Let Me Share This Story With You

This is a discussion on Let Me Share This Story With You within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I put this story in this particular forum for a reason...you'll see how it "fits" once you read the E-mail that I just received. Two ...

Thread: Let Me Share This Story With You

Administrator

Let Me Share This Story With You

I put this story in this particular forum for a reason...you'll see how it "fits" once you read the E-mail that I just received.
    Two friends of mine from Texas - living in Galveston - & caught up in that unexpected natural disaster.
    They did everything right and Got Out (left) EARLY (at first warning) & things still did not go according to plan.
    They followed instructions.
    By The Way - They do not own a defensive firearm
    - and their fate and their lives were placed in potential grave mortal danger. Thanks to a GOOD person (a retired EMS person) they came through their scenario alive and not much worse off for the wear.
    This is the story of Miles and his wonderful wife.
    Miles is a Doctor and the author of three medical books in his field.
    He is absolutely brilliant & his wife is sincere, generous, and loving beyond belief. Trust me...Trina would never have to work a day in her life but, she does volunteer work at the hospital every day & buys toys for all of the kids in Terminal & Critical Care.
    She is an amazing and selfless person.
    I wanted you good forum people to read this BECAUSE I know that so many of you would have done exactly the same thing that Mr. G. did.
    The world is a much better place because of people like you.
    We can never allow the predators to take over for then they have won...and civil society is doomed for us as well as the children of tomorrow. Here is the E-mail.

Dearest W. & C.

It's obvious your hopes and prayers did indeed help quite a bit. Our home was saved and in the condition we left it.

Our odyssey was amazing, distressing, and prolonged. We were on the road (the gridlock you saw on TV) from 5:30 am until 7:30 pm (14 hrs) and had gone only 65 miles (our destination was Austin!). When we stopped for gas in Houston, our car stalled, and we couldn't get it started. Generous others tried to help us, including the use of jumper cables, and they finally pushed our car into the light of the service station. Miles called all the Emergency numbers, asked the station owner to call a mechanic or even a wrecker...nothing.

Gene G. (a man) walked up to our car and asked if we needed help. He identified himself as a retired EMS-fireman and an amateur mechanic, and he was plainly a nice man. I honestly believe that God sent him to us. He went home (he lived nearby), to return in his truck with his wife. They used an extra-something cable, and were able to help us restart the car. But no air conditioning in 100 degree heat. He led us to a hotel, but they had no vacancy. So we went to his house, where he gave us something to drink and a cool place to think.
    He also offered to allow us to stay in his living room for the night. Such generosity. What irked me was that Miles wanted to accept the invitation until I gave him a dirty look as I felt scared in a stranger`s home. We were in a seedy part of Houston and I was sooo scared to death. We called Caren (our daughter) to explain our situation, and she called her friend, Touela, (we know Touela well) who had also been on the road all day and who was going to stay with her friend and co-worker. Touela asked her friend to take us in, and she quickly agreed. So they picked us up (we left the car at Mr. G.'s, to return in the morning to try to get it fixed). The car returned to normal all by itself.

Touela`s friend looked after us for two days, bless her heart (her husband had to be at work elsewhere). Then we went to Touela's house (when it was safe to go) and stayed there for another day. We returned home last night, expecting the worst, but the house was in perfect shape, no leaks, no damage, and the power was ON! Double Hooray! We have returned.

The only damage was to two China-berry trees, big limbs of which came crashing down, but not on the house.

Miles and I believe that Mr. G. saved our lives...literally. The thugs we saw around that service station (many of them just hanging out) looked like they would have taken pleasure in mugging and murdering us for the contents of the car.
    All that Mr. G. wanted from us was the realization that we can help others in need, but Miles sending him a very nice gift.

We are worn plumb out and very grateful for our lives and for our amazing good fortune. I pray we don't ever go through this again. While at the gas station, Miles and I had tears in our eyes from fear. We had never felt so scared. The season for hurricanes has been extremely devastating for so many people. My heart goes out to them. It is a horrific experience. Did you know that Port Arthur and Beaumont, Texas are just about an hour from Galveston? We were lucky it missed us.
    So, here we are, ready to start life again. It is nice to have such caring friends. We are lucky people to have you in our lives.
    Thank C`s Mother for her prayers as they helped quite a bit.
    Love............xoxo
    Trina

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    It is gratifying to know that indeed, there are good folks around - way more than bad if truth known, but it is the bad that make their presence felt.

While we would all like to be totally self sufficient there are times when help from a (genuine) other can be vital and it is what helps the world go round.

I helped a disabled vet years ago struggling to change his tire because of a flat. He was almost effusive with this thanks and wanted to pay me! I declined and just reminded him that some time he will be at a place and at a time when he can assist someone else - it is all part of what goes around comes around. It applies just as much to good deeds as evil.

I am glad your friends got help when they needed it QK but - pretty obviously, cannot but help think they would have been a shade less scared had they had their own means of defence - the predators are always out during emergencies, waiting to cash in on the misery of others.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I lived off the 610 & Cavalcade, in Houston, for awhile. Good place to be heavily armed; you would also be obscenely out-numbered, if SHTF......

I am glad your friends came through the hurricane unscathed. They sound like wonderful peope who don't, or should I say didn't have a clue how terrible some folks can be. I'm talking about the scum loitering around the gas station, not Mr. G.

They are the kind of people that would never think of arming themselves. I have many of those types in my family. That's their choice but I consider it a poor choice. It would be interesting to hear what their reply would be if you suggested that they consider gun training and perhaps arm themselves in the event of another bug out situation. My guess is that they would be agast at the very thought of protecting themselves with a firearm.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    I am glad your friends came through the hurricane unscathed. They sound like wonderful peope who don't, or should I say didn't have a clue how terrible some folks can be. I'm talking about the scum loitering around the gas station, not Mr. G.

They are the kind of people that would never think of arming themselves. I have many of those types in my family. That's their choice but I consider it a poor choice. It would be interesting to hear what their reply would be if you suggested that they consider gun training and perhaps arm themselves in the event of another bug out situation. My guess is that they would be agast at the very thought of protecting themselves with a firearm.
    That pretty much says it for me too. I have good people, family members and some friends, that don't carry. I love'em but like havegunjoe said, it's their choice, but it's a poor choice.

Lead Moderator
    I guess they ere lucky. To not go armed, especially during a crisis is like putting a sign up," rob me". Lots of thugs? How do ya really know. I bet on some days folks look at me and worry too. I work contruction and it tends to destroy clothes, so I wear old worn stuff. (and forget to shave some too). Bottom line, be prepared for the worst.

After Katrina they had this fellow being interviewed on the news about how fast the water rose in his home trapping them. He said in a matter of minutes the water was up his street and flooding his home. His next comment was priceless I thought. He said, " we gabbed the guns, ammo, food, and water and headed upstairs". I told the wife the only thing he left out was toilet paper.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Administrator

Yep, They Were Very Lucky.

It is always better to have something more substantial with you than just Luck.
    My friends thought that they would avoid the traffic & the usual problems by leaving their home in the middle of night.
    Of course thousands of other folks thought exactly the same thing. Their car was an extremely expensive car...I'll leave it at that & it failed the test.
    Car Trouble ~ that was something that they never thought would happen just going to a destination less than 100 miles away.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sheep and sheepdogs, thanks to a sheepdog they survived.

But did they learn anything??

Can't run air forever when car is at idle or stop and go at average of 4MPH.
    Car likely had vapor lock.

Great people without doubt--but people without a clue.

Hope someone who loves them takes the couple in hand and teachs them about life.

They were very lucky this time.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Administrator

Kc135

Agree 100%
    Sadly Miles will never carry a firearm for protection.
    He has been medically indoctrinated - Cure Never Kill.
    Extremely intelligent guy...Go Figure!
    I have already tried to sway him. All I can do is pray that they stay lucky.
    Next time (if there is a next time) I will probably need to go down there and play BodyGuard for them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Thanks. Heart warming and fore warning.

A navy carrier pilot brought his wife, a surgeon, to class. Afterward, she related her fear of guns and denial of the need for self protection had vanished. Who knows when or what cause will spark the logic that will especially captivate the intelligent mind?

Never give up on family and friends.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Sadly Miles will never carry a firearm for protection. He has been medically indoctrinated - Cure Never Kill. Extremely intelligent guy...Go Figure!
    So now that he's an MD he can't protect himself? I feel sorry for your friends.

I am glad they made it out ok.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    After Katrina they had this fellow being interviewed on the news about how fast the water rose in his home trapping them. He said in a matter of minutes the water was up his street and flooding his home. His next comment was priceless I thought. He said, " we gabbed the guns, ammo, food, and water and headed upstairs". I told the wife the only thing he left out was toilet paper.
    Did anybody saw (heard) something similar but with Rita? On Fox news they were interviewing one guy, his last name was Karr or Parr, I can't recall exactly but he was on the phone with the Fox morning crew and he was explaining that he couldn't evacuate because of the intense traffic jam so he decide to ride it out. He said something like:

"I have plenty of water, a footlocker full of canned food, guns and 1,500 rounds of ammunition. I think I am OK."
    "And we will be right back with more coverage from Texas"
    Cut to commercial.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links