You got a Dollar??? - Page 4

You got a Dollar???

This is a discussion on You got a Dollar??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by inman I used to have to go to the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore, and there were signs in windows from the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by inman View Post
    I used to have to go to the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore, and there were signs in windows from the city that stated that if you were observed giving items to panhandlers that you would be fined.
    i wish they would do that in Austin. ive always said that,that would stop the aggressive panhandling here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

My reply when asked for change is that I am out of work. They don't seem to get upset. Just tell me lots of luck man.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

It's situations like that that make me nervous for my girlfriend. She's such a sweet, kind-hearted individual and is usually completely clueless about potential danger, and always wants to help people. she won't go downtown on her own, thank god, but i'm still worried that one day she'll get us both in trouble while we're walking from a restaurant late at night. theres this new popular thing to do where the local miscreants/bums/what-have-you go around and ask people if they need directions, and if you say yes they tell you, then ask for a few bucks. There is an information booth about every 2 or 3 blocks with a guy in a bright red hat handing out directions for FREE. Last time we were downtown, we were walking to a restaurant, which I new the location of, and some guy goes "where are ya'll headed this evening?". Before I can brush him off as usual, my girlfriend, who doesn't believe that I know how to get to our destination, stops us and tells him (which made me really nervous, because it was a nice restaurant and we were both dressed appropriately for it), and he tells us where it is and then says "hey man, how 'bout a few bucks for my trouble?". I say "sorry, no cash" and hurry my girlfriend along. there were about 8 guys offering directions and asking for money I realized as I scanned the streets around me (and especially behind me at this point), and later as we walked back to our car they were all grouped together counting their cash. I'm not 21 for another 2 weeks, and that night was probably one of the times I wished I was able to carry more than any other.

On another occasion, though, as we left a baseball game, it was broad daylight and an older black man engaged us in a coversation about whether or not I believed in helping homeless people who were homeless because of circumstances, and then asked for a few bucks so he could hitch a bus to the black arts festival downtown. I told him I had no cash (which was a lie, as usual) but offered to buy him a meal if he was hungry since it was broad daylight with about 10,000 people milling about outside the stadium. He accepted and we walked to a little soul-food restaurant, where he ordered bbq pig's feet, fried okra, and black-eyed peas, and I ended up having to pay with cash because they didn't accept plastic. but he thanked me and sat on the curb to enjoy his meal as we walked back to our car. It really felt good to help him, but I was nervous as hell the whole time and kept my girlfriend to my strong side and him 3-4 feet to my weak side, strong hand on the knife in my pocket the whole time. I never would have been so generous at night.

Quote Originally Posted by hickatheart View Post
    Ya know, it works to have a few bucks handy to give away. I mean why not? Unless you know they are going to mis-use it, why not? You could say you've done your part. No need to explode if your hey-this-is-crap detector isn't going off.

When I reflect upon my life, I'll be glad I helped where I could. The Big Man upstairs gave me what I have, and if I share it even in a small way, that puts me in a better spot. If someone approaches me with a need, and mis uses it behind my back, then that is between them and Him.

By the time I retire, I won't miss the few dollars given away here and there, but the sting of constant refusals to help (when I can, and it was safe to do so) will weigh me down.
    H@H
    +1 and well said.

Quote Originally Posted by hickatheart View Post
    Ya know, it works to have a few bucks handy to give away. I mean why not? Unless you know they are going to mis-use it, why not? You could say you've done your part. No need to explode if your hey-this-is-crap detector isn't going off.

When I reflect upon my life, I'll be glad I helped where I could. The Big Man upstairs gave me what I have, and if I share it even in a small way, that puts me in a better spot. If someone approaches me with a need, and mis uses it behind my back, then that is between them and Him.

By the time I retire, I won't miss the few dollars given away here and there, but the sting of constant refusals to help (when I can, and it was safe to do so) will weigh me down.
    H@H
    Quote Originally Posted by AlongcameJones View Post
    +1 and well said.
    Problem is...you never really know about that last part until it's too late. Having grown up in and around Baltimore I've learned better then to allow myself to become a mark. How do you think "The Big Man upstairs" views suicide or purposeful self-inflicted injury? I view that and the scenario as the same. Foolish.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Nighttime. Older man on a bike came up to my car, passengers side, while I was a an ATM with my card already in the machine. Story about needing a radiator hose, so he could fix his car and get back to Cincinnati. I was armed, as usual, in condition orange, and watching his hands. Told him no and that I was getting my last $20.00 out of the bank for gas (which was true). He didn't press, and went on to the next car in line. I watched, and came a hair of calling the law, but he came across as being just a panhandler and I let it go. A few minutes later, guess who caught me at the gas station, asking for money again. Anyway, a couple days later, I saw him coming out of a local homeless shelter and I've seen him peddling his bike around town since then. Ya never know, though.
    Steve

To each their own, however I can assure you, you are not helping. Your attempt at charity is misguided and ill advised. These people are wolves who are preying on your sense of decency and kindness. There are many other ways to demonstrate charity, throwing a buck to a bum ain't it.

The answer for me is always no....

If they don't understand that, I DO have my universal translator with me that speaks all languages fluently.......

Really, I do
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I have only given to two people. The first one was when I saw a guy with a "Why lie, all I want is a beer" and I happened to have a couple of cases of beer so I tossed him a 6 pack as I drove by. He dropped his sign and was looking like a pot of gold from God was coming at him. The other had a sign that said "Need $$$ for a pizza" Another original, he earned a buck.
    I've only given to two as well. One I was young and naive. The other was a few weeks ago when I saw a girl with a sign in the form of a checklist.

It had:

Good looks [check] (she actually was kinda cute even though she was dirty)
    Clothes [check]
    Beer [no check]
    Food [check]

I don't mind dropping a dollar for creativity when I have the tactical advantage. I was in my car and had my G17 in my lap because she wasn't the only panhandler at the light.

A Columbus, OH TV channel did a report a few years ago about the 'industy' in town. Promplty at 5PM, "Joe beggar" would pack up his cardboard sign along the highway and promply at 5:02 PM, "Sam beggar" would take his spot.

It's a tragic note about our society nowadays when you must distrust 'beggars' due to your personal safety.

I LOVE the idea about MCD gift cards - it isn't 'money' but they can eat if they REALLY are in need!

I once had a 'beggar' conveniently sitting at the stop sign in a Wal-Mart parking lot that had a small blackboard that had a Scripture on it from Psalms (can't remember the verse), and I wanted to give him one in turn: II Thessalonians 3:10.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

If you guys give money to these folks, you are suckers.

They use religion to try and make you feel guilty. I guarantee you will not see any of them in the church, unless it is to pick up some free cheese or food or to steal something.

If you tell them no, most of them will say "God bless you, anyway." Even though they are thinking to themselves "screw you" and don't have a religious bone in their body. It's akin to a politician saying "I guarantee, no new taxes." They are all full of crap.

I yell very loud get a job!
    Keep your powder dry

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaX View Post
    To each their own, however I can assure you, you are not helping. Your attempt at charity is misguided and ill advised. These people are wolves who are preying on your sense of decency and kindness. There are many other ways to demonstrate charity, throwing a buck to a bum ain't it.
    Absolutely right. This is not charity, this is enabling. Enabling simply promotes and perpetrates a negative situation. I do not in any way doubt your good intentions, but if you want to be charitable give to a real charity. Give to your Church, or the Salvation Army, or Goodwill, or the Women's Shelter. These organizations will actually take care of the street people that really want help; the ones that are on the street generally refuse to abide by the rules of these organizations (no drugs/alchohol/smoking/weapons on site) because they're "smarter" than those "losers" that do comply; they don't need to cooperate because people's generous nature will support them regardless. Just know that they despise and ridicule you for it. I've heard them talk about "us," and what they say would get me kicked off this forum before you could even read it. Suffice it to say, the more they get from someone, the more they despise that person. They aren't part of our society because they reject us, not because society rejected them.
    They are indeed a different species, one that should become extinct but won't because of the generosity of good people.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

In Arizona, when we were there last year, at every gas station in every town we stopped at, every pan handler had the exact same sob story..geeze, they all had to be on the same network! Not only NO, but HELL NO!
    "Brains before Bullets"

I was traveling on a bike on I-95 from VA to FL. I stopped at a truck stop somewhere for something to drink. I had a nice conversation with a guy hanging out by the place with his pack and a pet ferret. No bad vibes like you get off city bums. He had a bit of a sad story but he sure had a good outlook even though he'd been beat down by circumstances. He told me he was making money washing trucks. Although he never asked, I handed him a twenty "to help feed his ferrot," I told him. I wished him good luck before I went on my way.

Memories of times like this are worth a lot to me. I trust myself to know the scammers from the people that can use a little help on a rough day. I may get taken once in a while, but hey, probably half of tens of thousands of dollars in taxes I pay are wasted or go to fraud. A little more ain't going to kill me. It's not like I'm throwing it away. I'm getting a couple of checkmarks in the plus column for when I meet the man upstairs. I need 'em.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links