jury for protecting my child than to sit on the front pew at my childs funeral.
    That was exactly the thoughts running thru my head. I am not a parent yet but I do babysit my friends kids occasionally and they know that Uncle Keith would do almost anything for them. The same will be said about my kids when I am home long enough to have kids.
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Missouri specifically authorized deadly force to prevent a kidnapping, so if the circumstances were such that I was sure…..then YES; I couldn’t live with myself if I let a child get kidnapped and murdered.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links