Pick one--Gun or Flashlight

This is a discussion on Pick one--Gun or Flashlight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No need for light, bright enough with stars or northern lights here, so I'd take my weapon....

View Poll Results: Which would you choose to carry- gun or light

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • SureFire type flashlight

10 6.80%
  • Your EDC weapon (no lights on weapon)

137 93.20%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick one--Gun or Flashlight

No need for light, bright enough with stars or northern lights here, so I'd take my weapon.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

It's almost a chicken vs egg debate...

Pick the gun (no light) and you can't positively ID your target, but you could kill it.

Pick the light (no gun), you can see your target just fine but can't do much about it.

I'd take the gun. If someone was approaching me, in the dark, I'd yell very firmly "STOP, SHOW ME YOUR HANDS" etc... If they didn't comply and kept advancing, I think it would be a safe assumption that they were up to no good. That wouldn't necessarily give you the right to shoot, but...

If the light is a big 'ol 4-D cell Maglite and I can have a big fixed blade knife too, I might take the light over the gun. Otherwise, I'll take my EDC.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Well, I look at it like this...
    You can challenge me and debate me all night when I have my SureFire...maybe you'll see 'the light', maybe not...

If I have my sidearm...don't try it...

I don't think there's anyone who would pick the light except Chuck Norris...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I don't think there's anyone who would pick the light except Chuck Norris...
    I picked the light. He didn't say we were in the middle of a zombe invasion, or that there are BG's lurking around every tree. He said you have to walk 2 miles in an unfamiliar area that is about as dark as it can get. I'd rather have the flashlight.

If I knew for a fact that I would need a firearm, than I would take the firearm. As it is, I know for a fact I need a flashlight. Duh! It's dark.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    It's an interesting scenario though I can't imagine how I would find myself in a situation where I would have to choose between the two.

But, I'll play.

Statistically you are far more likely to get seriously injured groping around in total darkness while traversing blind across unfamiliar territory than meeting up with a truly deadly threat in any given two miles of travel.

I have been out in remote areas when there was absolutely NO ambient light. Nights when even "eyes adjusted" I could not see my hand one foot in front of my face.

I'm assuming that this is one of those nights.

I'd opt for the light.

Reason being that if it was that dark and faced with a threatening BG - I'd temp blind him with the light - switch off the light and immediately change location & so how would he find me?
    It would also be pretty easy to take out a threat CQ with a rock or whatever was available as a "found object" offensive weapon. A well constructed light is a decently effective tool also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You'll point your light at a lot more things than you'll ever point your muzzle at.

Dan

this usually isn't a choice we face. we choose to carry and forget our light. i rarely do the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    You'll point your light at a lot more things than you'll ever point your muzzle at.
    If and only if travel is absolutely required at that exact moment.

Otherwise, you can wait for light. But you can't wait long enough for an effective defensive weapon to appear before your eyes, if one's needed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator

True but, we need to play within the given scenario which is that you "Have To" as in are forced to travel in total darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If and only if travel is absolutely required at that exact moment.

Otherwise, you can wait for light. But you can't wait long enough for an effective defensive weapon to appear before your eyes, if one's needed.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I voted EDC - I haven't read any penetration or expansion tests on flashlights.

My eyes can adjust (somewhat) and I can detect a threat. I cannot, however, eliminate that threat from a safe distance unless something goes bang.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A well constructed light is a decently effective tool also.
    Yeah, just get a 4D Maglite and you are good to go. They make a hell of a club.

WOW.
    You guys must be some impressive shots to be presuming to make hits in the type of darkness the op describes. I'm just a mere mortal. I sometimes have trouble making A-zone hits at friendly IDPA matches in daylight. My hats off to ya.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    WOW. You guys must be some impressive shots to be presuming to make hits in the type of darkness the op describes.
    No presumption of the kind. It's simply recognition that there is in fact a tradeoff. In exchange for having to await close-quarters contact, one trades to gain the ability to defend (gun over light). Doesn't mean that one would shoot blindly, let alone at IDPA distance as implied.

In reality: this situation would almost never occur, contrived as it is. (You'd have to be "trapped" on a mountain top, or some such, to create the scenario as described.) Like as not, you're either exiting a house or your car just punked out. Regardless, either you've got a tool or you don't. Most, here, have both with them. If you've got them both, you'll carry them both for a 2mi trek. If not, not. One would not pick one and leave the other, willingly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Think about it in terms of evolution. Man has been on this earth for a very long time and flashlights (or even fire) are relatively new additions to the mix. Our bodies were built to work pretty effectively in darkness.

Now defending one's self is as old as anything. Claws and teeth used to be the land of the law, but seeing how most threats today are the 2 legged form, I would think a firearm would be the appropriate tool to deal with them.

I would probably feel comfortable carrying nothing in the OP story... didn't sound as if there was a known threat or you were in a particularly bad area. If i was in post Katrina New Orleans, with no electricity, you bet I would want to be armed.

"a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

My EDC since I know I can walk around the woods in the dark on most nights and those that I can't, I lay down and sleep till daylight.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links