You got a Dollar??? - Page 5

You got a Dollar???

This is a discussion on You got a Dollar??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Armed or not, (almost never not), when approached by these kind of people, as I see them coming I raise my hand as if to ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: You got a Dollar???

VIP Member
    Armed or not, (almost never not), when approached by these kind of people, as I see them coming I raise my hand as if to say STOP! and say "I CAN"T HELP YOU!" with authority and keep walking, keeping my eye on them. It works every time.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I acutally have a 24 pack of water bottles in my truck, and a box of chips (yea i'm waiting to get stuck somewhere or for TEOTWAWKI) and i pass them out one.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I'm thinking of starting my own business, setting up franchised "Will Work For Food" businesses. For their initial investment and a percentage of the take, they get a well worn dirty coat, a cardboard sign, and The "Will Work For Food" operations manual and business plan.

Ok, back on topic. I don't give panhandlers money. From time to time, I'll see someone, and get a vibe that I should help them, and in that case, I make the offer. Or, I'll do things a little different, similar to something a few others have said. One day, 15 years ago or so, I was going into the McDonalds on Fremont St in downtown Las Vegas. A guy held the door for me, and asked for money for food. I told him no, but if he was hungry, I would buy him dinner. His face lit up, and gratefully followed my into McDonalds. As he ate, I noticed that his feet were swollen,and he didn't have shoes. I gave him $20, and told him to go to Payless and get a pair. I didn't want the thought of this guy losing a foot haunting my thoughts. But he never asked for anything more than enough money to buy a sandwich at McDonalds. His expression afterwards was truly one I will always remember.

I think that you handled your situation well. Leaving is always better than getting into a gun fight, even if you were carrying. The only difference that I would have done while carrying, is saying NO to his initial request for $.75. For the most part, panhandlers just tick me off. And some of them are so young!
    I would never have considered such a thing when I was young. I briefly considered it when I was out of work last year for 7.5 months, after being ill and hospitalized 3 times. But my self respect wouldn't let me do it.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I work VERY hard for my money, I don't mind getting asked if they don't follow me,or won't take no for an answer. But I can't stand when people just plain don't take "NO!" for an answer anyway.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    "Sorry, bro. All plastic, no paper."

It's so common, that it can be an effective technique to get you to drop your guard.

If folding to that technique isn't your thing, consider getting a stack of a hundred business cards from the local mission, then handing those out. The truly needy will get help; the others won't.

Can't avoid the aggression, from some of them. That's part of the schtick that many employ. I, for one, won't allow hands to be laid on me. It has gotten physical a few times. Many seem willing to corner you. Funny how removal of the hand (that's on me), then backing up into a doorway and moving my hand to the grip immediately stops the aggression. They want your money, but (unlike robbers) even the aggressive ones aren't generally prepared to commmit A&B for it, let alone get put down for violent assault.

My policy: no. At worst, in the ugly places, a stack of business cards from the local mission works well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'll put a gallon of gas in your car, I'll buy you a cheeseburger but I won't give you cash. Sorry.

why not?

Don't feel comfortable doing that. You want the gas n grub or not?

ok have a nice day
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

VIP Member
    I just don't give anything anymore...Iam gave-out

When I used to work in downtown St. Louis, I would be asked for money "to buy a sandwich" once or twice a week when I took lunchtime walks. I knew they wanted money for booze, not food, so I started carrying gift coupons to a local fast food franchise. When given something that could only be used for food, most of them declined to accept it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links