Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday. - Page 3

Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday.

This is a discussion on Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Put an NRA/GOA sign up and take a taser with you to the next meeting, along with some witnesses....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday.

Put an NRA/GOA sign up and take a taser with you to the next meeting, along with some witnesses.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Sounds like the POA needs a letter from your lawyer, pointing out thier spotty approach to the covenants, include pictures, start taking them now. Do not talk to anyone about it, say that everything will go through my lawyer. Also do your own research (cheaper) re laws around political signs and free expression. Also have your lawyer write the guy who took your sighn that further trespasses will be dealt with and c.c. it to the local Police Chief.

I suspect the above approach will protect you and make them feel like they just stepped into quicksand. I take it your choice of political parties in not considered the "norm" for the area?

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    If I was unarmed and some guy was pushing me (I'm small, but quick), I'd tell him not to do it again. If he did, he'd get a flashlight right in the sternum or some other sensitive place (not THAT sensitive place, not with my flashlight. I'd use my foot;).
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Put an NRA/GOA sign up and take a taser with you to the next meeting, along with some witnesses.
    haha, forget that, post your next bullet hole-filled silhouette target from the range on your front door and write "property protected by [insert brand of firearm here]"

then i'd trim your hedges to spell out NRA or some political message that would have been on the sign

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...I guess in the future if you are invited to a meeting to air out differences you need to invite a few witnesses
    While I haven't read through all the posts yet... I have to say that this is probably the most excellent advice for everyone to heed for those types of situations!

Whether everyone else is 20 years older than you are not... whether you have no inkling that things could get out of hand... you know in advance you are going to a meeting to "air out some differences" you should bring some witnesses.

Had you had two, three, or even one witness with you, the guy probably would have gotten the assault charge.

Referring to USMC rules for gunfighting... Rule #1 is

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.
    The second sentence in that rule can also apply to bringing witnesses for your defense.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and now you know... and hopefully learned something for future reference.

Glad it turned out ok!

Stay Safe! Stay Armed! Be Flexible! Be Able to Adapt to Changing Situations!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by ellerblr View Post
    Let me jokingly remind you of Marine Corps Rule #23 (Don't know if it's real or not):

Be polite and professional, but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet.
    That is actually Rule #21! Carry On!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    If carrying makes a person bolder, perhaps he should exercise his judgment and not enter into the place to begin with -- at least that is what is being taught in CHL courses. I say that because if you you "ended" the confrontation very quickly as you indicate, you are likely to no longer have a CHL, and might be having scheduled meetings with a probation officer if not serving time.
    In a perfect world, I'd respectfully disagree. After all, I was simply defending myself (without a weapon) against an assault.

However, given that no one in the meeting witnessed anything, I have to say you're probably correct. It would be written up that I started the confrontation, so I'd be the one behind bars and charged with assault.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    i think he meant he would have slugged the guy, but i'm no psychic so i may have misinterpreted as well.

Sorry, should have been clearer. I would never have produced a weapon; I would have waited for the assailant to throw a punch, to which I would have countered.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    haha, forget that, post your next bullet hole-filled silhouette target from the range on your front door and write "property protected by [insert brand of firearm here]"

then i'd trim your hedges to spell out NRA or some political message that would have been on the sign

Bwahahahahaha
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I must say you have/had more composure than I would have had. No one puts hands on me and comes away unscathed. period, end of story. I don't break the law so I don't have the po-po checking me, everybody else keeps hands to themselves or they get armbarred and dislocated. Quick, energy efficient and the screaming in pain is a perfect warning to others contemplating the same mistake. That said, I use a small tape recorder that I still have from my Army days as an MP/MPI. Would have been good to let the police hear him before he assaulted and battered you and should have met with his various orthopedic injuries. I also don't warn. If I am touched the time for warning is long past. Sometimes there is just too much thinking and not enough doing. I might get flamed for my thoughts but thats ok also, who don't love a BBQ

Let me get this straight.....

You wish you were armed to counter a man you yourself describe as much older and weak? Why not just clock the s.o.b. when he came at you the 2nd time? Or jam your foot into his slow, arthritic knee?

Knowing only what you wrote I think you should thank God you left your weapon in your vehicle. And rethink what acts allow the use of deadly force.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by aquanomics View Post
    You wish you were armed to counter a man you yourself describe as much older and weak? Why not just clock the s.o.b. when he came at you the 2nd time? Or jam your foot into his slow, arthritic knee?

Knowing only what you wrote I think you should thank God you left your weapon in your vehicle. And rethink what acts allow the use of deadly force.
    No, I wouldn't have used deadly force in this situation. I didn't even have to resort to a punch to get away from him so there is no way I would have escalated beyond that. Even without my gun, knife, flashlight, etc. I had many options open to me that I didn't use. The reason I think it would have been different is if I was armed there is no way I would have let him get that close to me. I'd have been running away as soon as he got within a few feet. I am aware of everyone around me when I'm armed, even if it is just to avoid the accidental touch that "outs" me.

Now to get it through my thick skull that I need to be that aware at all times, not just when I'm armed.

I've only read the first two pages of five. I'm not going to read the rest, so if the thread has drifted and my comments are out of place, so be it.

Your gun was not an appropriate tool to use in this case, IMHO. You probably weren't in fear of your life at any point. I stopped an 80 y/o Grandmother once that was coming at me with a 12" blade. She was drunk, but the light "clicked on" when she was looking down the Barrel of my S&W 640 at about 6" from her face. I then disarmed her of the knife.

If I had shot her, can you see the "fallout" from that? It would be a lose lose situation for me. I'm thankful that the issue resolved the way it did with nobody hurt.

Sometimes the older generation does things, like placing hands on a "youngster" when it isn't legal or appropriate. Times have changed, and not all people have adjusted or adapted. As I get older I find it hard to accept change, and I'm only middle aged.

As far as the witnesses "not seeing anything" this is very common. They have a shared interest in their community and want things to be like "Mayberry". Reality is, it's not like "Mayberry" but they want it to appear so because they don't want the property values lowered. I realize I'm generalizing, but this has been my expirience with Homeowner's Associations.

As far as breaking an arm, using pepper spray and what not. You would be seen as over-reacting or the criminal. The fact that the Sherriff's Deputy didn't charge the guy should be proof of that. I did once get an older lady charged with Simple Assault when she "slapped" me, but the Judge threw it out, and I had witnesses!

If it were me, I would call the Sherriff's Office and complain again. Talk to the Detectives and be the "sticky wheel" and see if they charge the older idiot. Maybe he has learned his lesson, but I doubt it. In short, with the help of friends, he got away again. This is often the case.

If you are approached at any time by this individual, flee. Don't take the chance that he isn't "setting you up" for criminal charges himself. Old men are devious and deadly, so are old women. While you are at it, prepare to be ostracised by the Homeowner's Association, which are nothing more than Retiree Despot Associations IMHO. Mini-Mi with a little "power".

OK, I'm done now. Stay safe and watch your back.

Biker

I am going to agree with alot of the other member and say bring a friend, get that awareness up, do some research, set up a video camera on the sign, and get a taser. I also liked the NRA hedge trimmings
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Man, that would **** me off good. Personally I would get another sign, all metal, put it in the ground at night with concrete and run a large animal hot wire to it. Then set up the camera.

P.S. I can't believe that I can type the word Damn but not ****.... Funny?
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links