I love NYC - Page 2

I love NYC

This is a discussion on I love NYC within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I lived in NJ for 35 years and worked in Manhattan off and on for about 15. My route to work was always the 1,2 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I love NYC

I lived in NJ for 35 years and worked in Manhattan off and on for about 15. My route to work was always the 1,2 or 3 from Penn Station to Port Authority then a change to the 7 across town to Grand Central; did the reverse in the evening.

Had one encounter but that was enough:

Was waiting on the #7 Grand Central platform when I (and about 2 dozen others) hear this screaming from further up the platform. It was about 5:30 PM. From the direction of the screaming comes this cruddy looking homeless guy followed by a smaller Asian guy who was bleeding from the head.

So I look at the homeless guy and, like a moron, make eye contact w/him. Now the homeless guy rushes at me. He tries to shove me onto the tracks but I used his momentum to throw him to the ground where I then commenced to "stomp a mud hole in his chest". The bleeding Asian guy catches up and he starts kicking him too. Every time the homeless guy tries to get up, the Asian guy and I kick him a couple more times. The cops get there pretty quickly and this one female bystander starts whining to the cops about how "that young man with the glasses (me) wouldn't stop kicking this poor homeless fellow!" and then "that older man (the bleeding Asian guy) jumped in and started kicking him too."

Fortunately for me, there were several witnesses who said the homeless guy tried to push me onto the tracks. Then there were more witnesses from the other end of the platform who saw the homeless guy break a bottle across the Asian guy's forehead.

The cops took everyone's statement and let us go. They took the homeless guy away in a straight jacket on a stretcher, probably to Bellview. My rain coat was ripped, from when the homeless guy grabbed it. I was wearing those heavy 'wingtips' with the hard leather soles. It must have really hurt to be kicked by them.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

In NYC, unlike Boston, people can go from car to car while the train is moving, so getting on one car and scanning around for problem people does no good.....In 1994 I went there with a Boston Police Sgt for a ride along in the South Bronx with NYPD on a Saturday night. The NYPD detective surprised me by suggesting that we bring our firearms. They have the same law as up here, one year in jail for possession without a license, and here it is now 18 months. But now that same neighborhood (44 pct) is cleaned up and the crime is way way down. Nice to hear that a neighborhood actually got better over the years. When I went there in 1994 it was absolutely wild, and Yankee Stadium is at the farthest end of the pct, 100 thousand people in 1.9 square miles.
    They would not let us go to the worst precinct, one in Brooklyn, the 77 or 79, because they said they did not want cops going there except for the fact that they had to. That is how bad it was. In the 44 pct most every call was for a man with a gun. I have never seen so many people in one place before in my entire life. A nice city in a lot of respects but some of those neighborhoods make inner-city Boston look like a scene out of Cinderella.

dcb188 ... goodness. Perhaps the worst area I was ever in, in this country, was a week in early 1980 in Revere, Mass ... a burb of Boston. (I remember they had this place named Pluto's Retreat at the time.) Craziest weekend I have ever spent in my life - was there with Army buddies - Boston was a city with as many zannies running around as there was in NYC at the same time.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

Well, I guess so, and you were near Lynn, which is the City of Sin, as they call it. But the difference is this, between NYC and Boston, and I don't understand it at all and the population difference should not make a difference like this. Let me run this by everyone. In NYC there are some hardcore bad guys, I mean guys who would literally kill you for a buck. There are a lot of them percentage wise, there. In Boston, there are very few really hardcore types like that, percentage wise re the population. I have seen very few of them. The percentage of criminals who are vicious is much higher in NYC and population may have not much to do with it, and I don't know why this is. In handling 22,000 criminal cases here in the Boston courts, I have seen only a handful of really really bad hardcore types, maybe less than a hundred out of all those thousands, but in NYC they are very common. Why?

I don't mean numbers, because obviously NYC has the numbers over Boston, but I mean percentage of really vicious bad criminals vs shmuck-types, compared to total population living in both cities. I just can't figure this one out.

Nyc Subways

I LIVED THERE ALL OF MY PAST THE SUBWAYS ARE ALWAYS DANGEROUS DAY OR NIGHT IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME GO ASK BERNIE GEOTZ REMEMBER HIM

I had a fantastic time in my last bunch of business trips to NYC. And we were out most of the evening too. Wasn't armed and didn't feel threatened in the slightest. Sure there were the occasional weirdos, but you'll find them in any urban environment. It's not all a freakshow, folks.

Any one remember the movie "escape from New York???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links