Man Standing In Middle Of Trail W/Hunting Knife Extended. - Page 2

Man Standing In Middle Of Trail W/Hunting Knife Extended.

This is a discussion on Man Standing In Middle Of Trail W/Hunting Knife Extended. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to agree that the prudent thing to do when you feel uneasy about a situation is to retreat. That being said, I can't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man Standing In Middle Of Trail W/Hunting Knife Extended.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I have to agree that the prudent thing to do when you feel uneasy about a situation is to retreat. That being said, I can't fault you for your decision. You compared your capbilities to that of the other person. It sounded to me like you had enough advantages over him to continue on with caution. When it comes to defensive weapons, a gun is first choice. But if I couldn't carry a gun, a giant schnauser is a great second choice. I won't argue with those that said leave and call police. But I think you did OK. I'm glad things worked out.

I also probably might have investigated the situation from a distance if I was ALONE. If my loved ones are in any threat of potential danger and I have a way to get them out without incident, I'm gone!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I've spent some good time in the backcountry and it bears repeating that cell phones are generally just paperweights back there. Most still take them "just in case" but they hardly ever work. That's one of reasons I like it out there. No one can bug you. haha Conversely, though, you really have nobody to count on but yourself. Some people I have talked to who backpack laugh at people who carry guns in the backwoods. "Its just extra weight and something more to worry about." Right. Tell that to the Georgia hiker or that kid on the ATV who was attacked by the rabid cat.

In this particular scenario, I am not going to approach. But the sidearm will be out of the holster! 'Wait-and'see' is the name of the game. I might move closer but I won't get into something like that back there. You think target-fixation might be something to worry about at the Stop-n-Rob? What if its a couple drunk guys wearing camo and standing off in the brush? The outdoors are too vast for you to risk screwing up something like that. If you take a hit out there then your chances of survival are low. If I see its obviously a bad scene I will make my judgements on the fly - but not before getting my bearings.

Remember, its all good to be noble and stuff to save someone's life but a fat load of good it does if your wife/husband and kids are left without you. The single most important weapon you take with you is your brain. Use that first and foremost.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

I would have checked it out, but I would also be armed in the woods!!
    A Georgia hiker was met by a man with a knife, and never seen alive again!
    I think you did an great job all the way around, except you left your gun wherever!!
    A knife and pepper spray is a good combo,unless you go up against a gun!
    Alot of predators play in the woods , no cell phone, no 911 , no one can hear you scream!
    Had it been a 20 year old woman behind a tree, you would have given her a better chance to live!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    ‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

I would have checked it out, but I would also be armed in the woods!!
    A Georgia hiker was met by a man with a knife, and never seen alive again!
    I think you did an great job all the way around, except you left your gun wherever!!
    A knife and pepper spray is a good combo,unless you go up against a gun!
    Alot of predators play in the woods , no cell phone, no 911 , no one can hear you scream!
    Had it been a 20 year old woman behind a tree, you would have given her a better chance to live!
    I have to agree. No gun, but well armed nonetheless. When I read the OP I immediately flashed to the female GA hiker scenario. Who here would have liked to have happened upon that and retreated to call 911, only to have the cops find the body when they eventually arrived? When seconds count, the police are only minutes away....

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The saying, "Curiosity killed the cat," comes to mind.

If you are suspicious about something, or something doesn't feel right, it's best not to "see what they are up to." Just turn around and promptly leave the area and make up some really cool stories to tell your grand kids (at least you'll be alive to tell them that way).

More often than not it's going to be some innocent little thing like this, but on that rare occasion you find yourself wishing you didn't have to know what was going on.

I kinda agree, but my suspicion radar is probably over-the-top, so if I left every time I got suspicious, I would never get anywhere.

I will add that hiking without your CCW seems strange, unless it was not allowed in that area... hiking can be a scary situation -- lots of wild beasts out there (and dangerous animals too!).
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Better be careful walking in wooded areas. You might come upon someones weed crop

Man Standing In Middle Of Trail W/Hunting Knife Extended

I'd have been moving towards him, too but then, I'd have had my Ruger Alaskan in my hand at the same time.

OK, I am a cat, and my curiosity wants to know what they were doing with a hunting knife placing fence wire around a tree?

I have used a hunting knife many times and have built just about every type of fence there is. The only thing I can think is the knife was used to trim some lower branches but a machete or small axe would have been the proper tool.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I keep seeing an Officer getting an armed assailant call hot footing it out to the scene, back up joining him. Charging down to the site gun drawn yelling at the guy freeze the guy spinning around bowie in hand asking what @*%# is going on and getting drilled. Best case not being shot but spending hours going over what he was doing. To varying degrees his day ruined. At least every time I have had a gun pointed at me my day was ruined. Glad it turned out OK and that it was nothing. Good that it has motivated you to be bringing your gun along in the future. Hope this incident reminds you not to draw before you absolutely have too. Most people out in the woods using knives saws axes are doing normal every day tasks
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Yes, you did fine. You saw something that did not sit right with you. You evaluated your options. You made a decision to find out what was going on. You found out what was going on and you move on with life.

Sometimes I worry about what is going on with today's society. Yes, there seem to be more criminals than ever before, but more than 90 percent of our population is law-abiding and has never killed, tortured or kidnapped anybody.

Is that a reason to trust everybody? Of course not. But if you feel like you need a gun to be in the vicinity of somebody who has a knife in the woods, well, I don't know what to say.

Have we, as a society, really come to the point where everybody is a serial killer/kidnapper/rapist until proven otherwise?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Have we, as a society, really come to the point where everybody is a serial killer/kidnapper/rapist until proven otherwise?
    Of course not. But it's only common sense to view it as a distinct possibility when, on a desolate stretch of wilderness trail, someone is seen pointing a large knife at someone else in what could easily be a threatening manner.

In this specific situation, to my way of thinking, the initial "proofs" indicated a possible threat. After THAT point, yes it makes sense to need some other indicators before altering that judgment. Of course, in this specific situation, the people continued walking down the trail, so the gut instinct must have sensed via body language of the player(s) that it was just as likely to not be a threat.

In short: being open to possibilities instead of walking in blind isn't, itself, an indication of abject fear or societal failure or anything else ... other than common sense precaution.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links