Unsecured Gun in Arrest

This is a discussion on Unsecured Gun in Arrest within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This situation happend when I was younger and just recently remembered it and thought to myself, what would I do? Story goes...I'm in the mall ...

Thread: Unsecured Gun in Arrest

Unsecured Gun in Arrest

This situation happend when I was younger and just recently remembered it and thought to myself, what would I do?

Story goes...I'm in the mall and hear 3 or 4 people running loudly, turns out they were plain clothed officers and/or mall security. They run towards a seemingly innocent guy about 5 yards from me and tackle him. No warnings, no nothing. I still question their tactics but not for this topic, and obviously I was not privy to the entire situation. It was clear right away who the GG guys are and that they are trying to arrest this guy, who after being tackled is resisting. Not fighting back, but not going easily. During the tackling event one of the officers guns came out of the holster and landed on the ground. Poor retention. They then pushed the gun away so the perp couldn't get it. However, you know have an unsecured gun just laying on the floor of the mall with an arrest taking place a couple feet away.

Being that I was younger, maybe 15ish I just kind of watched. At no time did this perp appear to be a threat but again I was only about 15. Given the situation with the unsecured gun what would you do? Personally, I think I'd keep watch, if you will, so that no one goes for it that shouldn't. Thoughts???
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    I think I'd keep watch, if you will, so that no one goes for it that shouldn't.
    +1
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Personally, I think I'd keep watch, if you will, so that no one goes for it that shouldn't. Thoughts???
    I agree by whatever you do, donít bend over and pick it up.

I agree that picking up the gun, even to render it safe, carries some serious risks. The LEOs don't know you from Adam. If I saw someone else reach for the gun, I think I would be quick to tell him to leave it alone or warn the LEOs. If for some reason I felt I did need to secure the gun, I would probably only put my foot on it to keep some one else from picking it up. This might also be a good situation to walk away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    If for some reason I felt I did need to secure the gun, I would probably only put my foot on it to keep some one else from picking it up.

In my experience working with LEO's I agree the best thing to do is stand back and just watch out, if anything. If you were absolutely certain that a BG (not involved in the arrest) was going to go for the gun, about the only thing I can think of that wouldn't land you in jail or the hospital would be what the above member posted.

Although I know a few officers who might be offended if you put your foot on their weapon. Then again, those officers are not the type that would have poor retention either.
    Lex et Libertas ó Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Happened to me in High School.....those nice men in dark blue suits....snubbies! Okay.....1980, Long Island....I saw that little 38 slide past me in the cafeteria....I got up and walked quickly in the other direction......

I also spoke very nice to that 'fat' guy after that!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I agree by whatever you do, donít bend over and pick it up.
    Amen to that!

I would probably just keep a watchful eye. I'm a teacher, so I've got a way of sending lazerbeam gazes that keep people away.

I'd also probably be yelling if someone else went for the gun. So the GG know I'm a GG too.

If I really thought security was an issue, I would probably stand over the weapon with both hands crossed in front of me. That way my hands would be visible, and I wouldn't be touching the gun. But the body language would be clear.
    Ingrid

Small, but deadly.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Agree with above comments. You run the risk of getting shot if you bend down to pick it up.

Distinguished Member
    looks like a good time to get out of dodge.
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Well you could go over and put a foot on it, that would keep every one else away and would not put you in the position of looking like you were going to pick it up yourself, just do not try and act like you are hiding it.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Story goes...I'm in the mall and hear 3 or 4 people running loudly, turns out they were plain clothed officers and/or mall security.
    I would think that getting the GG's attention as soon as the BG is under control would be appropriate. I don't know if I'm brave enough to put my foot on it, but that would be my inclination.
    Last edited by HowardCohodas; March 26th, 2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Poor typing
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    looks like a good time to get out of dodge.
    Yep...WAY OUT!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links