Pick one--Gun or Flashlight

This is a discussion on Pick one--Gun or Flashlight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Situation is that you have to walk 2 miles in a strange area to you. Out of the city, so no street lights, and under ...

View Poll Results: Which would you choose to carry- gun or light

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • SureFire type flashlight

10 6.80%
  • Your EDC weapon (no lights on weapon)

137 93.20%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick one--Gun or Flashlight

Distinguished Member

Situation is that you have to walk 2 miles in a strange area to you. Out of the city, so no street lights, and under a New Moon so very dark outside. Your walk would start about 10:00 pm. No cell service, and you have to choose which you would rather carry a good Sure-Fire type light, or your carry piece. (sorry no mounted light on gun allowed.)
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    Given the situation discribed I'll take my EDC. After a few minutes the eyes will adjust so although you will not have 100% vision, you will be able to see enough to get around if you stick to the roadway. Also my EDC has nightsights installed so I will be able to see enough to shoot if I have to.

I'll take the gun, like archer my eyes will adjust and besides my cell phone is pretty bright.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Given the situation you describe, I wouldn't leave the house.

I did, however, vote flashlight. Walking 2 miles in the dark, I think there is a lot better chance of me needing a flashlight than a gun. Either to keep from tripping over things or to signal with. I can always pick up a big stick or a rock off the side of the road.

I still can't imagine me ever being irresponsible enough to be in a situation like this.
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; March 30th, 2008 at 12:14 AM.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I would have to vote with our friend Kerbouchard, But if I did it would be my carry weapon too... and pray for my eyes to adjust. Plus you didnt mention unban, suburban, country side, or wilderness ... that would also weigh in.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

i voted edc(of course)all i can do with light is temp. blind bg,maybe throw
    flashlite at em. lota good that will do.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    If I were leaving at 10pm I'd have a flashlight. But since that's not part of the question, it would be my EDC.

EDC Only common sense.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I voted gun, a light will not be very helpful against a crack head (depending on where you are) or a bear.

Wouldn't the muzzle flash be enough light?

Firearm, almost certainly, since light cannot stop an attack when the inbound threat isn't fearful of light.

Whether I traveled then would depend on the situation. Unless actually dying of lack of water or inclement weather demanded it, or if threatened by predators (2-legged or 4-), traveling that 2mi right then might not be required. If the car has broken or crashed, I could stay with the car; or travel the 2mi road back to town; or await another traveler (risky). If in the wilds with 2mi to go, it might well be too dark to travel, hence hunkering down might be best.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

EDC...Is this a trick question?? The only place I've ever been that was so dark I couldn't see good enough to walk was down in a cavern in the Smokies.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Distinguished Member
    Just studying peoples thought processes, are you willing to carry a gun if you could not identify your possible target. The shadow you just saw---was it a deer, dog, BG, harmless GG. Most here would have better sense than to start walking from home in the night, but for arguments sake, it's what you got handed to you.

Yes your eyes will adjust, but I for one think you will have a difficult time identifying objects or threats.

Will a light be your best tool to get you to safety, or do you want to stumble in the darkness with the comfort of your EDC weapon.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

The practical reality is: one isn't going to have to decide between light and a defensive weapon. If they exist and haven't been burned up in the crash/fire, you take them both; if one was lost, you take what's left.

Thought processes? Me, I have no problem awaiting daylight or moonlight. I'm comfortable outdoors and appreciate the simple fact that, unless I'm dying of thirst, there is an immediate threat (mudslide, milling predators, inclement weather threatening my life, &c), then I can certainly wait it out, in place, avoiding the danger of movement over great distances in utter darkness. True urgency is going to be relatively rare, leastwise where I find myself in "the wilds" and out of contact with "town."

All things considered, I'd prefer the ability to defend myself. I will certainly be going out reasonably dressed, likely with a blanket/coat or additional protection against nightly elements. If having stalled/crashed the car, then I'd certainly have those, unless the car was at the bottom of a lake or the seats/trunk could not be opened to acquire the winter/survival gear.

Sure, the downside to not having light is that travel is more difficult. If absolutely dark, then it's impossible, unless one is on a roadway that's easily followed.

But the downside of not having the ability to defend myself is a worse problem, the way I see it. In unknown or dangerous territory, there are any number of things that can happen. I can wait for light. I'll suffer through closer contact with a predator. But I won't go on such a journey with only my empty hand to protect me if SHTF along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Just studying peoples thought processes, are you willing to carry a gun if you could not identify your possible target.
    Yes. In my own home, that "shadow" could be a family member. Outside in unknown territory, an attack will be unmistakable, though at close range due to lack of light. Still, at that instant, there's only one thing to do.

Yes your eyes will adjust, but I for one think you will have a difficult time identifying objects or threats.
    Sure, so would I. But I need not travel on the instant, unless a grave threat faced me at that spot. Even so, heading a short distance away might well be safest, if lacking light and able to await the dawn.

Will a light be your best tool to get you to safety, or do you want to stumble in the darkness with the comfort of your EDC weapon.
    Nobody wants to stumble, though travel may well not be absolutely demanded at that moment. But then, few can defend well with a little 4" tactical flashlight. As each tool has a different use, it wholly depends on circumstances. But you won't know those until they strike.

Light at the expense of self-defense capability presumes two things: the journey itself is safe; and it's absolutely required in order to identify a threat. Reality is, without light an inbound threat is also in the dark. An attack will be unmistakable, though certainly at closer quarters because it couldn't be identified farther out. So be it. At that moment, throwing my MagTech at it's/his head won't do me a lot of good, whereas a firearm will. For me, I'll accept the tradeoff, outdoors and in unknown territory. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I voted EDC. I am sure what would happen is I would trip and fall in the dark, shoot myself and perish. But at least when I'm found no one would know that I made a wrong decision!

I guess I don't understand the question...in what type of situation would you ever have to make the choice?

my "EDC" is a pistol, at least one knife, a spare mag, and a flashlight. I don't even go down the sidewalk to check the mail w/o at least the gun and light.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links