What made you start to carry? :MERGED - Page 12

What made you start to carry? :MERGED

This is a discussion on What made you start to carry? :MERGED within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was car jacked in El Paso TX in 1994 and shot in the face. Decided it was time to get my CCW after all ...

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What made you start to carry? :MERGED

I was car jacked in El Paso TX in 1994 and shot in the face. Decided it was time to get my CCW after all those years due to all the knuckleheads out there that don't care for peoples lifes and families.

when i got back from iraq and realised i was safer in baghdad than in downtown williamsport.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Because the "authorities" told me I couldn't. I thought, "who are they to deny me my Constitutional right to self-defense"? I became an instructor, joined local groups that fought for our current carry law, testified before our House and Senate, donated money to the cause, and talked about it to anyone who would listen. We finally got the law changed. I carry 24/7 as a result.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

What made you start to carry? :MERGED

In 2001, I had a stroke. I was in the hospital for over a month. Towards the last of my hospital stay I got to go home for a visit. While walking home from the visit with friends, I got jumped by a street person. I had no strength and the only weapon I had was a cane. Some people got the bum off me. After the event I told my wife that I was going to get a concealed and carry permit, since I had lost the physical ability to defend myself. I have been carrying since 2002 and plan to continue even though my health has improved!

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    ...I became...

tip of the hat

After seeing people on TV after gun violence or any kind of violence against them, when those people that said on TV, "I never thought it would happen to me, or I never though it would happen in my town" So assume it can happen to you and if it does you are more prepared to fight back.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

V8
    These two.

Enough said.

For me it was the combination of the law being passed in Florida and this event where I was almost right in the middle of the action. I was leaving work and needed to go to the Publix grocery store, but the love bugs in the morning and leaving work had creamed the front of my new car. I lived close and decided to wash off the bugs before they ate into the paint. As I was drying the car there were many sireins on police cars and ambulances going by. I carried in the glove compartment of the car, but did not have CCW permit. Anyway I went to the Sun Bank just east of the intersection of Palm Bay Road and Babcock Street, and just north of Palm Bay Road from the shopping center where Publix was located across the road and police pulled up and prevented me from leaving. It was over 20 years ago that William Cruise went on the deadly shooting spree that involved the grocery store I would have been shopping in if it were not for all those bugs smashed on the front of my new car. I had a gun in the car, but could not have been armed in the store. At about the same time Florida passed the first Shall-issue law in the country and I have had one ever since. Even today in Colorado.

Palm Bay Killer Far From Execution 20 Years Later | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

SHOOTING RAMPAGE

Late that Thursday afternoon 20 years ago, Cruse, a 59-year-old retired librarian, stormed out of his home in Palm Bay to confront teens bouncing a basketball in a neighbor's driveway. He was holding a shotgun.

Police said he had run-ins with them before, and he fired and wounded a 14-year-old boy. Then Cruse went back inside and retrieved an assault rifle. He continued to fire shots at his neighbors' homes as he drove away.

Cruse took his white Toyota Tercel to the southwest corner of Palm Bay Road and Babcock Street, where he opened fire on two Florida Tech students, killing both. Two other men were shot and injured.

Cruse then drove his car farther south. There he shot and killed 67-year-old Ruth Greene, who was leaving the Publix Supermarket. Cruse drove across Babcock and stopped at Winn-Dixie.

Officer Gerry Johnson arrived at the store and was instantly shot in the leg. He emptied his revolver at Cruse, but missed. Johnson scrambled from his car and tried to reload. Cruse stalked after him and shot him in the head.

Police would learn that in the weeks before the attacks, Cruse was taunted by neighborhood children and often argued with them. There was an indecency report filed, and Cruse, who hated homosexuals, later would tell investigators that Publix employees thought he was gay.

Just before he killed the officer, Cruse took aim at Ruben Torres, a 39-year-old mailman at the time, who had stopped at Winn-Dixie to buy shrimp for dinner. When Torres went to the front of the store to pay, he saw employees and other customers on the floor and Cruse in the parking lot.
    I should add that I deterred a home invasion shortly after that when I saw someone outside acting strangely and got my nightstand gun just as the druggie busted in the front door. He ran as I brought up the gun and was about to shoot. And again at the same Sun Bank, but I had my CCW and a Colt Ponylite 380 in my front pocket on a sunny sunday afternoon. A car with about 5 or 6 gang-looking youths pulled out of the gas station just to the west and pulled into the handicapped parking directly behind me. They were arguing saying "you gettim, no you gettim". I grabbed money, ATM card and sprinted for my car where I had a Glock 30 in the glove compartment. That Ponylite 380 did not give me much confidence when I could have faced so many attackers. As it happened, they tore out of the parking lot as soon as I was in my car. As inconvenient as it is, I swore off mouse guns and carry either 40 S&W, 10mm or 45 ACP now.
    Last edited by mtnclimber; September 9th, 2008 at 01:16 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by
    That day was a wake up call for many people. I realized that [I
    I[/I] was responsible for my family, not 911.
    I can relate!!!
    "Its's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it"
    [I]Steve-o

Seems like an ideal thread for a first post.

I can't carry to and from work since I work at a state supported university. Indiana law makes carrying there a no-no. I do have my Indiana lifetime permit.

My step-son's dad is a local LEO who carries all the time (with good reason). Because of his carry habits while he and my wife were married, she's has concerns about me carrying now, so I don't make it obvious to her when I do. We need to have that conversation someday...

While in high school I worked at a grocery store stocking shelves, sometimes late at night. Like any over confident 17 year old, I took off after a shop lifter late one night and tackled him abuot 300 yards from the store. Being somewhat gangly, he quickly knocked me off him and then pulled some type of weapon and pointed it at me. I stood there dumbfounded, having never expected that. About the same time our overweight security guard came flying up in his car and the bad guy turned and ran. This was back in the mid-80s, yet the experience has stayed with me.

My father originally got me thinking about carrying several years ago. I didn't really understand his obsession with it until I had a family of my own. Wife and kids really do change your perspective on a lot of things. Thinking back to my grocery store experience, I try to be prepared from now on... But I don't go chasing after anyone anymore - I'm too old for that now!

Great forum.

I'd have to say this web site was responsible for my decision to carry. I bought my first pistol in June of 2007 after convincing my wife that the semi-rural area in which we built our new home was isolated enough that I wanted to be able to take care of any problems before waiting for the police to get to us. The gun sat in the box in my study until November of 2007. My buddy at work convinced me to go to the gun range and try it out. I did and I became infatuated. I then realized that I should get my carry permit so I could conceal it in my truck while going to the range. We used to go at lunch break from work. The laws in PA state that it is OK to take your gun from the house to the range but was gray on stops in between. I then started researching self defense since I knew I could carry concealed. Although south central PA isn't overly loaded with crime, it has enough to warrant research. I stumbled across this site and it became much, much clearer to me how important it was add another tool to protect my family should the need arise.

Strange thing happened along the way. This stinking shooting stuff is addicting. A little over a year ago I didn't own or see a need for a pistol. Four pistols later I'm frothing at the mouth every time I get chance to go to the range. Shooting guns is just a ton of fun.

Hope I didn't bore anyone too badly.

Talking So poetic!

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    There is a story from long ago about a teenager young dumb full of stuff who rode with a bunch of guys fresh from long vacations in rice paddies. They rode crude rude customs made in American alleys and backyards. They wore jean jacket cuts over leathers with colorful patches on the back. They rode hard lived hard, everyone packed, some lived long enough to grow up and laugh at the follies of youth. Some things dropped by the wayside replaced with careers families and community service others remained the code the road, bikes and brothers. Guns remain because we've seen what slithers and crawls through the darkness and hides in the mist
    LongRider, you are such a poet! Wonderful!

I realized I live in Atlanta...
    Georgia Carry Member
    Smith-Wesson M&P40 Full Size

Being in a Taco Bell during an armerd robbery.

35 min for local LE to respond to shots fired in my area.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links