Was pulled on interstate today, armed,Leo cool.

This is a discussion on Was pulled on interstate today, armed,Leo cool. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was cruising 70 in a 70 zone with a Leo behind me. My buddy was in the truck with me. We passed a reduced ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was pulled on interstate today, armed,Leo cool.

Was pulled on interstate today, armed,Leo cool.

I was cruising 70 in a 70 zone with a Leo behind me. My buddy was in the truck with me. We passed a reduced speed ahead sign so I canceled my cruise. We passed the 60 mph limit sign and my truck had just dropped under 65 mph. The LEO hit the lights and pulled me over. I am a fairly new CWP holder and was a little nervous but knew the law and new what I had to do. As the LEO approached, I told my buddy, "Great, I'm going to have to tell him I have a gun." He said "What??!!, you have a gun?" I said yes, but I am legal. The LEO approach on the passenger side and said, license and registration please, you were speeding 10 over the limit. I didn't want to argue. I handed him my license, cwp, and registration and told him I was a CWP holder and that I was armed. He just blinked at me and said OK...don't make any sudden moves and where is the firearm? I was wearing the Smart Carry holster and had my Glock 27 w/extra clip. I told him where it was and he said keep your hands on the wheel and don't move. He then walked around to the drivers side of my truck, opened the door for me and said for me to step out of the vehicle. He walked me to the back of the truck. I assume so the cruiser video camera could record the procedure. He then had my pull out my gun with 2 fingers and hand it to him. He them put the gun in the bed of my truck and told me to get back in the truck and wait. I got in the truck and he picked up the gun and went to his car. It took about 15 minutes but he finally came back and handed me the gun (he had unloaded it) and handed me the clip. He then told me he was just going to give me a warning on the speeding because I told him I was a CWP holder and told him I was armed. He said he appreciated me obeying the law in that respect. He also said he wished more people would do the same thing.

He also ran the gun to make sure it was clean. It was a positive experience for me.

My buddy asked him what would have happened if I didn't volunteer the CWP and armed issue. He said I would have had my gun confiscated and I would have been arrested if he had found out on his own. He also said if the gun had come back stolen or with a negative history I would have been arrested. So please, if you by a gun from a private citizen, be careful. It may have a history that is not good and it could cause you some grief.

2. Remove Ads

thats alot of BS to go thru....

doesnt exactly make me warm and fuzzy.

that was here, in SC?

Good outcome anytime you only get a warning, carry or not.

Please, I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi, but it's a magazine, not a clip, OK?
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Sorry all... I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.

Yes, it was in SC.

It does seem like alot of "BS" but look at it from the LEO point of view. Also, I would have gotten a ticket if I wasn't carrying.

Chock one up for having a CWP.

Yes I would say a little honesty and respect does go a long way... contrary to what some may say! And I would say a warning, and no night in jail would bear that out!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Good outcome anytime you only get a warning, carry or not.

Please, I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi, but it's a magazine, not a clip, OK?
    I stand corrected.. magazine.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    "I was cruising 70 in a 70 zone with a Leo behind me. My buddy was in the truck with me. We passed a reduced speed ahead sign so I canceled my cruise. We passed the 60 mph limit sign and my truck had just dropped under 65 mph. The LEO hit the lights and pulled me over."

LOL! that LEO was Fishing from the GET-GO
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Some years ago in TX my wife and I were travelling through a work zone. There were no workers, and I was at the last 100 yards with the work appearing completed. However, there were still orange barrels, and I knew I was still in the work area.

As I was close to the end and there were no workers present I increased my speed from about 55 to 65. I noticed several cars coming from the other direction, but did not see the State Police vehicle in time. He went past me and soon did a U turn with lights flashing. I pulled to the side of the road and there were two officers who approached, one on each side. The huge guy knew where the danger was and he went to my 110 lb wife's side.

I think it may have been a training session as the officer who came to my side seemed unsure as to what to do. We are both seniors, and well dressed. Maybe that made him hesitant thinking about his parents or maybe grandparents.

I had my DL out along with my TX CHL. The officer asked me why I was speeding and I was honest and told him that since I was at the end of the zone, although still in the zone, I increased my speed for no reason except to go faster. I hoped he was merciful.

He asked me if I had a firearm and I replied that I did and it was in a fanny pack on the floor between me and my wife. The second officer asked that I give it to him which my wife did. He removed the ammunition and put them and the gun back in the pack and over his shoulder. While the first officer ran my license, etc, the other officer and I talked about CHL. He said he was for it and expecially for the elderly. I admitted that I could not defend us if we broke down without the gun.

He also said that one who had a CHL had been checked out and was obviously not a thug.

After checking me out the first officer returned and gave me a warning ticket which I appreciated. I did not want to take half a day and go before a magistrate.

The officer who had my gun gave it back to me, and as they started for their car he told me to load my gun before I started again.

What a pleasant experience considering what it could have been.
    I concluded that the TX State HP are fine folks, and have a lot of common sense.

Long, but I did want to share.
    One additional thing is that when travelling a fanny pack has some real advantages and if stopped the officer does not feel threatened since the gun is not very accessible in his sight.

Regards,
    Jerry

You know ... just a couple of days ago you started a thread about having your weapon on you in the car if you have a CWP. Then you go out and manage to get pulled over. Your timing is impeccable! What's the matter .. you didn't believe us?
    Glad everything worked out.
    Just an FYI here in SC: During a traffic stop the LEO finds out about your CWP when he calls in to dispatch. You found it out for real today and it verified a previous conversation that I had w/a local LEO.

Good for you! It pays to be honest and up front... you usually get a break from the LEO. That's been my experience here in NY.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I think he gave you a warning because you really weren't going that fast and he thought your vehicle was traveling suspiciously slowly not to attract attention, so that attracted his attention.

Also, NEVER ADMIT GUILT! Your statements can and will be used against you.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

He started that off with "Some years ago in Texas.....".

Maybe it's only me...but I think that to empty the gun and give you back the empty gun and the bullets is just 'chicken feces'...the ticket is irrelevant...give me a ticket or not, but don't take my gun apart, hand me the shells and then thank me for being a good citizen...

If I were one of the many dirtbags traveling the freeways with an illegal gun, the bullets would have been flying from the start...OMO

I have yet to find a FL LEO who thinks disarming legal CCW permit holders is a good/safe thing to do!

Am I alone on this?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    I know you had to do what he said , but I wouldn't want to lay my pistol in the back of my truck and take a chance of him carelessly handling it and scratching it up .

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Maybe it's only me...but I think that to empty the gun and give you back the empty gun and the bullets is just 'chicken feces'...the ticket is irrelevant...give me a ticket or not, but don't take my gun apart, hand me the shells and then thank me for being a good citizen...

If I were one of the many dirtbags traveling the freeways with an illegal gun, the bullets would have been flying from the start...OMO

I have yet to find a FL LEO who thinks disarming legal CCW permit holders is a good/safe thing to do!

Am I alone on this?
    I'm with you...too much gun-handling for my liking. I avoid that here in my state, since I don't have to tell and I don't.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links