Young Children?

Young Children?

This is a discussion on Young Children? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This question is for those who have young children at home. My son is almost two, which is too young to explain firearms to him. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Young Children?

Question Young Children?

This question is for those who have young children at home. My son is almost two, which is too young to explain firearms to him. So my question is what methods have you used to protect them from the gun yet keep accessibility high for home defense situations?

i dont have children but come from a big hunting family.
    i was always familiar with them along with my younger sisters and knew they were not toys and so did they. my dad would tell us what they were and that they were not something to play with not just for us but anybody. by the time i was 5 i had my first 22.
    you probably dont want rifles above your fireplace or anything.
    a good gun cabinet is a good thing too.
    dont know if im making any sence or if ya know what im talking about
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Quote Originally Posted by uakaos View Post
    i dont have children but come from a big hunting family.
    i was always familiar with them along with my younger sisters and knew they were not toys and so did they. my dad would tell us what they were and that they were not something to play with not just for us but anybody. by the time i was 5 i had my first 22.
    you probably dont want rifles above your fireplace or anything.
    a good gun cabinet is a good thing too.
    dont know if im making any sence or if ya know what im talking about
    Uakaos- Thanks for the advice, I will teach my son about safety when the time comes, but telling to put his shoes on right now is a chore...

If you'd run a , this question has been asked dozens of times before.

1) Hidden in a high place the toddler could not conceivably access. One member just suggested putting large hooks on the inside of your closet, above the door, and hanging the gun there. You wouldn't see it unless you stood in the closet and looked outward.

2) Wedged tight between the headboard of the bed and the wall so that a young child could not pull it free, with a light jacket or something similar casually covering it.

3) Gun safe with a lock that will allow quick access, such as a 5-button combination safe or etc....

4) I have a friend that built a hidden compartment into the headboard of his bed specifically for this purpose. Admittedly he's a professional woodworker, but it's beautifully done, and you'd never know it was there, even if you looked closely.

5) Whatever you do store the gun in such a way that you can't just pick it up and pull the trigger. Semiauto's in cond3, shotguns/rifles with an empty chamber, etc.... Most young kids I know couldn't rack the slide on most semiauto pistols or pump shotguns.

Again, , theres tons of great info on this forum.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Edit: Why not put a lock on your bedroom door and leave it locked whenever you're not in your bedroom? A simple bathroom-doorknob type lock would be sufficient, at least until they're 10 or so and figure out how to pick them.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

We have two kids, both under 5 years. We have most of the long guns locked in a safe. We have our pistols on a high shelf in the closet. We leave the shotgun unloaded in another closet with shells on the upper shelf of that closet.

We emphasize again and again and again and again that guns are not toys, that little children are not to touch guns unless Mommy or Daddy hands them the gun. I can guarantee you that given the chance to handle a gun, both kids would take it and could care less about what we've told them.

We are currently in the market for a pistol safe. Unfortunately my husband and I differ on what we want in a safe. Those differences will be resolved this comming weekend.

The ultimate home defense plan wherein the pistol is on the nightstand and the shotgun under the bed is untenable for our home. I would love to leave the shotgun loaded, but our children just simply are not of an age where this is safe. Since they are the entire reason we even want to protect our home, we make compromises that are hopefully offset by living in an area where such horrific things as home invasion are rare, by keeping animals that are safe but good alarm systems, by being polite members of society, good neighbors, etc. In short, we do the best we know how to do.

My respects to Pete, but the things he mentions would not work with our children.

There is NOTHING in this house that one or both of them have not noticed nor found. Including the dead bird in the fireplace cleanout behind the stove in the basement....their little minds and bodies are so very active and so very observant!!

It is our experience that putting and object up high merely challenges them to find ways to get at it....and within a week, they've found a way to get to wherever they want.

Wedging things in merely keeps them entertained for longer while they use every toy they own to pry it out. There is no such thing as a hidden compartment.

Our best efforts have been along the lines of making the gun an everyday, not a big deal, boring thing. And still yet the oldest goes to preschool and draws guns shooting bullets on his "art" pages...sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    We have two kids, both under 5 years. We have most of the long guns locked in a safe. We have our pistols on a high shelf in the closet. We leave the shotgun unloaded in another closet with shells on the upper shelf of that closet.

We emphasize again and again and again and again that guns are not toys, that little children are not to touch guns unless Mommy or Daddy hands them the gun. I can guarantee you that given the chance to handle a gun, both kids would take it and could care less about what we've told them.

We are currently in the market for a pistol safe. Unfortunately my husband and I differ on what we want in a safe. Those differences will be resolved this comming weekend.

The ultimate home defense plan wherein the pistol is on the nightstand and the shotgun under the bed is untenable for our home. I would love to leave the shotgun loaded, but our children just simply are not of an age where this is safe. Since they are the entire reason we even want to protect our home, we make compromises that are hopefully offset by living in an area where such horrific things as home invasion are rare, by keeping animals that are safe but good alarm systems, by being polite members of society, good neighbors, etc. In short, we do the best we know how to do.
    +1

Our kids are 2 and 4yo old. Our 2yo does know guns are a "no-touch", but like a 2 year old is really going to obey that?! I'm with ya on the shoes thing. I think that demystifying the gun is probably one of the best things you could do. My 4 yo sees that it's a regular part of my wardrobe. She knows not to touch it, but she also knows that it should be pointed in a safe direction, etc... Knowing and doing are two totally different things though, and I think that is what makes guns and kids a delicate subject.

The only thing that's loaded in the house is the xd9, and even at that, I don't have one in the chamber. I just can't take the chance at this point. I put it high up in the kitchen during the day, but who really knows when they're going to start climbing? Mine isn't...yet. At night the pistol is on my highboy dresser, well out of reach for kids, but the parents as well.

We are looking for a safe too.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Senior Moderator
    What I have done with my son.

1) Quick access combo pistol safe, fastened with a steel cord to the bed frame. He knows its there but can not open it. The steel cable keeps it in the same place (reasonbly) for quick access.

2) M1 Carbine hung from bicycle hooks in my closet above the door. It is only visible if you stand in my closet turn around and look up. This might not be an option for you depending on how climbable your closet is, my wifes closet shelves act as a ladder.

3) A other safe (Honeywell combo lock box) in my wifes night stand draw for her pistol.

4) all other guns stored in Stack-On gun safe
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    My respects to Pete, but the things he mentions would not work with our children.
    Wow.... This is why I'm not having kids. At least until I'm 35 (that only gives me ten years to change my mind). Thanks for the heads-up

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Senior Moderator
    As far as teaching about guns, I hope to teach him that they are like knives, broken glass, power cords etc..... they are things that he does not touch with out My or his Mothers permission
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I use this. Got it at Big Lots for 40 bucks.

Amazon.com: Honeywell .55-Cubic-Foot Shelf and Floor Anti-Theft Safe with Digital Keypad #2050: Home Improvement

Takes 2 seconds to get into. Too many attempts and it locks itself down an you have to use the key to get into it. (Haven't tried that yet)
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    My wife's safe in her night stand

Less than $40

Quote Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post
    I put it high up in the kitchen during the day, but who really knows when they're going to start climbing? Mine isn't...yet. At night the pistol is on my highboy dresser, well out of reach for kids, but the parents as well.

We are looking for a safe too.
    Mine is already pulling out each drawer to climb up onto counters... I have been looking at this though:

Sequiam Identity Management :: BioVault 2.0

Senior Moderator
    I must warn you about the biovaults,

The fingerprint scanners do not aways work

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Disclaimer: I don't have kids yet.

I think training your kids about guns and safety are critical, especially to us gun owners. But all the training in the world may not be enough for the friends they invite over.

When my dad was a kid, he invited one of his friends from church over on a Sunday afternoon. (Unsure of the age.) They had discussed guns many times and his friend insisted that he knew all about guns. He also knew that my dad kept his .22 rifle in his room. When they got home, his friend ran staight for my dad's room and my dad casually followed him. When my dad walked into the room, the first thing he saw was his friend with the rifle pointing straight at my dad's head. He was stunned and before he could say anything, he heard a snap. The guy pulled the trigger. Fortunately, my dad kept his gun unloaded. Dad knew he didn't have enough time to clear the gun. I don't remember the details of the diaglog that followed. Knowing my dad, it was harsh. His friend's response was, "I knew it wasn't loaded because you're not supposed to keep guns loaded in the house."

Your kids may be smart and respectful of guns. Their friends my not be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links