What made you start to carry? :MERGED

This is a discussion on What made you start to carry? :MERGED within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mi2az I don't really want to cause a firestorm, but to put it bluntly, I am a Jew and what happened to ...

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What made you start to carry? :MERGED

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I don't really want to cause a firestorm, but to put it bluntly, I am a Jew and what happened to my people and some family some 60 years ago, I won't let it happen to me and my family.

I am not going quietly.

And I am not going alone....
    Good for you! Hopefully we'll never have to deal with any people group being singled out like that again, but you never know. Nobody should have to go through that.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

2. Remove Ads

I was about to go through the hassle of getting the permit in MN, when I decided to join the Air Force. So I waited to find out what state I would be living in after I joined (no bases in Minnesota.)

Luckily I wound up in SD, 10 bucks and a background check for a permit to carry! And it's a great state to live in to boot!

The reason I carry is because I feel it is a right that should be taken advantage of anytime possible...the right to self defense and to defend loved ones.

Being an X- Militaty Policeman and seeing a lot of stuff. Sept.11
    and a shooting a block from my home. I was not going to let myself or my family be a victim if can help it.

I was temporarily assigned to the Brown Water Navy in 1972. Until then, I never thought too much about carrying a weapon on a regular basis. After that, I pretty much felt naked and vulnerable without some sort of weapon. Living in Ohio, I was legally permitted to carry openly, but that raised more questions than it answered. In 2004 when Ohio passed the "shall issue" ruling, I was one of the first in my county to apply and receive my CCL.

The above being said, I am of the firm belief that the LEO's are there to serve, and not protect. They don't prevent crime, they investigate it and upon occasion arrest the perps. I spent the majority of the past 10 years working with law enforcement at almost all levels - Federal, State and Local. And almost every LEO with whom I've worked will back up the above statement.

If I don't take the responsibility to protect my family and myself, then shame on me. So, in a nutshell, I carry to protect me and mine. And as crass as it sounds, the rest are on their own. The ONLY time I would become involved in interceding in someone elses' fight is if not to do so would put my family or me into harms way.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Divebum, you are soo right. The protect part of policing is to protect the public, not the person. LEO's protect the public by finding the BG's and getting them off the street, not by being at your house when the BG arrives.

1: I'm not a big guy, and can't fight like Bruce Lee.

2: A life threating event induced by a random individual incountered at a camp sight.

3: Same as above but at a remote spot on Galviston Beach at night.

4: Charged by a pack of wild dogs when bike courriering in Houston

5: Failed carjacking do to LEO rounding the corner in Houston.

6: It's a right.
    So now I pack da heat. I also moved to Fort Worth...less chaos IMHO.

My decision to carry......

I'm not getting any younger. Although I'm only 46, I have the lower back and legs of someone who is much older. I am no longer made of rubber and wear Superman jammies. I simply believe that I am a bigger target now due to illness/injury vice that of a few years ago.

I live in a nice neighborhood but I must drive through, shop, etc. into Shreveport which has a bigger crime rate. Also, a friend of mine was changing a flat tire and a man stopped to help. He was under the influence of something. Luckily, the guy accepted my friend's answer that he did not need help. The scenario could have been worse. Changing a tire used to be safe, but not these days.

In my humble opinion, the decision to carry was based on necessity vice simply that it was my right/privledge to carry.

It just seemed natural to me. Criminals carry gun with them, why wouldn't I at least match what they have?

I have carried for almost 20 years now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Don't care to be a victim!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Divebum, you are soo right. The protect part of policing is to protect the public, not the person. LEO's protect the public by finding the BG's and getting them off the street, not by being at your house when the BG arrives.
    Agreed, and bingo!

Why is this very simple concept so difficult for much of the general public to understand?
    Just like doctors they largely do not prevent issues, they just document and offer treatment upon an issue occurring.

I personally carry because I'm in love with my physical sentient self as I am today.
    As well I do not enjoy pain and suffering of my physical or mental self and therefore to some folks eyes that makes me a "wimp". So be it. Call me what ever you name you feel fits, just as long as it's not 'dead', 'victim', 'hospitalized', 'vegetable', 'cripple', nor late for dinner.
    Also I carry because my children expect me to be home to eat dinner with them and to tuck them into bed each night. As well when they are in fear they almost always come running to me for comfort and security and expect comfort as well as security. Further it is my job as their father to do the best that I can within my means to protect and shield them from harm.
    That doesn't mean I'll be successful at every effort or that by having and/or carrying on my persons arms of any sort will allow me Superman powers to save them from any and all calamity. This too is a misperception I've IRL come to suffer at the hands of ignorant people who know I carry (relatives and anti-gun wife). But I go in to the job and walk out my doors daily knowing that I stack the deck to my favor and advantage when I carry and do so covertly for ultimate benefit of my children and my self.

- Janq is a mere mortal with thin easily bruised and punctured thin skin, breakable bones, and a fragile brain with the physical characteristics of overly boiled pasta
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Stories like this made me carry!

Manhunt On After Bystander Killed In Plant City Shootout

Mind you, the perp is still loose!
    Watch your six!

I carry because I can.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

I refuse to be an unprepared victim.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Late 70’s I went to work part-time for the sheriff’s department. Departmental policy required carrying 24/7, so over the next 5 years, I got use to carrying a pistol. So when I left the department, I got a CCL.

Today some 30 years, later my wife will tell you that if I have my pants on, I’m armed.

As to what I carry; it depends on the weather. If it’s hot Kel-Tek P3AT 380 if it’s cooler and I can wear a jacket Glock 26.

Because I want to!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Links