I avoid NYC since I can't carry there

This is a discussion on I avoid NYC since I can't carry there within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As an upstate NYer I can't get a carry permit in NYC so I don't go there. Yes, it is that simple. I saw Blue ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I avoid NYC since I can't carry there

As an upstate NYer I can't get a carry permit in NYC so I don't go there. Yes, it is that simple. I saw Blue Lion's post about the recent threats on NYC...I said to myself "good luck sheeple of NYC".

I will remain in upstate NY where I can protect myself and family.

THis is not to denegrate the many fine people who live in NYC, but the politics are not "for the people or by the people".

Assistant Administrator
    HC - I find my decisions regarding where I go or not are based very much on whether I can carry. I will die never having visited NYC - and probably too much as I want to go see Niagra - doubt it'll happen because again - I would be ''carry impaired''.

I take every measure I can also, to not go into MD - I refuse to feel that I have to disarm. If I want to go to WV for instance then like as not I will go the ''long way around'' so I can drop in from the North and so avoid MD.

Crazy eh - this ''regional-ness'' of the 2A.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I dont understand how city laws take precendence over state laws.

In most states, a city law cannot be more restrictive than a state law, at least thats how it is here in the south.

So...its possible to get a STATE carry permit that is no good in NYC ? :chairshot

mannnnnnnnn...thats where you need it the most...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    I dont understand how city laws take precendence over state laws.

In most states, a city law cannot be more restrictive than a state law, at least thats how it is here in the south.

So...its possible to get a STATE carry permit that is no good in NYC ? :chairshot

mannnnnnnnn...thats where you need it the most...
    It depends on the State law. This next quote is in Florida's Firearms and CWP legislation:

Except as expressly provided by general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or regulations relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances are hereby declared null and void. This subsection shall not affect zoning ordinances which encompass firearms businesses along with other businesses. Zoning ordinances which are designed for the purpose of restricting or prohibiting the sale, purchase, transfer, or manufacture of firearms or ammunition as a method of regulating firearms or ammunition are in conflict with this subsection and are prohibited.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

THis is not to denegrate the many fine people who live in NYC, but the politics are not "for the people or by the people".
    I thought the same as HC, when I lived in upstate N.Y. I alwayes thought it should belong with N.J.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    This is just my humble opinion (I can hear my wife laughing when I use the word "humble"), so if anybody wants to hammer me, feel free to start pounding away...but:

What is the point of being able to defend your life if you are not actually LIVING life? It is important to me...VERY important to me...that I be able to carry my firearm. However, I don't let it dictate my life. I go where I want to go and see the places I want to see, even if they are places I cannot be armed. People defended themselves long before firearms were common. My pistol is a secondary weapon...my brain is my primary weapon. There are always ways to defend yourself if you don't have a firearm. Granted, they are not nearly as good as the ol' pistola', but you can still take care of yourself. So, as important as CCW is to me, I don't let it decide where I will or will not go to enjoy life. Again, just my opinion.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Assistant Administrator
    Gonzo - I admit for myself that my decision to not go where I cannot carry - is born of stubborness and also a matter of principle.

I live my life pretty much to the full anyways, thank heaven but - the stubborness of old age will have its way I think when you carry 16/7 as I do - it is harder to feel able to relinquish that.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    the stubborness of old age will have its way

Hey, maybe your stubborness got you to old age! :c)
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Assistant Administrator
    Could well be Gonzo

BTW - they both only get worse - old age and stubborness that is
    Chris - P95

Well, as I approach 40, I find myself firmly convinced:

Experience combined with treachery will defeat youth and vigor every time!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I too avoid places where my rights are infringed. I do have to go to hospitals, and the occasional school as part of my job, but as for personal travel, I have driven an extra 200 miles on vacation to avoid IL. Why? a matter of principle. I refuse to spend $.01 in any state where my rights are null and void. It frustrates my wife a bit, but then again, she is usually happy to get me to go anywhere more than an hour or two away.

Question Safety First?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    This is just my humble opinion (I can hear my wife laughing when I use the word "humble"), so if anybody wants to hammer me, feel free to start pounding away...but:

What is the point of being able to defend your life if you are not actually LIVING life? It is important to me...VERY important to me...that I be able to carry my firearm. However, I don't let it dictate my life. I go where I want to go and see the places I want to see, even if they are places I cannot be armed. People defended themselves long before firearms were common. My pistol is a secondary weapon...my brain is my primary weapon. There are always ways to defend yourself if you don't have a firearm. Granted, they are not nearly as good as the ol' pistola', but you can still take care of yourself. So, as important as CCW is to me, I don't let it decide where I will or will not go to enjoy life. Again, just my opinion.
    Gonzo
    Safety is nice, but it's not first. LIFE is first and.....Life is NOT safe.

You're quite correct, you have to keep an eye out for field expedient weapons. Even a rolled up newspapaer can be lethal. Still, I avoid going north of the Mason-Dixon line, just cause I feel like a fish out of water. Southern liberals are bad enough...but YANKEE liberals are toooo much. And CALIFORNIA Liberals are a whole 'nother species!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Gonzo: I am just stating my particular case and not trying to create an argument. So here I go.

Same as Chris, I will live my life in a place where CWP is the law of the land. The reason is not only for the tool itself but because it signifies that the people of place in question believe in individual liberties, individual responsability and individual accountability and share my basic ideas of freedom.

As for surviving by brain only, I did that for a long long time and had more experiences that I would care to remember and I can tell you, most of the time is equal parts brain and blind luck....till the day both fail and you find yourself in deep fecal matter as it happened to me in one occassion.

In places like any country south of the Rio Grande where you have no right to carry or even own, you don't live there, you survive and only if you are lucky or have the political influence or the big bucks. You are a citizen in name only and your rights are not inherent but a gift from whatever idiot is in power at any given time. I simply got tired of it and chose to live where I could breathe in peace and defend myself and my family.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Well said Miggy!

I lived in Cancun tres anos. I know what it's like to be treated like a slave, to be discriminated against, a gringo, to be at the mercy of any Federale with a gun or politico with PRI connections. You live on your knees with outstretched arms holding up a gift.

Thats why I can't allow to escape any chance to act out of principle. What an honor, and what a debt I owe to those who held out arms in battle to give me the chance. We are both champions and ambassadoors of our rights to self-defense, so that CCW can grow to the federal level, and our children will never have to ask "Why can't you carry in here?"
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Gunthorp and Miggy,
    I respect both of your opinions and viewpoints (no argument perceived, Miggy), and, to a large extent, I agree. I have also lived in an environment where I was forced to rely on my wits and nothing else, so I know exactly what you are talking about. However, I have also lived in an environment where I learned to appreciate life and get the most out of it, with the knowledge that it can come to an abrupt halt at any time. We certainly owe a debt to those who held out arms in battle to preserve our rights and I feel that weight as a veteran myself. However, those same battles were fought for our liberty of choice and so that we can enjoy everything, and every place, that this nation has to offer. I don't believe that when you go someplace that does not allow CCW that you are in any way disparaging the sacrifices that were made. If that is the case, I have to pose this question: Do you vote in every single election you are eligible to vote in? All local, county, state, and federal elections? If you miss a vote, or choose not to vote, are you disparaging the sacrifices that were made so that you could? Do you attend all of the public meetings that are held in your community? All of the city council meetings, county commission meetings, open state hearings, etc? If not, are you disparaging the sacrifices that were made to insure your right to do so? I believe that the right...and the sacrifice that earned those rights...lays in the choice itself, more than the action. I do recognize that not going to places that don't allow CCW can be an effective political, or even economic, statement.

As I initially said, you will very rarely...VERY rarely...catch me without my pistol. However, I do not let it dictate where I go to live life. Again, my brain is my primary weapon...the firearm is secondary.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links