how would you handle this situation?

This is a discussion on how would you handle this situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets say you're at the office, and a co-worker is known to be very disgruntled with management, threatening to sue, daring the company to fire ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how would you handle this situation?

how would you handle this situation?

Lets say you're at the office, and a co-worker is known to be very disgruntled with management, threatening to sue, daring the company to fire him etc -- basically he's pissed at the world and thinks that the world (Especially management) is out to get him (and only him, they LOVE everyone else).

There already have been issues with him at work, and HR has had to have several discussions with them, a few of the female employees in the company are afraid of him because of things he has said.

That being said what if you heard said co-worker talking to someone on the phone, and hear the word FFL mentioned, and "yeah but you can only buy one of those a month and there is a wait" and "Oh yeah AR-15 too those are good"

Now, you know that said person does not have much, if any knowledge/experience with firearms so...

How would you handle this? ignore it? advise management?

oh, and my office has a policy against possessing a firearm on company property...and I don't have my CCW yet anyways...

2. Remove Ads

not sure how to answer that one but i"d surely keep the radar up.
    if i heard this guy talking on the phone like that, yeah i would be
    worried about what he might be capable of doing.(too bad we don"t
    know till it happens)could be scary situation. i"m open to sugesstions.
    i"ll keep eyes peeled for other ideas.(from other members)
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I think that I would inform management about what I over heard. If he is that way and they have a file on his actions they might want to know and act on it. If they shine it on I would go with deep concealment just in case.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

VIP Member
    Have you been listening to my phone calls?

Seriously, stay alert and be prepared, because there's probably another nut case there who isn't shooting his mouth off that you really need to be concerned about! I can't imagine what good it would do to tell management. What could they do besides harass this guy some more and maybe push him over the edge? Issue the other employees body armor?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

who or what is hr fearsheeple?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Befriend him, so when the.. okay i'll be PC.... if god forbid he decides to go on a rampage, he'll most likley spare you and you may be the person who can talk him out of it. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. <-- Sun-tzu
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    who or what is hr fearsheeple?
    Human resources, They do the hiring and firing!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Contact HR, they should be trained on how to handle a situation like this one. Stay alert and in condition orange.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    HR is supposed to be trained but often are not. But that's about the only option you have (other than talking to the big cheese at your facility - mine used to do executive security, and presumably 'gets it'). Watch your back with HR, though: I've seen good guys get it in the neck. Maybe an anonymous report?

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    HR is supposed to be trained but often are not. But that's about the only option you have (other than talking to the big cheese at your facility - mine used to do executive security, and presumably 'gets it'). Watch your back with HR, though: I've seen good guys get it in the neck. Maybe an anonymous report?
    Yeah that's part of the problem...it seems it's almost impossible to get fired at a large company. The amount of stink he's raised and false reports he's filed against coworkers he has grudges against, i don't doubt that he's had well over 6 figures worth of time wrapped up in attending to all of his complaints etc...

I figure HR probably would freak out about it, but I told my manager anyways after it happened, was just curious how others on here may react.

Quote Originally Posted by rdoggsilva View Post
    I think that I would inform management about what I over heard. If he is that way and they have a file on his actions they might want to know and act on it. If they shine it on I would go with deep concealment just in case.
    Well...my office has a no firearms policy, AND i don't have a CCW yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FearSheeple View Post
    Well...my office has a no firearms policy, AND i don't have a CCW yet.
    Print that off and hold it up, if he walks in with a gun.

Seriously, SilenceDoGood's suggestion is excellent. Yet again, I would recommend Dan Korem's Rage of the Random Actor (Amazon, +/-$20).

That being said what if you heard said co-worker talking to someone on the phone, and hear the word FFL mentioned, and "yeah but you can only buy one of those a month and there is a wait" and "Oh yeah AR-15 too those are good"

Your contradicting yourself here. If he knows this much, apparently he does know about firearms and the law to some extent.

I have people call me up at the office on occasion and ask me about a particular gun or something of that nature. If someone in my office overheard this should they go to HR and tell them. Well ok, I am the HR, boss, whatever.

Keep your eyes open and stay alert. Just because someone has a bad attitude at work, and happens to have a conversation about firearms does not mean they are going postal. Is discussion about firearms at work grounds for dismissal? If it is, most of us on this forum would have a hard time keeping a job. I think some of us may be becoming too PC ourselves.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

get the police-type taser that launches the electric probes up to 21 feet :) better than nothing.

better yet, get your CCW and carry anyway. it's called CONCEALED carry for a reason. get something slim and compact with a good deep-cover, tuckable concealment holster. nothing but the top half of the handle will be above your belt, and your tucked in shirt will more than hide that. your life is worth more than your job, and i doubt they'll fire you for killing a madman if the time comes. nobody will know about the weapon until it's time for you to pull it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    ... better yet, get your CCW and carry anyway. it's called CONCEALED carry for a reason. ...
    Totally agree. I pocket carry 100% of the time unless I know I will be going through a metal detector. Get in the mindset that NOBODY will know unless YOU present the weapon to defend your life. When that time comes you might lose your job, but you will be alive to get another one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links