At What Point Do You...

This is a discussion on At What Point Do You... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get involved. We've had a ton of topics and dicussions about how to handle situations. How to retreat and evade from situations that are getting ...

Thread: At What Point Do You...

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

At What Point Do You...

Get involved.

We've had a ton of topics and dicussions about how to handle situations. How to retreat and evade from situations that are getting too hot to be at...

but what happens if you can't retreat and evade? You're driving down the road and you come across someone beating the crap out of a uniformed LEO... do you pull over, or drive by and just make a call to 911 and report it.

What about if you were just walking down the street and turn the corner and head into it...do you retreat and dial 911? or do you confront the assaliants.

I mean... I understand the end goal is to get back home to your family, but I'd have a hard time walking away from something like that, esp. if an LEO was involved (I have too many friends who are LEO...)

was just wondering...

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If it is a uniformed LEO in trouble I'll help. I'll call in to 911 to let them know so another responding unit doesn't take me out thinking I'm a BG.

I think a lot of what you will see here deals with folks who aren't in uniform, so without a score card you don't know the good from the bad. As a rule I would stay out of those.

-Scott-

If the LEO is uniformed and there isn't a doubt about GG vs. BG, I'd be in there. Call 911 to make sure they know I'm not another BG, but the real BG would have a world of hurt on him. I have too many LEO friends see one get hurt.
    Main reason I carry is to protect my family, but I wouldn't think twice about stepping in here.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Administrator

There Is No Way

There is No Way that I could ever just drive past a uniformed LEO that was in obvious deep trouble.

I just could not ignore that situation.
    For me...I would not even need to think twice about that.

I seriously hope that there is nobody on this forum that would "ride on by" a Law Enforcement Officer getting the crap beat out of him...or her.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    QK...

I hope I didn't give the impression that I would drive by and be content to dial 911. I'd probably be severely tempted to jump in even if the LEO wasn't in uniform, esp. if I knew him personally.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Lead Moderator
    If you are armed (and I only say that because I'm in Maryland, and I know there are some NJ folks here), I think I'd have to help! I would call 911 first if at all possible!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    I think there is a feeling of personal obligation - probably for most folks - if an LEO was in serious trouble. This assuming that separating GG from GG was, as you'd hopefully expect - straightforward.

For situations where no uniforms involved then things get way more difficult. I have no wish to get caught up in other's problems but I can envisage certain situation types where perhaps intervention would be appropriate. Much would be very much on a case by case basis for assessment.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Whether I am armed or not, I am not going to let an officer get hurt or killed because of my inaction. In fact, just thinking of a POS that's beating an LEO makes my blood boil.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

VIP Member
    Interjecting oneself into a situation that could lead to or that has become one of deadly force cannot be thought of lightly. In general, if you, your loved ones, or someone you know is in harms way, there is your duty. A uniformed LEO ought to be thought of as someone you know, if not as a brother in arms. The call to 911 must disclose what you look like and how you relate to the incident. If someone whom you DON'T know is taking it on the chin, a call to 911 is definitely indicated, but unless the victim is a child, disabled, or of the fair sex, any more personal involvement must be thought out carefully. Many off duty LEO's and good samaritans are killed each year when the uniformed officers arrive and have to make split second decisions.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

1952 - 2006
    As has been posted, I too could not walk away from a LEO needing assistance. Up to and including shooting the BG if required.

And I have to agree with Gunthorp's posting. Well said.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    FOM is an LEO. Long time ago he was getting the dogsnot wupped outta him on side of highway.
    Truckdriver stopped with tiretool to the rescue.
    My friend said he'll never give a truckdriver a ticket after that.
    For God, Family and Country!

Lead Moderator
    I would help, but for me they are (some) former co workers.

I would stop and do what I could to assist if a LEO where in trouble. As others noted you have to be careful and call 911 to let them know who you are and what your wearing etc.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I wouldn't pass on a LEO either. I have drawn to back up a national guardsman who was about to be overwhelmed in a possible riot after Hurricane Andrew. I myself was in the guard at the time, but I was off duty and in civvies. My buddy and I both drew Glocks as the poor private tried to maintain oder in the face of desperation and the need for water and ice. It was hairy for awhile, but the display of firepower has an amazing calming effect on "jest folks." As soon as they really understood that the guard wouldn't leave until everybody has at least some of what they needed, it was okay. But they knew just absolutely by my body posture and tone of voice that I'd SMOKE the first one to cross the line.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Withought a question I would call 911, then assist the LEO.

I couldnt imagin not helping someone that would help me. Regardless of there job.

Links