What made you start to carry? :MERGED - Page 9

What made you start to carry? :MERGED

This is a discussion on What made you start to carry? :MERGED within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey jaaronkozak would that club happen to be Taylor's or what used to be taylors? I tended to always stay away from that place because ...

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What made you start to carry? :MERGED

Hey jaaronkozak would that club happen to be Taylor's or what used to be taylors? I tended to always stay away from that place because of the "people" that frequented it and that every weekend somebody was getting shot or stabbed on the regular. The only other places I could think of like that would be Hooligan's or the Party Zone.
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

My Reason not to carry

I grew up in Chicago...had a pistol range in my basement and used to practice with my Dad and the LEO neighbor.
    2 of my friends have been robbed on the EL...
    2 girls I know have been raped....
    Another Classmate of mine was pistol whipped and robbed in front of my school in broad daylight.
    Took a 357 shell through a Volkswagon with 4 guys in it (no injuries)
    It would be illegal for me to carry a gun In Illinois.
    I moved to "Little town" Wisconsin.
    A lady was murdered in her home, no one was ever caught.
    I carry large sums of money, often.
    My office was broken into.
    My wife's life was threatened by one of her students.
    I live where the response time is 20 minutes plus.
    It is illegal for me to carry my Taurus millenium Pro 45. It is illegal for my wife to carry her new LCP.
    I envey all of you who can protect their loved ones 24/7 legally.

Mal
    Quote Originally Posted by ayce2 View Post
    I envey all of you who can protect their loved ones 24/7 legally.
    I'm not advocating breaking the law or anything, but were I in the same situation (LEO response time of 20 minutes, living out in the country, etc.) I'd probably carry for protection legal or no. If you're carrying properly, it's a non-issue (as nobody should know it's there) and if (God Forbid) you have to use the weapon in defense of your own life or your family's, the last thing you'll have to worry about is a Class A Misdemeanor charge for carrying a concealed handgun.

Frankly, having not done much research on the issue, I didn't know there were states that didn't have some kind of concealed handgun permit. I'm sure there are groups, gun-clubs, etc. that are working to get that changed in Wisconsin, I'd recommend you join those organizations and support their efforts (even lending another "voice" to their efforts can help!).

Mal

Mal
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    The Army did it for me.

For years I had a strong side on my right hip, a belly band, and an ankle and 1 knife.

Then when I got moved to a different MOS (job), the primary weapons were rifle's of varying types, a strong side OWB pistol, belly band, and ankle and 2 knives.

So now after carrying weapons for 19 years, carrying 1 pistol is easy.
    What the heck was your job in the Army?! Belly bands, Ankle (holsters?)? Not practical gear for BDU's...Some kind of LEO in the Army or something?

Mal

because i am an american citizin, and as such i have a duty to uphold freedom and liberty. i have a passion for life and a responsability to defend mine and those who cant defend there own. i am a father a brother a husband and a son. Columbine, VA TECH, 9/11, Trolly Squar, my father and brother being held at gun point, same brother had a knife pulled on him for looking at a illegals bike, a lady shot at church about 3 miles away by divorced husband, guy went crazy in a mall by inlaws house. started shooting people at random with a shot gun. how many reasons does one need? i think the first reason i gave is justifaction. if its this bad where i live, and i live in central Utah how bad would it be in other places? i work all around the western states. i want the best chance to make it back home when i get done.

“Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”
    - William J. Bennett

[.

Frankly, having not done much research on the issue, I didn't know there were states that didn't have some kind of concealed handgun permit. I'm sure there are groups, gun-clubs, etc. that are working to get that changed in Wisconsin, I'd recommend you join those organizations and support their efforts (even lending another "voice" to their efforts can help!).

Mal[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, In Wi we can carry on our own property locked and loaded, fully exposed; just don't leave your castle without the gun unloaded, cased and in the trunk. We missed a new concealed law by 2 votes

In the past few years I got into doing communications work. Last year I found myself at a tower site after dark in a rough area. I realized than that I needed to start carrying. My son was going through the law enforcement academy at that time and encouraged me to do it. I had not fired a pistol in 29 years but still had my model 19s. So , I took the course and got my Louisiana permit. Since then I am very glad I did for the peace of mind it gives me. In addition I practice at the range atleast once a week and enjoy that also. So now I not only have a much better peace of mind, I also have a new again hobby to me to enjoy especially when my son goes with me to the range. I even ahve him where he wishes he could carry a model 19.

Katrina/Rita. It seems like I did nothing for almost three days every night after work but watch the news coverage in horror until well into the AM hours.

As I do now, then I thought wow. I can't believe that this is happening in America. But if it can happen in LA, it can happen anywhere. It's better to be prepared for urban civil unrest than to be dependent on the state for help. Cause in all likelihood, it won't come until its too late.

And that was that.

I should add that I was in Boston during Katrina. So I had to get a license to carry, the MA term for a CCW, to have a handgun in the home.

Also, I'd been thinking of doing it for years, but Katrina was the catalyst that caused me to get off my hump and get the process started.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

what made me start thinking of carrying was when a friend and his pregnant wife went to the mall and ran into her ex. after the ex had some words with my friends wife, he got in her face, and my friends stepped over to him and got his wife out of the way, he had a wrench from working on his car in his pocket and grabbed it (still in his pocket), the guy took a swing at him, he ducked out of the way and was able to land a few punches before the guy realized what happened.

plus the thought of pulling into a gas station i dont know all that well.

my friends laugh because i like the last pump at my favorite place, mainly because there nothing behind me, and i can watch most of the "yard" while pumping.

but alas, i still dont get to for another 2 years. well i can OC, but my mom is an anti, and works in a hospital, so a lot of her friends know me, but i dont know them, so if she ever heard........

I started to carry when a criminal I had worked with made threats and a probation officer who worked with him told me outright: "You go and get a gun and a CPL license and you do it now."

I feel so stupid not to have done it sooner. There were so many other times when the criminals I work with have posed serious threats to me.

I was always afraid that if I used a gun for self protection, I would end up in prison.

The Castle Law having passed in Michigan contributed to my decision too.

I'm currently waiting for my permit arrive. I wanted to do it sooner but I have an anti wife but that's another story.

After the Arvada church shooting (exactly 1 mile from my home) and the Colorado Springs church shooting the next day, I made up my mind. The birth of my 3rd son also cemented the decision. Cops (God bless them) can't be everyhwere at once and instantaneously and I'm responsible for the safety of my family.

I grew up in Southern CA where CCW permits are impossible to get, yet gangs where everywhere and there was always a shooting or 10 on the daily news. Minding your own business doesn't guarantee safety I've learned. I've been fortunate so far but now I have a family and I aim to protect them, despite what my wife says.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I turned the legal age to CC. I had planned on getting my CCW permit as far back as I knew what it was. I think 11-13 years old, in that age area,is when I learned about it,.... Going to gun shows with my father.

(Don't get me wrong. I've been carring defensive folders for years, I have health issues that would it make impossible for me to 'run' from a threat,or effectively 'fight back', so a weapon seems to be the best defense. )

I have always owned guns and I had my CCW for years before I started carrying on a regular basis. But, a little over a year ago a man and women were carjacked, beaten, raped and then murdered by three guys that had been in trouble with the law thier entire lives. Since this happen here in Knoxville it really made me think. The police are excellent at what they do, but facts are that they can not be everywhere all the time. I relized that I am responsible for protecting myself and my family.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    --Thomas Jefferson

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”
    General Douglas MacArthur

jerm1109, i remember that story, wasn't it two college kids, i believe the girls name was Channon. horrible story, a reminder of why we are armed.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I started carrying last year after coming to the realization that it was up to me to defend myself and my family.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links