What made you start to carry? :MERGED

This is a discussion on What made you start to carry? :MERGED within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read a similar thread on a another board and i thought it was really interesting. I wanted to share with everyone here. I'm sure ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What made you start to carry? :MERGED

I read a similar thread on a another board and i thought it was really interesting. I wanted to share with everyone here. I'm sure something similar has been posted in the past, however, i didn't see one and this will give some of us newbies a chance to share. So why did i start to carry?

Two personal events:

1. A good college buddy of mine moved to DC after we graduated (about 4 years ago). He and 2 others (1 male, 1 female) were outside of their townhome in Georgetown having a smoke later in the evening (about 11pm), 2 males approached armed and demanded the female's purse. One of the muggers grabbed the purse and subsequently pushed the female to the ground. My friend leaned down to help her, and one of the mugger's fired twice into his abdomen. He survived the shooting (one of the spent bullets ended up in his bladder, to which he had to let come out the natural way according to the docs, not a great feeling)
    2. My younger brother was getting into his new car outside of his house in the Vanderbilt area of Nashville (along with his frat buddy), 5 males (in their teens or early 20s, one armed) approached and put a gun to my brother's head, took his wallet, phone and keys, robbed his friend as well. Stole his car, it was later found 6 days later in GA on the side of the highway.

The incidents and one particularly bad incident that sticks out in my mind from the news, was the doctor (I believe in MA or CT) who's wife and two daughters were raped, murdered, and the doctor was severly beaten by 2 escaped inmates. House was burned down.

After my brother could have potentially left this earth that night, i made a promise that i would always do something to defend myself and my family.

Common sense and a healthy sense of my responsibility to my family.

What Dave said. That, and 6 years of scraping all manner of victim from all parts of the county (including the "best" parts) up from where they were beaten/stabbed/shot.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    My application to carry sat in a drawer for three years until just after Sept, 11, 2001. I filled it out got the processing going.
    That day was a wake up call for many people. I realized that I was responsible for my family, not 911.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Pulled into Walmart (30 minute drive into town from home). Saw two guys beside an old truck so I parked next row over and towards walmart a little. It was still daylight....but early evening. Went into Wally World....got my stuff....came back out..two guys still there...both watching me but not advancing....Got into truck and left...they pulled out behind me. I pulled into Lowes to get some stuff for hubby, they followed but turned around in parking lot and left. I parked went in...came out.

When I pulled out of the parking lot the truck pulled out of the sonic on other side of street.....as I headed out of town they did too, about 10 car lengths behind me. I called my husband and by the time he told me to call 911 they turned around.

He had us both signed up for class the next week

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I got my CCW after 9/11 because where I live,I'll have to take care of it before
    authorities do.CCW about being responsible to me and I was at a point in my life that I was ready.

started carrying

Quote Originally Posted by brandy_easttx View Post
    Pulled into Walmart (30 minute drive into town from home). Saw two guys beside an old truck so I parked next row over and towards walmart a little. It was still daylight....but early evening. Went into Wally World....got my stuff....came back out..two guys still there...both watching me but not advancing....Got into truck and left...they pulled out behind me. I pulled into Lowes to get some stuff for hubby, they followed but turned around in parking lot and left. I parked went in...came out.

When I pulled out of the parking lot the truck pulled out of the sonic on other side of street.....as I headed out of town they did too, about 10 car lengths behind me. I called my husband and by the time he told me to call 911 they turned around.

He had us both signed up for class the next week
    excellant reason of many to ccw. good for both of ya to go
    together for a good cause.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Someone from another forum got me started here, as a passing interest, I think I've been reading here for a coupla years now.

I have recognized the unknown risks I face (general thugary) as well as some specific to me risks (occupation/religion/location type stuff). I have decided that carrying is a good way to negate those risks. (The wife is taking her pistol course in a few days. )

We also see our rights and common sense as a country eroding. Now is the time to get the permits, and to excercise the rights. Writing to legislators is going to be important too, in the not to far future.

End note: The wife 'came over' by sound reasoning, and general banter on the subject over the last two years or so--no persuasion. As have I, she's read Chris Bird & Massad Ayoob, and has come to the decision of her own accord. That this becomes a hobby we can enjoy together probably has some draw as well.
    H@H

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    1. Former LEO
    2. Spent last 22/26 years in central Florida
    3. Increased gang activity in Orlando
    4. Increased car jackings in Orlando
    5. Increased home invasions in Orlando
    6. Increased violent crime everywhere
    7. Increasing violent crime in southern Colorado
    Last edited by sniper58; April 19th, 2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

While I was in college, I lived about 50mi from my girlfriend who lived alone.

One day, she told me she would feel safer if she had a gun. I was a staunch anti who, even with very minimal exposure to guns, thought no civilian should be allowed to own a firearm. I took her to a gun shop to show her just how dangerous and evil guns are in hopes to dissuade her.

Instead, the exact opposite happened. Many of my misconceptions about firearms were dispelled. We didn't purchase firearms until much later but going to the gun shop completely changed my outlook.

Now we're married and we both have permits and we both carry because we love life.

Some crazy old guy with a gun, confused me with a squirrel and started playing sniper with his .22 short.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...carry-now.html
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

no certain event caused me to carry. just watching the news and observing the world around me.
    i decided also that i would never ask a cop to risk his life for mine.

since i have my lic. now,i would not only defend myself but also any innocents caught up in a dangerous and violent situation if i thought anything really bad was about to happen.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

kpw
    Why? I turned 21...19 1/2 years ago. I grew up shooting and hunting and it just seemed like the natural progression of things.

I don't have any stories to tell and certainly 9/11 was a wake up call to America. My sole reason is that I believe the right of self preservation was given to every citizen of the United States of America by our founding forefathers who framed our Constitution. Long before terrorists were flying airplanes into buildings and street gang warfare, those noble men had the foresight to realize that only you and you alone can be responsible for your own safety by establishing the Second Amendment to the Constitution. Even though some of our politicians would have us believe otherwise, any sane rational person can see this fact. "You can fool part of the people part of the time, but not all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln.

Great posts by everyone....my story hapened about 4yrs ago when I was dumber than dirt and thought my hands would suffice for my defence...I was at the store just a few miles from my home, on my way home from work, when a young guy came into the store and started yelling at the clerk about poor service to his wife...I was in line, and much bigger than this man, but was trying to mind my own business.The guy kept looking my way as if I were going to interfere, which I wasn't, and as he left he walked up to me and said"the bigger they are the harder I drop they a**" end quote. Of course I just srugged it off as a guy blowing off steam,bought my six pack off Shiner Bock and left. As I left the store the young guy walks up to me at the door with about 3 of his buddies...needless to say I knew not what to do, as he began to yell at me from 3 paces away i grabbed a beer from the six pack and struck him over the head breaking the bottle. Not knowing if the others were in the fighting mood I held onto the broken end of the glass because I had no other wepon, smart I know,but the others just wanted to get thier friend and go...thank the Good Lord....becuase they were many and much bigger than me...was in the class ASAP and haven't had another confrontation since,thank goodness. I thought getting my permit would make me feel better, instead it's just another set of rules to live by, and actually makes things more complicated than they used to be. Still wouldn't change anything for the world, and my wife carry's just as much as I do....I love that woman...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links