Did I do the right thing....?

This is a discussion on Did I do the right thing....? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Three years ago Halloween, two neighbors decided to play a trick on my wife and I. First, let me preface this with the fact that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I do the right thing....?

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

Three years ago Halloween, two neighbors decided to play a trick on my wife and I.
    First, let me preface this with the fact that I live in a safe neighborhood that had recently had a couple of 'push in' robberies.
    It was about 9:30PM and I was in the lower level den with my two daughters who were dividing the booty from Trick or Treating.
    "Time for bed", I said, and up the stairs they went. They got up the stairs, stopped and screamed. I went up the stairs to see what happened and my wife came out of the kitchen.
    My front door was opened and in the full glass storm door (unlocked) was a person wearing a Freddy Kruger mask and plaid shirt.
    I said that's cute and asked them to take off the mask (, through the door). The person just stood there. I looked at my wife and she shrugged 'I don't know who it is'.
    Just then, what caught my attention was someone on the back deck looking in the window. I turned to the person at the front door and they turned and walked away into the dark.
    I told my wife, 'Hit the spot lights and let the dog out'. Dog is a 130lb. Rotty. I went and loaded my 686 and went out the back (no spot lights). My daughter (15 at the time) ran out the front (older one didn't listen to me, the 6 year old went downstairs like I told her to) and tackled 'Freddy' near the bushes on the side of the house.
    I get to the front, gun tucked in my pants, to find someone wearing a SCREAM mask in the bed of my pickup with the dog going wild. He was just standing there, staring at the dog.
    "You okay", I yelled out to my daughter and she and my wife yelled back 'We're okay, we got one!!, it's Pat (female) from up the street'. "Who do you think is in the truck?", my wife yelled out, 'probably Phil', Pat's next door neighbor.
    "Is that you Phil?", I asked with the dog barking , going ballistic. No answer from the guy in the truck.

I had my cell phone in my left hand and took the gun out of my waist band and pointed it down at the ground to my side. "Phil, If that's you, take off the mask or I swear to ..." Suddenly, "It's me...it's Phil, please, put the gun away!"
    He told me later that he had almost come in the back door because he thought it would be funny to see my reaction. After he saw the gun he said he was glad that he didn't come in because I would of over reacted. He has since apologized for being so stupid. I remind him on occasion how close he came to getting shot, bit or both.

Did I over react? I don't think so. Although maybe I should have grabbed the 12-gauge instead......

PS Oh yeah, I'm proud of my girls. Angry that they didn't listen to me to stay in the house, but proud that they took a stand and that it turned out okay.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Not listening to you wasn't good, going out after possiable BG's wasn't particuarly smart either. Your neighbors (or BG's) seeing a 12 gauge through your glass door would've been enough, but letting the rotty out was pretty good.

Having said that I'm not convinced I wouldn't have acted any diffrently
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    I think you did fine. Nothing wrong with being extra aggressive/cautious in protecting your family. I'm thinking about that Connecticut doctor's family right now.

Now as far as your neighbors prank on you.......there are limits to pranks and that one went too far, and of course, could have led to disastrous results. Everyone is fortunate.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I half kidded about the 12-gauge.....But I did have a talk with Phil later on about him acting like he was 12.....I said, if you were twelve and I was 12....okay. But for the love of God, what were you thinking!?
    Our neighborhood is small, and we all walk around to each others houses with our kids. Like an annual get together.

He said that he had told my wife, the Halloween before, that he could scare her. They both love Horror movies. Good thing I didn't find him in the kitchen. I believe that I would have had enough sense to just hold him there until the situation revealed itself, but what if he was stupid and 'rushed' me? Ha ha, wouldn't that have been a blast. Sheesh.

I still tell my wife and daughter that they should have stayed inside, but....I'm sure that you married guys understand. No offense to the female of the species.....
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I think you did fine. Nothing wrong with being extra aggressive/cautious in protecting your family. I'm thinking about that Connecticut doctor's family right now.

Now as far as your neighbors prank on you.......there are limits to pranks and that one went too far, and of course, could have led to disastrous results. Everyone is fortunate.
    YES! I said to them (the pranksters) later that it was funny up until I said to remove the mask (forgot to tell that earlier) . When I said, okay, take it off....the joke was over, let's move on. By pulling on the back window and staying quiet and eerie...it made me real uncomfortable. When Phil looked in the back window with a mask on and the person on the front step turned and left...the situation moved up a notch in Alarm Level, at least for me.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I don't think you overreacted to that stupid prank. I am concerned that you had to take the time to load your 686.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    I went and loaded my 686
    Why were you not better prepared? Had this not been a prank, you'd be "Game Over".

You're right......I've since changed my ways. Colt Detective, IWB until I go to bed and it goes in sock drawer. In the morning, reverse it.
    My wife felt that I was paranoid at first. "We got the dog", she said. "They'll shoot the dog", I said. She now understands. She even buys my pants one size bigger in the waist to accommodate...."You know...for the...ahem".
    ---Ronald Reagan

My wife felt that I was paranoid at first. "We got the dog", she said. "They'll shoot the dog", I said. She now understands. She even buys my pants one size bigger in the waist to accommodate...."You know...for the...ahem".
    Well, glad to hear it WAS a prank...I'd hate to get my ahem shot off bcause the pistola was in a junk drawer somewhere..

heck no you didnt over react....
    Your neighbors must not know you carry, if they did then they were beyond stupid...I would've scolded the girls for chasing him but this time everything ended ok...i did chuckle at hit the lights and let the dog out hahaha. They wouldve deserved to get ate up.

I will ask if I read this right, you had your door unlocked? So if he wanted he couldve walked in?? Oh man that would've turned out bad at my house,well i dont leave my door unlocked but if he had walked in he'd better start talkin damn fast because as soon as i saw him inside, he wouldve quickly found himself on the business end

Halloween is one night my senses go into super mode.ohh man thats scary

After he saw the gun he said he was glad that he didn't come in because I would of over reacted.
    Uhm, no. The only difference between his "joke" and the real thing is that he could well have been a dumb dead jackarse, vs the simple dead jackarse.

Two years ago I left work after a long day.

I got home, started dinner and their was a knock on the door. I looked out, and their was a teenager standing their. I opened the main door but kept the screen door shut.

It is a bottom half aluminum, top half screen door.

I started to ask him what he wanted, but a second guy who was wearing a mask, who was crouching down below my line of sight, suddenly stood up in between his friend and I.

Next think I know is I kick the door shut, scoot back about 5 feet and have my Glock 30 in my hand, wondering what the hell happened and thinking "If that door moves from someone slamming into it, I'm opening fire..."

Then I realized what happened.

Happy Halloween.

I think you should have had a loaded gun on you, and if you are going to retrieve a gun you didn't have on you, take a rifle or shotgun because they are more effective...

But no, you didn't over react.

Quote Originally Posted by Daps View Post
    I will ask if I read this right, you had your door unlocked? So if he wanted he couldve walked in?? Oh man that would've turned out bad at my house,well i dont leave my door unlocked but if he had walked in he'd better start talkin damn fast because as soon as i saw him inside, he wouldve quickly found himself on the business end

Halloween is one night my senses go into super mode.ohh man thats scary
    If they were BG, This would be a very different story!!
    Your 15yr old girl outside with an unknown number of BG!
    At least now you have one loaded,and on you. Before you went outside you should have secured the family, armed them ,secured the house, that way they have a chance if you lose on the outside!!
    Bad things happen to good people in great neighborhoods all the time!
    Unarmed family with doors unlocked,on a night that anyone can wear a mask!! I hate Halloween!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This could of been bad in many ways.
    Hope your April fools day was quite.
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

That's actually one of my nightmare scenarios.

When I was living in my first apartment, I walked in on someone I didn't recognize standing in the middle of my apartment with a baseball bat. My reaction was to turn around and go right back out the door -- all the while making mental calculations about whether I could make it to my car in time or not. I turned, slammed the door and headed out and about halfway down the stairs I started to hear the laughing.

A friend of mine decided it would be a funny joke to bring over another friend I didn't know and freak me out. I wasn't armed, being only 18. It took me two hours to calm down.

Since then, and now that I *am* armed, I've always worried about that particular scenario. If there's somebody outside my house, I have options... but finding them inside they (and I) have very little leeway.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links