Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday.

This is a discussion on Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I was carrying, the gun never would have come into play. He'd have gotten one polite warning the first time he shoved / grabbed ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday.

If I was carrying, the gun never would have come into play. He'd have gotten one polite warning the first time he shoved / grabbed me. It would have ended very quickly the second time he made contact.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tye_Defender View Post
    (How did he get ahold of me! TWICE!) He should have never been able to get that close to me the first time, I should have been retreating as soon as he started coming at me.

Would things have been different if I was armed? I think so, I hope so at least. I hope I would have never let myself fall below condition yellow if I had been armed. I would have been out the door before he got out of his seat.
    A firearm is a tool. What does having a tool have to do with situational awareness?

Its a simple decision tree: slap the agressor down hard enough where he doesn't want another taste...or let it slide. If you want to live there, get over it. It really depends on how badly they want to get back at you. Unless you have a significant number of friends (majority of the POA), the rest can tie you up with cheap-to-file-expensive-to-defend little violations and suits.

Edit to add: cell-phone video is great in these situations. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. If it comes up again, do nothing to escalate, warn, then incapacitate. Call LE & keep your mouth shut.

It turns out that grabbing my arm and pulling/pushing me against the wall would get him an "assault ticket" but none of the witnesses "saw" that apparently. The deputy told me that they had said I "brought it on myself" but none could give a detail on what I did that brought it on me
    Bill Clinton jokes aside, they couldn't say what you did that brought "it" on, but they admitted there was an "it." What made "it" an "it"?

i woulda broken his nose the second time. and the next sign they would have seen would have been a "for sale" sign. screw homeowners associations. a firearm had no place in that conflict, and pepperspray would have been a little overkill since it was a crowded room.

Quote Originally Posted by thepittman View Post
    I'm sorry I'm a little less we'll contained. If he would have came at me like that he would be laying on the floor from a boot to the chin. Good job in keeping your composure.
    I totally agree with thepittman! If it were me and someone would have grabbed me like that, I dont know what I would have done! But good job on keeping your cool and not turning things around!!

A little background:I've been

I told my story and he/they told theirs. It turns out that grabbing my arm and pulling/pushing me against the wall would get him an "assault ticket" but none of the witnesses "saw" that apparently. The deputy told me that they had said I "brought it on myself" but none could give a detail on what I did that brought it on me, so he wasn't going to pursue that with me, but in exchange he wasn't going to write a ticket to the other guy either. That was actually fine with me, since he didn't chase me out I think he had realized his mistake and maybe learned something.
    anything.
    Of course this was assault if it went down as you described it. Sadly for you it happened in the presence of the the perp's friends and you have no friendly witnesses. This sounds like a nasty little clique you are living among and reading between the lines it seems you may be getting some harassment for your political views expressed by the sign on your property. You've learned an unpleasant lesson and the next time you meet with these err gentlemen, don't do it alone. Be better prepared. Serve notice to the guy who assaulted you that further incidences of trespass on your property will result in complaint to law enforcement and back it up.

put the sign back up with a camera trained on it to capture it...then charge him with trespassing.

I have to agree some some others...there's no taking it outside once you lay hands on me...it's right there...and it ain't going to be pretty
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    A firearm is a tool. What does having a tool have to do with situational awareness?
    That's one of the reasons I am disappointed in myself. My situational awareness should not be degraded because I'm missing something on my hip, but I think it did in this case.

That's one of the reasons I am disappointed in myself. My situational awareness should not be degraded because I'm missing something on my hip, but I think it did in this case.
    Nonetheless, you did an excellent job of maintaining your composure and not allowing it to escalate!

I like the camera idea. I would also consider filling a complaint with the POA, in writing, about every property with a prohibited sign of any type, listing all of the properties, and demanding immediate action. If they do not act then, the legal position they have, if any, is diluted.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    If I was carrying, the gun never would have come into play. He'd have gotten one polite warning the first time he shoved / grabbed me. It would have ended very quickly the second time he made contact.
    If carrying makes a person bolder, perhaps he should exercise his judgment and not enter into the place to begin with -- at least that is what is being taught in CHL courses. I say that because if you you "ended" the confrontation very quickly as you indicate, you are likely to no longer have a CHL, and might be having scheduled meetings with a probation officer if not serving time.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    If carrying makes a person bolder, perhaps he should exercise his judgment and not enter into the place to begin with -- at least that is what is being taught in CHL courses. I say that because if you you "ended" the confrontation very quickly as you indicate, you are likely to no longer have a CHL, and might be having scheduled meetings with a probation officer if not serving time.
    i think he meant he would have slugged the guy, but i'm no psychic so i may have misinterpreted as well.

GPS
    Too bad you couldn't have lit him up with a stun gun or a taser. Unlike pepper spray, it would not have caused any discomfort for the rest of the folks in the room. However, with the witnesses you had, it would have been a hard sell to the deputy on why you made the ole dude ride the lightning.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    The way the board just sat there while the guy was attacking you and then gave false statements to the sheriff, you are probably really lucky you didn't do anything physical. I'd bet a paycheck that if you had, the entire board would have seen that and you'd be in jail.

Originally Posted by cwblanco -
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    i think he meant he would have slugged the guy, but i'm no psychic so i may have misinterpreted as well.
    On reflection I hope you are correct, because otherwise, the anti-gunners would use his comment as part of their arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    My thoughts exactly!!! I would have broken something!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links