Man Standing In Middle Of Trail W/Hunting Knife Extended.

This is a discussion on Man Standing In Middle Of Trail W/Hunting Knife Extended. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; True Story: My wife, dog and I were walking on a wooded trail which circled a rather large pond last December. After about 1/2 a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Standing In Middle Of Trail W/Hunting Knife Extended.

Man Standing In Middle Of Trail W/Hunting Knife Extended.

True Story:

My wife, dog and I were walking on a wooded trail which circled a rather large pond last December. After about 1/2 a mile we saw a man standing in the middle of the trail with a lage hunting knife in his hand, arm fully extended as if he were pointing it at a person we couldn't see, so, we continued to walk toward him very slowly to see what he was up to.

We saw him first which gave us the advantage to get closer, so, we kept hidden creeping closer and closer until we saw another person behind a tree with the man pointing the knife at him or her.

Although we were nervous because I didn't have my CCW, I was confident with my 110 LB. Giant Schnauser named Bear in front me and my wife a little ways behind me,also, I had a knife, pepper spray and a secondary road about 500' behind us.

I was confident he wouldn't be able to catch us if he were to charge us because he was overweight and much older than us, so, we pressed on to see what this guy was up to.

The man finally turned in our direction when we were 75' from him and then the man behind the tree steped into the path with a roll of wire fencing in his hand and then it hit us. Earlier we noticed wire fencing around the bottom of some trees to prevent beaver from cutting them down, so, thats what they were up to.

It just goes to show you, things are not always as they appear. We finally walked past, giving them a wide berth, however, I sure would have felt better with a side arm just in case, and, although we still walk several miles through the woods a couple of times a week, I now always carry because you just never know what will come up.

How did we do?
    What would you have done?

Sigbear

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The saying, "Curiosity killed the cat," comes to mind.

If you are suspicious about something, or something doesn't feel right, it's best not to "see what they are up to." Just turn around and promptly leave the area and make up some really cool stories to tell your grand kids (at least you'll be alive to tell them that way).

More often than not it's going to be some innocent little thing like this, but on that rare occasion you find yourself wishing you didn't have to know what was going on.

Yep.
    I was thinking the _exact_ same thing. ^^

- Janq is a dog
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

yup if in doubt notify police what you saw,also unless you have a crystal ball you can look into to see when you will need your gun ,I suggest you carry 24/7 especially out walking in wooded or out of the way places.A CHL is worthless if you leave you're gun at home and need it.

When I first saw him, I would have backed off and called 911. Not really since I don't have a cell and this area sucks for cell coverage. I would have backed off though and found a phone to call it in unless I'm alone. If alone, I would have checked it out further.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I know that the "good idea" in this situation is back off and call police, but if it was me or one of mine who was being held at knifepoint out in the woods I'd sure be grateful to anyone that had the selflessness to investigate.

It's definitely not a great self preservation move, but I think that a willingness to take on risk to help others is admirable, so long as there's a reasonable balance between the possible cost of helping and the possible good that you'd do.

So - kudos from me for taking a look, even if I am a pretty junior forum member.

Lead Moderator
    Limatunes said it right.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    I know that the "good idea" in this situation is back off and call police, but if it was me or one of mine who was being held at knifepoint out in the woods I'd sure be grateful to anyone that had the selflessness to investigate.

It's definitely not a great self preservation move, but I think that a willingness to take on risk to help others is admirable, so long as there's a reasonable balance between the possible cost of helping and the possible good that you'd do.

So - kudos from me for taking a look, even if I am a pretty junior forum member.
    I am also new to the forum, but I tend to lean towards the " so that others may live" mantra

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post

Some feel a sense of duty to their fellow man that can override considerations of personal safety. Once as a highway patrolman I made a felony stop on a car full of badguys a long distance away from any backup, and was playing my cards very carefully when I heard a "clunk" behind me. Turning around, I saw two very dirty farmers standing alongside a muddy pickup with shovels in their hands at a high port. That was all they had - no guns, no knives, no tear gas. Just irrigation shovels.....and with those measley weapons they were willing to face gunfire to keep me safe. Sometimes duty is more than a tax paid on liquor brought back from Mexico.

JayPee

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Well said JayPee3843,,,,well said
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Thank you kind sir. I was California Highway Patrol, '65 to '93. How about you?

JayPee3843

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaypee3843 View Post
    Thank you kind sir. I was California Highway Patrol, '65 to '93. How about you?

JayPee3843
    Dallas County Sheriffs Dept. and Addison PD 82 to 04
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Look forward to talking more with you. Enjoy your retirement, you earned it. Best wishes. JayPee

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    More often than not it's going to be some innocent little thing like this, but on that rare occasion ...
    Yup.

In situations where your "radar" is on full-bore and the little hairs on the back of your neck are rising, ask yourself one thing: is knowing more worth getting killed, or at least (if unarmed) worth being in a very bad position? If not, skedaddle.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Because of the "unknown" is why we carry---prime example. If you do not have a gun that is conducive to CCW get one. Your wife, dog, and your self, what better 3 reason than those to carry. Glad it turned out to be nothing.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links