What made you start to carry? :MERGED

This is a discussion on What made you start to carry? :MERGED within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Concern over the national economic situation and the escalating violent crime both nationally as well as in my city. My family's protection is Priority 1. ...

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What made you start to carry? :MERGED

Concern over the national economic situation and the escalating violent crime both nationally as well as in my city. My family's protection is Priority 1. I think it's going to get worse, so I want to be as prepared as possible.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

All great and different reasons.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Virginia has long been an open carry state, and I started carrying back in the 70s when I worked at a local TV station which was located in a bad area of town. A couple of years before I left there, the chief engineer told all of the engineering crew that we were "now responsible for night time security at the station, and had to do an outside walk around once an hour" At that point, I told him that if I was going to be a security guard, I wanted to carry my gun on those patrols and he gave me permission.

I learned the true nature of evil at an early age. I won't go into specific incidents but I can tell you that I've traveled the planet and seen some things.
    It's long been my habit to go about armed. I've had a "Permit" since the 90's. There has been a 1911 on my hip for so long that it feels wrong without it. I can tell you that I won't let loose this mortal coil without a fight.
    When my Grandbrats are with me they have the most motivated bodyguard in the universe.

When I turned 21, I carried my Ruger Vaquero .45LC openly, but began to carry my Witness .40 concealed after I got my most recent job. I'm now a corrections officer by trade, and I am amazed by the number of people who have been convicted of violent felonies that I have run into Wal-Mart.

I am of a similar background as plugugly. I was a parole officer and sent the bad guys BACK to prison when they THOUGHT they were free and finally home. Unfortunately I did not send their family back with them and those BG dont stay in prison forever. Its just a matter of protecting me and mine. I am a probation officer now and was an investigator for the medical examiner before...investigating death(homicide) scenes on a regular basis.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

all great reasons

What made you carry?

It is my responsibility as a father and husband to take care of my family.

I had been putting it off for over 2 years. I do a lot of fishing by myself and some of it at night. I've had a few incidences where I was alone loading my boat or fishing from the bank to make the hair stand up on my neck. Now that I carry, I just worry about the fish.

I moved to Detroit. Enough said.

Being a police officer I have found over the years that I have become very un-trusting of people. Its sad for sure that I now think this way but I have had the job of dealing with the scum of the earth on a regular basis and see how simple and easy it is for one of these types to pull a gun or knife on someone else and possibly kill them for something as silly as .....they want your new sneakers?
    Todays world is full of people who would rather pull a weapon and demand your wallet than go out and work 40 hrs. a week like the rest of society....I don't want to have someone take my wallet or my life for that matter. I encourage citizens to take 30 minutes and go to your local police department and apply for your license to carry...it is your legal right. Do you really think your "tough enough" to fend off a drug induced attacker who needs "your" money for his next fix?
    It happens in the very best of neighborhoods so remember your not excluded....I'm not a gun freak or advocate for that matter but just someone who believes in "helping yourself".

I carry because I dont want me or those around me to ever be a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Akroedge540 View Post
    I carry because I dont want me or those around me to ever be a victim.
    +1

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Because I couldn't be everywhere when I was an LEO. I figure after I retired no other LEO can either.........its up to me not to be a victim or a stat.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I don't really want to cause a firestorm, but to put it bluntly, I am a Jew and what happened to my people and some family some 60 years ago, I won't let it happen to me and my family.

I am not going quietly.

And I am not going alone....
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Links