What made you start to carry? :MERGED

This is a discussion on What made you start to carry? :MERGED within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lima, Thank you for posting such a thought provoking post. I've read and enjoyed many of your posts but didn't realize all of the very ...

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What made you start to carry? :MERGED

Lima,

Thank you for posting such a thought provoking post. I've read and enjoyed many of your posts but didn't realize all of the very difficult times you've been through. As the father of two grown daughters, your post really hit home with me. They both carry pepper spray but I don't think would ever consider carrying a concealed weapon. The one daugher who likes to shoot handguns lives in Omaha and also travels quite a bit in her job so it would be very difficult for her to carry. The daughter who lives in Denver has a "doesn't like guns" husband and I don't think she'd ever consider carrying.

I live in a very safe, small town in Wyoming. But, we have two intersate highways that converge here, mountain lions, a few "strange" folks hiking in the wilderness area and a few "strange" locals. I guess what prompted me to carry was an incident a few years ago when my wife and I were hiking and two pit bulls came around the corner and headed straight for my wife and I. I pulled my Benchmade and I felt pretty darned "undergunned". The girls who owned the dogs showed up and got the dogs under control and then we had a little "discussion".

Meth is a big problem here. In fact, a couple of meth labs have been busted real real close to home. One in a remote part of a trail we hike and another 1 mile from where we live. We've also heard several stories about "spooks" on the trail that made people nervous. As I'm to the age where I can't fight anymore, I got my CC.

Cloudpeak

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    I decided I did not want to be the next guy at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    That's perfect, Sticks. Well said!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I have had two experiences where lethal force was justified. I was not armed for either. Never again! Plus, just watching the news. I live in a medium city, Springfield, Mo. Crime is on the rise, rejects moving down from East St. Louis. I will be ready, if it ever happens again. TCSS, Clark
    Kel Tec P-32 .32
    Grendel P-10 .380

when i turned

when i was young i always loved wepons read a lot of books and like playing guns an war on the weekends,,on my 21 b-day i went to
    the gun store and bought a ruger p-89 DC which they discounted ,,i am
    35 now an still carry an have not stopped oh yea i still have the ruger,,

I'm actually not carrying yet (still 2 months until I'm 21), but I have decided that I will be carrying. I've always been interested in shooting and hunting, and this just seemed the next logical step. Then I came to these forums and read plenty of stories to realize that this would not only be the logical thing to do, but the smart thing to do. I see that so many people started carrying AFTER something bad happened. Based on others' bad experiences, I've decided to be prepared when/if my bad experience comes along.
    "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him."-Jeremiah 17:7

The Wichita Horror...After reading the full story I decided right then and there that I'd rather die in a gunfight than have that happen to me and mine.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    The Wichita Horror...After reading the full story I decided right then and there that I'd rather die in a gunfight than have that happen to me and mine.
    I read the entire account last year. The images are still in my mind. Textbook case of why it's not good enough to comply and hope for the best. Required reading for my daughter at some point.

VT; Cheshire, CT; and the Wichita Horror are the 3 reasons I'll never be unarmed again in my home, or outside my home if legal... No innocent people should have to endure what those people endured.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, as I live in Maryland, I don't really carry (except when I leave the state---thank you Florida! )

But, my thought process went something like this... A few years ago I bought a handgun. I shot a bit as a kid so didn't have any issues about guns, and I thought I should be able to use one well. Then, if I was going to have a gun, I should be able to defend my home with it, so I never have to regret a situation where I could have used it but didn't. The same line of reasoning took me through Massad Ayoob's training at LFI, and to getting my non-resident FL permit.

So, basically, I can own a gun to protect myself, and as long as I can do it I don't ever want to be in a situation where I could have done something but wasn't prepared.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I grew up in a very bad place in GA. I learned Tae Kwon Do as a kid for self defense. I was very good at it. By high school, I could barely hold my own in a fight, as I was a very small teen. By graduation, I had been shot at twice. Once, the guy was yelling out my name, as he shot. It was far from random. I had made some enemies.

I started to carry that summer.

I moved away from that place several years ago, and relaxed my carry to only when I was back home.

Then, about two years ago, I stopped for gas in the wrong part of Milwaukee. With my wife and kids in the car looking on, I was approached four different times for money as I filled my empty tank. None of the people threatened me, but any one could have easily been desperate enough to try. Times are changing. One day, I'll own an island, and put my pistol away for good.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    The first 10 amendments to the Constitution are "The Bill of Rights". These were written by our founding fathers and not our Creator. The Declaration of Independence talks about our certain inalienable rights given to us by our Creator, but not about the right to self preservation. That is why the second amendment was written in order to establish a military and to give individuals the right to self preservation of themselves and their country by owning and bearing arms. That is why other countries in the world have weapon confiscations and takeovers of government. Our Creator did give us free will to defend ourselves, or not, and that is why we have martyrs and saints, and also why we have evil tyrants and despots.
    I may have misunderstood the post, but I don't know of anyone who claims that our founding documents were written by God.
    The Declaration of Independence was written out by our Founders. It speaks of God-given and inalienable, among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

The BOR was written out to make plain what wasn't always plain to all people at all times. Still given by our Creator.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Lots of reasons but got CCW only recent.

Am 48 now.
    At 19 in conveinient store job to pay for college was robbed at gun point. Quit and drove a cab... even worse but no robberies. At 23 robbed at gunpoint on city street.

My now wife left some bum for me 20 yrs ago and I was stalked to the point of having my single shot 20 guage near me often. Nothing made me more pumped than walking around my dark house looking for this dude with only one shot!

I lived in Ithaca NY wher a local family was held hostage all night tied to their dining chairs, 15 yr old daughter raped and all executed in front of each other. The entire town bought guns. I always had a short pump 12 guage at the ready to this day after that.

Moved back to CT 8 yrs ago and just amazed at the dirt bags and criminal types EVERYWHERE. Even the crazy agressive "contractor" types in giant 4x4 trucks rushing around without regard for traffic laws or other drivers. Witnessed one accidentally cut off by a little old lady and he was about to drag her out of her car to beat her and and I diverted his attention until he came after me and I just took off.
    ROAD RAGE IS CLOSE TO #1 REASON.

Shared a shop with some guys in a business partnership that went sour. I was friends with the not so crazy one. Well the crazy one took a lot of his frustrations out on me verbally so I allways kept another short 12 guage in a locked tool cabinet with his name on it.

The final reason was a criminal, in and out of prison, girlfriend beating, neighbor. He gets hauled away regularly and retuns to stalk until she remembers she loves him. He is often lurking around my house at these moments. I have had these situations before and the dumb a** always thinks you are butting into their affairs even if you are only walking the dog. I have small dogs so as my local gun shop guy says " you'll need a big gun with a dog like that"

I guess I got real tired of imagining the situation where I would have to manipulate a large 12 guage around the house for defense although very effective, not easy.

As i told a friend that thinks I am a total paranoid... I sort of feel complete now. And I love strapping that steel on every morning. Although the gunpoint situations could not have been changed for the better if I carried. It all just happens too fast.

I don't ink I can sleep now. All pumped reliving that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I may have misunderstood the post, but I don't know of anyone who claims that our founding documents were written by God.
    The Declaration of Independence was written out by our Founders. It speaks of God-given and inalienable, among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

The BOR was written out to make plain what wasn't always plain to all people at all times. Still given by our Creator.
    That post was written in response to mine (#18), and you're spot on Miklcolt45. That these rights are considered man-made in other countries is the reason so many other countries have had them taken away by other men. The antis wish it were so here.

The D.C. vs Heller arguments, pro-Heller amicus curiae briefs, and Parker vs. D.C. majority opinion before it http://pacer.cadc.uscourts.gov/docs/...3/04-7041a.pdf lay out the philosophical underpinnings of the 2nd Amendment from the founding documents and their antecedents.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Been in 3 robberies, shot at twice, shot back once, threatened by drunks, family threatened a couple of times, run off the road once, confronted by road ragers a couple times. Once built a project across the street from a drug house [ was busted during my project] and have walked in on a few bad situations.
    The world has not changed, there is just as much evil in it as when I was a kid. There are just more people which makes your chances of seing it better.
    I carry because of what limatunes said earlier. I carry because of my wife and grandchildren I want all the time with them God is willing to give me. If I have anything to say about it, He will be the one to take me home, not some meth breathing thug.
    Last edited by JD; April 28th, 2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Removed illegal content.

The idea has been floating in my mind for years. It was a natural progression;

First, in 1997, a friend and I had the pleasure of being stalked for several miles and finally pounced upon by a large male cougar. Fortunately the cat changed his mind and sauntered off, leaving me with a ripped hiking boot and a new respect for Nature. A few weeks later a sow grizzly rose up out of the bushes in front of me causing me to wet myself for the second time in less than a month.. bought my first serious handgun (.45LC) and began to OC on the trail.

Next, in 2002, I was followed through the backcountry by a man with a gun. He left the trail to follow me and made every attempt to hide in the trees when I looked back at him. I had foolishly left my sidearm in my Jeep and beelined back towards it before he could shorten the distance between us. Made it to my Jeep but he hid from me when I was forced to drive back through the area he was in. Spooky stuff... started to consider getting my CHL.

Then, in 2005, a man called the local PD to tell them that he would be wandering the streets with a knife looking to stab someone. He walked past my front door, bowie knife in hand, and was met by the PD two blocks away and subdued with bean bag rounds after holding the knife to his own throat. Thankfully my children weren't playing in the yard... once again I thought about that CHL.

Last year, a nice guy opened a jewelry shop two blocks from my home. This guy was polite and kind, and busy fulfilling his dream. Then, around Christmas, a gunman shot him three times and made off with over a million dollars in jewelry and diamonds. The victim lived, but his store was under-insured and he lost everything and is slowly trying to regain his physical health... once again I remembered that I was meaning to get down to apply for that CHL.

This year was the clincher. The cousin of a Shoshone friend of mine, "Uncle Skizzy", went out to shovel snow. He was in his fifties and lives on a Reservation located a few miles from our home. When his family realized that he hadn't returned, they went out to look for him, only to find him dead. He had been eviscerated and was being devoured by a pack of feral dogs. No one is certain of the cause of death yet, but it is certain that the dogs were devouring him in his yard. The "Rez packs" have been killing pet cats and dogs for a while, but this is the first time that they have been suspected of involvement in a human death.

So I figured that between armed robbers, mall-shootings, cougar, suicidal knife-wielders, grizzly, the response to Hurricane Katrina, and man-eating packs of feral dogs : I need to start carrying a firearm on a more regular basis. My little Idaho town just isn't the same any more, and simply carrying in the mountains is not going to ensure my family's safety.

Great posts everyone, thanks for sharing!

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I don't have any stories to tell and certainly 9/11 was a wake up call to America. My sole reason is that I believe the right of self preservation was given to every citizen of the United States of America by our founding forefathers who framed our Constitution. Long before terrorists were flying airplanes into buildings and street gang warfare, those noble men had the foresight to realize that only you and you alone can be responsible for your own safety by establishing the Second Amendment to the Constitution. Even though some of our politicians would have us believe otherwise, any sane rational person can see this fact. "You can fool part of the people part of the time, but not all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln.
    "Given" is a bad choice of words. To me it means that they can take it away if they want. And lately, some of them 'want' badly. Re-affirmed our God given right......Yeah, I like that better.

Redcap, great story.........
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links