Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday. - Page 4

Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday.

This is a discussion on Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rob72 A firearm is a tool. What does having a tool have to do with situational awareness? Its a simple decision tree: ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Found myself in a potentially bad spot yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    A firearm is a tool. What does having a tool have to do with situational awareness?

Its a simple decision tree: slap the agressor down hard enough where he doesn't want another taste...or let it slide. If you want to live there, get over it. It really depends on how badly they want to get back at you. Unless you have a significant number of friends (majority of the POA), the rest can tie you up with cheap-to-file-expensive-to-defend little violations and suits.

Edit to add: cell-phone video is great in these situations. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. If it comes up again, do nothing to escalate, warn, then incapacitate. Call LE & keep your mouth shut.
    Nailed it!
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    First off, if you had been armed and drew in that situtation you probably would have been in jail. The next time someone like that grabs you, give them a swift kick in the nads and then EXPLODE on them. I had a problem with my HOA with my satalite dish. I found the laws from the FCC and showed them they were wrong. They changed their story and backed off after that. I would put the sign back out with a camera watching it. I would also put a no tresspassing sign out too. When you get him on tape coming in your yard, press charges.

Tape recorders are cheap, oc spray, and a witness of my own, would be how I'd address any further interactions if it were me.

Can you park a unplated vehicle in your driveway or buy a rusted out junk box and paint the sides of the vehicles with your message and park it out side you home for a few weeks in allowed or park in the driveway. After a few calls to remove it or get rid out it and them ask them if it would be ok to put up a small sign outside as it was once was.

I used to feel like I wasted years of my life learning martial arts because it is obsolete compared to a gun.

However, there are many situations when you cannot use a gun. Like this one.

After the first time he touched me, I would've warned him not to do it again.

On the other hand, those witnesses do not sound like honest people. I would be afraid of them lying and making me look like the aggressor. Your best bet is probably just to leave.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

On the other hand, those witnesses do not sound like honest people. I would be afraid of them lying and making me look like the aggressor. Your best bet is probably just to leave.
    +1

I am glad you were able to get out of the meeting unharmed. However the advise that you lay the old guy out, or pepper spray him, or whatever, are ill advised in my opinion. No one in the meeting was going to take your side on this one. You would have probably been charged with assault and battery or worse had you taken that type of physical action against the guy. I gun is not the answer either as stated previously.

What you could have done is told him in a very loud voice to take his hands off of you, stop assaulting you, or some other verbal commannds to let him and the other people in the room know that he was across the line. A recording device may or may not have changed things with the officer. If the whole group was willing to back him up, you are going to have to have your own witnesses in the future, maybe one of them could tape future meetings on their phone.

It sounds like you have your hands full. Document everything the other signs, whatever. Document, pictures, all the info you can. I do like the idea of putting the sign back up and making sure he know he is not allowed to enter your property to remove it, ie tresspassing. Maybe put a no tresspassing sign at the edges of your property. It isn't political, apparently that would be within the rules.

Good luck, glad I don't live where you do.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    ...there's no taking it outside once you lay hands on me...it's right there...and it ain't going to be pretty
    Amen Brother Dunn! I'm a pretty easy going guy but I refuse to be man handled.
    Jack

There is a rule at my condominuim building that says "concealed weapons of any kind are not permitted at the association meetings"

haha... these things always get out of hand!
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

I'd move. Growing up in rural Minnesota, my parents had an ongoing property dispute with our goofball neighbors. After experiencing something like that, I firmly believe that nothing is worth the stress and aggravation of an ongoing dispute with crazy neighbors (you're clearly outnumbered there, especially with the POA against you).

This kind of thing is why I would never consider 'owning' a condo/townhome. City regulations are bad enough.

That being said, I think you did well when you dealt with the old guy who was apparently begging for a good beating. You may have let him get close enough to lay his hands on you, but you didn't end up doing something that got you tossed into jail or sued. Let's face it- the days of taking a dispute outside and settling things mano a mano have long since past.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I am glad you were able to get out of the meeting unharmed. However the advise that you lay the old guy out, or pepper spray him, or whatever, are ill advised in my opinion. No one in the meeting was going to take your side on this one. You would have probably been charged with assault and battery or worse had you taken that type of physical action against the guy. I gun is not the answer either as stated previously.
    Amen! I'm a little surprised by the number of people here who are making claims of 'No one ever touches me and gets away with it' and other such bravado. It wouldn't go well for you, especially in the described situation, and don't doubt that some prosecutor down the road would manage to bring up your CCW as an indicator of your desire to do violence and such. We know better, but juries are rarely made up truly of your peers.

I personally am very confrontational when i'm not carrying, and pretty mello (bite my lip) when carrying. I personaly would get a restraining order, set up video, repost the sign in same location and in my windows, basicly I would do everything possible within the law to **** them off, like maybe big magnet signs for the vehicle.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I would calmly go home and put that sign right back up, myself. There is no by-law against it, as admitted by the president himself, and if the treasurer has an issue with it then he can discuss your exercising your first amendment rights with the deputy later. In fact, I think I would mount that sign in a nice, big spike of some sort so you can absolutely confirm that he illegally pulled it again, because it certainly didn't wiggle out all on it's lonesome, from your lawn after you told the sheriff himself about the treasurer knowing that such actions are illegal (not to mention, downright unamerican).

I'm all for conformity for the sake of peace but when some chump rolls up in my grill, violates my rights as a US citizen by pulling up my sign on my property, and then puts his hands on me when I'm trying to be reasonable at a board meeting? THAT'S A DECLARATION OF WAR.

Personal defence techniques would have been useful in this situation. For instance, if someone grabs at you, you can grab their wrist and twist it in a way that will deter them. The advantage of that is that he couldn't say you struck him and the only way you would be able to get the grip on him is if he was trying to grab you. Most cops would know that if you were trying to fight with him you would have hit him, not twisted his wrist. Pulling your gun should only be done if your life was in danger. But there will still be situations where you have to defend youself without deadly force. Taking a personnal defence class maybe seen as un-manly, but I assure you it isn't. I had a girlfriend several years ago, her dad was a private detective and he took the time to teach me several things about close quarters personal defence without having to strike someone. I wasn't scared to fight and had been in several fights by that time. He just showed me a different way to fight without really fighting. Disable your opponent. If he's disabled, there is no fight. And it sends the message for them not to put their hands on you.
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

Proves you can't even rely on witnesses to back up what you say. I have a similar problem with my association but nothing has ever turned violent in anyway. You handled it well but as you say it could have gotten much worse.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links