How closely should I be watching this individual? - Page 3

How closely should I be watching this individual?

This is a discussion on How closely should I be watching this individual? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Resurgam What did Christ say we should do in such a situation? Matthew 18:15-17 - 15. Moreover if thy brother shall trespass ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurgam View Post
    What did Christ say we should do in such a situation?

Matthew 18:15-17 -
    15. Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

The Resurgam translation and application of that passage: I'd go talk to the guy and let him know exactly what you felt from his looks at the two of you and exactly what you overheard. Don't leave anything out - be honest. If he convinces you that you're overreacting, great. If he acts the least bit sketchy and especially if he is confrontational or levels any veiled threats, take one or two more established and respected men in the church with you to talk to him again. That way it's more than just your word against his, and if he's really a nut the other guys will catch on. If he doesn't repent, you and, according to Christ, the entire church are obligated to shun the man. No more coming to Bible study to ogle your girl and fantasize about stabbing yall.

Then I'd go get a restraining order against him and watch my back (and hers) double-time. The restraining order may help in court if you ever have to prevent him from harming y'all.
    +1 here

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Well, lesson learned. These are only 2 people out of over 700 people. I can't throw out the baby with the bath water. I'll just have to be more observant what the babies are doing in the bathwater from now on.
    Good analogy.

Just remember.....if they're peeing in it, that's not where you want to be....

Here's a question.

If you were to follow the passage in Mathew, do you have a responsibility to go to the woman who used you and confront her with it?

Barbary, as a woman, I'm ticked at what she did. You should pull her aside one time, and quietly tell her she did a rotten thing, and how would she like it if a man did that to her?

It may not change anything,... or she may learn something worthwhile.

And I hope that other guy believes her, or you could still be in trouble.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    My lady friend thinks I am over reacting. Am I?
    No; and even though she is no longer interested, he may cherish a grudge and revenge fantasy forever. Don't let him get behind you.

The BTK killer was an honest church going man. Church dosn't make killers into saints

Quote Originally Posted by wormhole33 View Post
    The BTK killer was an honest church going man. Church dosn't make killers into saints
    Yep.... treat all threats as serious, until known otherwise. Not the other way around.

Have not read this the whole thread yet, but what is going on with the people that this guy talking to? They are members of your church too right? Don't they have any ethics or sense of responsibility? If his guy did say what you heard and they did or said nothing without being asked. As soon as I caught my girl, we'd find another church to attend. Obviously there is something wrong with any church were members think it is OK to openly talk about carving someone up. Especially when he is right, as no one acts on his threats or puts him in check. Either the church has lost its way or its message is not being heard either way not a very spiritual place IMO. As to the rest I think everyone has it covered verify, confirm with witnesses and act as a unified force. Have a restraining order.
    Last an aside, is it possible that maybe the guy is hearing something different from your lady than what she is telling you?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I don't have to worry about it anymore. She essentially told me we should just be friends as she goes to talk to this guy. I have a strange feeling I was just used to make him jealous. I am such an idiot.

Well, I think you should talk to her, but be careful. I'm the king of jumping the wrong conclusions re women and finding out what I saw as sketchy was really innocence -- and the only sketchy thing was my suspicion.

I would also say you probably should still talk to the guy, ala Matthew 18 (and in a public place)... the threat (if that's what it was) didn't cease to exist because of changed circumstances... But, again, who knows if you didn't overhear something totally different. Maybe he said, "It's sticking knives into me" -- aka it's killing me... rather than wanting to stick knives into y'all....

Stay safe, keep your head about you, go in peace...
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

yep... some women will tell you things, just so the 2 of you are at odds and don't talk and compare notes.

I agree "go talk to him" but NOT privately. Have your SS teacher maybe with you, someone who knows you both, but doesnt take sides. DON'T do this along, not for fear of attack, but to confirm what both of you said. And yes, I would keep one eye on him going forward at least until you feel this is all settled.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I wouldn't be talking to him..... unless it was to let the guy understand she was playing them both..... and wish him luck... because he was buying into her deception as well.

Sounds like you are much better off, without her in your life. Honesty, is kind of important in a relationship.

Why do women always say they want to "be friends" . My Ex... of 10 yrs now, still thinks we should be "friends". I keep telling her I divorced for a reason, and it's wasn't so we could be friends..... don't want anything to do with her. She can go find "friends" somewhere else.

The way things are today I take any threat serious.This is how things can get out of hand and lead to bigger problems such as a killing. Like they say,there were a lot of signs before a killing and no one followed up on them. People want to mind their own business and not get involved but with a threat of this kind someone should. I would at least talk to the Pastor and let him try to resolve any problem this person might have. This is better then (what if or if only I had done this) after a tragedy has happened.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links