Did I do the right thing....?

This is a discussion on Did I do the right thing....? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Daps heck no you didnt over react.... Your neighbors must not know you carry, if they did then they were beyond stupid...I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I do the right thing....?

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daps View Post
    heck no you didnt over react....
    Your neighbors must not know you carry, if they did then they were beyond stupid...I would've scolded the girls for chasing him but this time everything ended ok...i did chuckle at hit the lights and let the dog out hahaha. They wouldve deserved to get ate up.

I will ask if I read this right, you had your door unlocked? So if he wanted he couldve walked in?? Oh man that would've turned out bad at my house,well i dont leave my door unlocked but if he had walked in he'd better start talkin damn fast because as soon as i saw him inside, he wouldve quickly found himself on the business end

Halloween is one night my senses go into super mode.ohh man thats scary
    Up until 2 years ago, I didn't have a key to my house! My car keys were in the cup holder so I'd know where they were. Two years has made a difference in my neighborhood. New lock on front door and I lock the car. The storm door was unlocked, we had just come in, maybe 30 minutes, from trick or treating....I know it's not an excuse, but I felt safe at home.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Up until 2 years ago, I didn't have a key to my house! My car keys were in the cup holder so I'd know where they were. Two years has made a difference in my neighborhood. New lock on front door and I lock the car. The storm door was unlocked, we had just come in, maybe 30 minutes, from trick or treating....I know it's not an excuse, but I felt safe at home.
    Another interesting thing to note. Lots of cities have laws against wearing masks in public (some put in place to stop things like KKK rallies, but also burglars)... Halloween is an obvious exception to these laws.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Did they ever catch the guy's doing the push ins,did they ever hurt anyone, and has there been any more trouble?
    It seems like the last couple of years I've heard an upswing in BG activity around our area also. I don't trust anyone anymore!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Glad you now keeping your gun loaded. Iím also glad you did not panic and shoot first and ask questions later.

i would have had at least one dead neighbor. that's some stupid crap to pull right there.

IMHO, the mistake was in going outside. Proper procedure would have been to keep ALL family inside where you know where they are, and with you. If the neighbors had been the wrong kind of people you and your family would have been in trouble. Armed and inside would have been the place to be.

Joe

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Did they ever catch the guy's doing the push ins,did they ever hurt anyone, and has there been any more trouble?
    It seems like the last couple of years I've heard an upswing in BG activity around our area also. I don't trust anyone anymore!!
    Four home-invasion suspects reject deal
    Montgomery man traces dirt-bike trail to suspect
    Three men charged in home invasion

Here are a few that I found.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I don't think you overreacted to that stupid prank. I am concerned that you had to take the time to load your 686.
    you'd have never had the time, if it had been fer reel.....

You did fine except for having to load and not having it on your person. The daughter needs to understand that she may have been shot accidental in all the hub-bub. I would have acted the same way. Hope you gave your dog a treat for his/her part in the home defense plan. Seems like he/she knew what to do and did it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    If they were BG, This would be a very different story!!
    Your 15yr old girl outside with an unknown number of BG!
    At least now you have one loaded,and on you. Before you went outside you should have secured the family, armed them ,secured the house, that way they have a chance if you lose on the outside!!
    Bad things happen to good people in great neighborhoods all the time!
    Unarmed family with doors unlocked,on a night that anyone can wear a mask!! I hate Halloween!!
    Tell me about I wonder if the OP left out the part of the story about crapping his pants :) serious I hate halloween too, well it's my moms bday but it's one time of the year you should go in over drive....

Wow man...I take it this is one small town were everyone knows everyone...

Well you sure got a wake up call, still glad everything turned ok

I think you reacted just fine! I would have my gun loaded all the time. But good thing you didnt over react or something else could have happen. But good job on ID'ing the people first!!

Stupid neighbors.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Unloaded gun, not a good idea, chasing outside after suspected BG's not a good idea. Hitting the lights, unleashing the hound, GOOD idea. I've warned my stepson and his knuckleheaded friends sneaking around my house or sneaking up on me is NOT a good idea and they might not like my reaction. We had this discussion, after I left the drive thru teller at my neighborhood bank one afternoon, my stepson saw me from inside the bank and decided it would be funny to rush my car at the stop sign in the bank parking lot as I was leaving. He had on a dark hooded sweatshirt, and it concealed his face. He looked like the typical street punk. All I saw was this dark figure racing towards my car. I recognized him when he was about 6 ft away, but I already had my Glock in my hand and below the dash and my foot about ready to mash on the gas. He did not think it was so humorous, after I explained how he appeared to be intent on robbing or car jacking me since I had made a withdrawal and I always keep my gun ready when I'm at the bank or in a parking lot. He was very close to getting run over or shot or both, by his trying to scare me with his pretend attack. He is also lucky it was actually me and not someone with a vehicle like mine. They would not have recognized him and his prank.

Did I over react? I don't think so. Although maybe I should have grabbed the 12-gauge instead......

PS Oh yeah, I'm proud of my girls. Angry that they didn't listen to me to stay in the house, but proud that they took a stand and that it turned out okay.
    I don't think you overreacted. The only problems I see is that:
    #1-you had to go load your pistol...in other words, it was not ready for immediate use.
    #2-you need to have a serious talk with your wife and daughter about NOT charging out of the house to tackle people. That could have ended very badly if there was a threat.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Too bad that rottie didn't rip his hamstring out and bring it to you as a trophy. Gooooood dog...I hope you told him so. As KPT pointed out a unloaded gun is worthless, which I'm sure you figured out on your own. And as for your wife and daughter...well, I'd be ticked also. Have they been watching too many Chuck Norris movies? A true perp could have grabbed your daughter for a hostage right after he shot your wife in your own yard. This incident must have been a real eye opener for you as far as showing the chinks in your armor. You definately did the right thing by lettiing the dog loose first. You should have gone after the other one with a loaded gun. Once the k-9 had him treed, he wasn't going anywhere...and even though a rottie may not be the fastest guard dog, they're still fast enough to run down any perp once they clap eyes on him. Then it would have only been a matter of marching the one at gunpoint around to the truck where you could have covered them both. The wife should have been on the line to 911 and your kids should have stayed together in a closet or something with the elder calming the younger. I'm sure if someone here has a better plan than that, they'll chime in.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links