Was pulled on interstate today, armed,Leo cool. - Page 2

Was pulled on interstate today, armed,Leo cool.

This is a discussion on Was pulled on interstate today, armed,Leo cool. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I have said before (and in another thread today in fact) ANY stop where the LEO disarms the card carrying good guy is BS. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was pulled on interstate today, armed,Leo cool.

As I have said before (and in another thread today in fact) ANY stop where the LEO disarms the card carrying good guy is BS. I don't buy into the officer safety crap either.
    I went through the training, spent the considerable amount of money, passed background checks, gave the state my friggin finger prints and have been deemed a good guy by the state. It is far more unsafe for the LEO to be handling a gun he is not familiar with (unsafe for him and me) than to just let me keep it holstered just like it was when he walked up to my window.

And as I have said before, knowing a lot of cops, and knowing that a lot of them out there are not "gun guys", chances are very good that I know my weapon better than they do or than they know their own weapon and that I am a much safer firearm handler than they are.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Was pulled on interstate today, armed,Leo cool.
    What were you expecting??

I wonder, can you politely refuse to disarm? I'd imagine that your thinking of both your safety and the safety of the officer. A ND can occur each time you handle the weapon.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    I wonder, can you politely refuse to disarm? I'd imagine that your thinking of both your safety and the safety of the officer. A ND can occur each time you handle the weapon.
    I wouldnt advise that. Traffic stops are not the time and place for debate, friendly and polite or not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Pulled over in SC right past the speed limit change sign when you were previously doing 70 in the posted 70? Sounds like Newberry to me!

I used to live in SC and while driving from Charleston to the upstate, the one place I'd always slow way down was crazy Newberry.

Good to see that you didn't get hassled very much though.

Quote Originally Posted by dealer View Post
    Pulled over in SC right past the speed limit change sign when you were previously doing 70 in the posted 70? Sounds like Newberry to me!

I used to live in SC and while driving from Charleston to the upstate, the one place I'd always slow way down was crazy Newberry.

Good to see that you didn't get hassled very much though.
    Bingo!! It is crazy that you guessed that!

I feel it is totally unnecessary for a LEO to make a ccw permit holder remove his weapon and turn it over to him during a "routine" traffic stop for speeding, failure to signal or such other minor violations.

I'm of the group that feels the more handling of a weapon at the side of the road is unnecessary and has the potential of being unsafe.

Certainly if you are being stopped for a suspicion of being under the influence because of repeated lane violations or something more serious, where an officer naturally has a higher level of concern for his safety, is another matter entirely.

It's a fact of life that not all LEO's are gun aficionados and I have seen more than one officer fumble with an unfamiliar weapon platform trying to unload it. If you are in doubt, just watch a few episodes of COPS. The video really doesn't lie in that aspect.

However, being lawful citizens, you really have no choice but to comply if they request you to disarm.

I am solidly in SIXTO's camp in the following regard; The side of the road in the middle of a traffic stop is no place to argue with the officers directions or requests.

He has the right and authority to have you disarm and to argue the point is not going to end in your favor.

Comply with their request and be on your way when they finish their business with you.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Godskid View Post
    Bingo!! It is crazy that you guessed that!
    I grew up in SC. My dad still reminds me to not speed through there when I come home despite the fact that I've been driving through there for years.

I grew up in SC. My dad still reminds me to not speed through there when I come home despite the fact that I've been driving through there for years.
    I relocated a few years ago from SC (murrel's Inet) to Boise, ID. I did not have a CWP when in SC, and only carried unloaded (ammo\handgun separate) in a lockbox in plain view when going to practice.

Since then I have become more aware( suspicious, old- can't find the accurate word here) and have obtained a permit here in ID.

I was pulled over a few weeks ago by ID state police for speeding in a work zone, 65 to 55 and I was not paying attention. Besides everyone around me, in front of me, and behind me was maintaining a 65-70 mph speed. When he approached my truck I gave him the DL and CWP, he told me he would be right back. Took about 3 minutes, he returned and told me to pay closer attention. He did not ask if I had a weapon (ID do not have to inform), just returned my DL and CWP and thanked me of informing him I have a concealed permit. No showing, no unloading, no getting out of truck. Probably just ran a quick check. Of course, I kept my hands on steering wheel the entire time except when retrieving documents.

Or through Bluffton when going to golf in Hilton Head. They are notorious!

VIP Member
    I'm surprised he let you off with a warning ticket, since he went to all the trouble for a BS stop, come on, 5 miles over! As far as carrying, isn't carrying in a Smart Carry while driving defeating the purpose of being armed? How are you going to access your weapon from a Smart Carry while seated in your vehicle with a seatbelt on? I carry either IWB or OWB depending on what I am wearing. Either way I can access my weapon without removing my seatbelt or playing contortionist to get to it.

I was pulled over on the way to work one morning for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. The only 2 people on the road were me and the officer I didn't see. I had the dome light on, hands on the steering wheel, the whole nine yards. I know he saw my range bag on my passenger seat and I told him I was armed. He just asked me to step out. He didn't seem nervous or apprehensive at all. I handed him the usual stuff drivers liscense, registration, proof of insurance and CCW. He asked me what I was carrying. I was carrying my FNP 9 and he asked me to disarm. I asked him how he wanted to proceed. He said just raise up my sweatshirt and take it out. He watched me unload it. Then of all things he asked to see it. He sat there checking it out while they ran my info. Come to find out he is a HUGE CCW advocate and a Sig fan. I work 24 hour shifts and we made arrangements to go shoot the next morning. All in all a positive experience.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As far as carrying, isn't carrying in a Smart Carry while driving defeating the purpose of being armed? How are you going to access your weapon from a Smart Carry while seated in your vehicle with a seatbelt on?
    That's why I added a Universal Clipdraw to my M&P 45. I wear the M&P IWB fashion during car rides.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I feel it is totally unnecessary for a LEO to make a ccw permit holder remove his weapon and turn it over to him during a "routine" traffic stop for speeding, failure to signal or such other minor violations.

I'm of the group that feels the more handling of a weapon at the side of the road is unnecessary and has the potential of being unsafe.

Certainly if you are being stopped for a suspicion of being under the influence because of repeated lane violations or something more serious, where an officer naturally has a higher level of concern for his safety, is another matter entirely.

It's a fact of life that not all LEO's are gun aficionados and I have seen more than one officer fumble with an unfamiliar weapon platform trying to unload it. If you are in doubt, just watch a few episodes of COPS. The video really doesn't lie in that aspect.

However, being lawful citizens, you really have no choice but to comply if they request you to disarm.

I am solidly in SIXTO's camp in the following regard; The side of the road in the middle of a traffic stop is no place to argue with the officers directions or requests.

He has the right and authority to have you disarm and to argue the point is not going to end in your favor.

Comply with their request and be on your way when they finish their business with you.
    My best friend is an LEO in southeastern WI. We've had the conversation a number of times regarding concealed carry, both from the law enforcement point of view and the permit holder's point of view.

He has stated flat out that, even if / when WI passes a carry law, he will disarm anyone he interacts with who is armed. We have only specifically talked about traffic stops, but I suspect he'd do it in any situation. His logic is impeccable, but unfortunately he only seems to be able to see if from his own point of view.

He believes that there is absolutely no reason for any LEO to feel any more or less safe when interacting with someone who has a permit vs someone who doesn't. Each interaction is its own, unique occurrence, and the fact that permit holders are just about the most law-abiding people in the country doesn't in any way mean that the guy / gal he has just pulled over hasn't decided today is the day he's going to shoot a cop (or anyone else for that matter). Basically, he doesn't know the person he's pulled over so he has no reason to trust him, and he's going to do whatever he feels he needs to do to make it home safely.

I can buy that line of reasoning - it is very logical and makes a lot of sense. But it does cut both ways. It is highly unlikely that I'm going to know any officer that pulls me over, so why should I not be entitled to use the exact same logic. I have no reason to trust the officer, and I'm darn well going to do whatever I have to do to make it home safely too. So, do I get to demand that the officer disarms too?

Obviously, I know the answer is "no". I'm just using the exact same reasoning to illustrate why his reasoning is flawed.

I haven't had a chance to actually present this argument to him. He doesn't really seem to be very open to the discussion right now, and since WI doesn't currently have a carry law, it is rather irrelevant. I don't see any need to confront my best friend on something that is completely academic at this point. But if a carry law passes, I'll definitely be bringing it up. I guess I'll see what happens then...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

We want to be sure that LEO has no advantage over armed people he or she stops.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links