Defensive Carry banner

Armed robbery scenario

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  1911packer 
#1 ·
Just finished reading a great book called "The Concealed Handgun Manual"
Really learned much from this book. I learned a great approach to take if I am being robbed or threatened at gun-point. Here is the scenario:

Gunman has gun and is at close range pointing it at me. I then create a distraction such as looking over his shoulder and saying "No it's o.k, I can deal with it."
Speaking to someone who isn't there but the bad guy doesn't know that. The bad guy will naturally want to see who I am talking to. Then I draw my Kel-Tec 32 out of it's Desantis Nemesis holster and in the time it would take to call him a scumbag, I unload a few Fiocchi rounds into his cardiovascular triangle and face.

Police show up at the scene. " I was attacked and shot in self defense."
"I was in fear of losing my life or being seriously injured."
"I am a licensed gun carrier." As I hand them my permit and license.
Being polite I say, "I really dont want to make any statement until I've had
an opportunity to talk to a lawyer."

Any comments or suggestions for improving this scenario besides carrying a larger caliber? BTW Georgia has the Castle Doctrine.

See less See more
#5 ·
I would consider it being attacked if a weapon was pointed in my direction. I do not know each person's response. It would not take someone attacking me physically to trigger that response in my opinion, if they had individual weapons. YMMV

#3 ·
What was the distance between you and the bg?What do you consider close range? There is only one BG? If the BG is really close to you, it might be a better option to handle BG H2H rather than use a weapon. That depends on your hand-2-hand skills. OMO. YMMV.

#12 ·
Interesting episode of Personal Defense TV last week. Mas Ayoob did a bit on disarming someone with a gun. I really liked his opening statement...... "Attempting to disarm someone who has a gun is as close as you can get to committing suicide without actually pulling the trigger yourself!"

Personally, if I have a gun, I'm not going to try to wrestle someone else's away from them. But, as you say, Chuck Norris might disagree.....

#4 ·
After unloading several .32 into the BG, BG will look down then look back up and fire his 9mm or 45.

I wouldn't really mess around even with a .357mag or a 50 cal if the guy is at close range pointed a gun at me..

I would take out my wallet drop it on the ground and try and place as much distance between me and the BG, when he moves down to pick it up then and only then if I am far enough away and able to take a few shots then take cover would I attempt anything.

But keep in mind this isnt the movies and several people have been shot multiple times at close range and have lived or been able to fight back.. I was taught in CCW class that the survival rate for a gun shot is over 80%.

#6 ·
Police show up at the scene. " I was attacked and shot in self defense."
"I was in fear of losing my life or being seriously injured."
"I am a licensed gun carrier." As I hand them my permit and license.
Being polite I say, "I really dont want to make any statement until I've had an opportunity to talk to a lawyer."

Any comments or suggestions for improving this scenario besides carrying a larger caliber? BTW Georgia has the Castle Doctrine.
Best part: I want to speak to my lawyer. Period.

Have your lawyer on speed dial. As soon as you call 911, get off the phone with dispatch and on the phone with your lawyer.
Everything additional you say could harm your ability to make a workable defense in a courtroom.

#7 ·
Immediately after a shooting, I doubt you are going to be able to get off the phone with dispatch. And when the police show up, and I have a gun, I would rather be on the phone with dispatch so the responding police will know who I am, what I am dressed like, where I am, etc...YMMV.

Lawyers are overrated.

#10 ·
He has already got the drop on you. If he pulls the trigger, you have an extra hole in your body. As you distract him, if he sees you make a sudden movement out of the corner of his eye, he could pull the trigger several times before you could clear leather.

Even if you shot him through the heart before he reacted, he could still empty his gun before he died.

It's a tough spot to be in. The best thing to do is to have a good enough situational awareness to never find yourself in that position.

#13 ·
The best thing to do is to have a good enough situational awareness to never find yourself in that position.
Well, to be fair, if it were really that easy, none of us would even need to carry....... KnowwhatImean......? :image035:

#11 ·
Do not spend too much time and effort envisioning any one set "deadly threat" scenario in your mind.
Because there are 1,000 other possible scenarios and variations thereof and the only thing you can ever be absolutely certain of right now...is that whatever you think might happen exactly the way you're picturing it today....probably won't.

#15 ·
I have more general comments about SD situations as a whole. While working out these situations in our heads is definitely beneficial, one of the best ways to see how you would react to situations is to take a good Force-on-Force class. They usually use airsoft guns and you get shot if you don't do things right. I found that after I took one of these classes it completely changed the way I thought about SD situations and gunfights. They happen much different that the average person imagines. I saw people who were NRA instructors who couldn't even get their guns out of their holsters after being put under stress. People couldn't even remember where they were during simulated 911 calls after their scenario. Things happen so fast that everyone later admitted they were not able to even think about using sights. Reality tends to be much different than what we work out in our minds.
As far as shooting someone, unless you hit the brain or spinal column they will most likely not go right down. A person hit in the heart can still fight or up to 10 seconds, plenty enough time to kill you. One of my instructors once told us "a dead man can still kill you". Mental preparedness and willingness is the most important aspect of dealing with dynamic critical incidents. Most fights are not won by supreme tactical skill but rather raw aggression and willpower. Prisoners are a great example of this and people like them are the ones that will most likely be attacking you. Long and short of it, practice and prepare, both physically and mentally. Seek out relative training from good competent trainers to help you along the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.