Any gun fights you've heard of with laser sights involved? - Page 5

Any gun fights you've heard of with laser sights involved?

This is a discussion on Any gun fights you've heard of with laser sights involved? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Daniella What is the difference between the green and the red laser? one is green, and the other is red. it is ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any gun fights you've heard of with laser sights involved?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    What is the difference between the green and the red laser?
    one is green, and the other is red.

it is said the green is brighter and easier to pick up quickly.

and no, the taser's laser is not for intimidation, and a professional does not point their weapon for intimidation purposes!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Green lasers are supposed to be brighter and easier to see in daylight/lit room conditions. They have a shorter wavelength, and I think they're higher power. Generally, more expensive, too.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    and no, the taser's laser is not for intimidation, and a professional does not point their weapon for intimidation purposes!
    I beg to differ ... as told straight from an LEO's mouth. He was very specific. Said that when they see that laser on them they quiet-it-down immediately.

I know one thing. As far as the lasers on tazers are concerned, I can reasonably see, or think, of no other reason to have one on a tazer except to let the person that is about to be on the other end know that they have been targeted and that the sizzle is imminent. Resistence at that point, is futile.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Falcon View Post
    I beg to differ ... as told straight from an LEO's mouth. He was very specific. Said that when they see that laser on them they quiet-it-down immediately.
    I believe that situations may vary. For the typical domestic dispute, a bully, even a drunken bully, can be intimidated by a laser. If you are undercover on narcotics duty, I don't think your hardened criminal adversaries, who may be using their own product, are intimidated by lasers.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    If you are undercover on narcotics duty, I don't think your hardened criminal adversaries, who may be using their own product, are intimidated by lasers.
    Well-said. If you've already drawn your firearm, it's time to prepare for the worst.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Green lasers are supposed to be brighter and easier to see in daylight/lit room conditions. They have a shorter wavelength, and I think they're higher power. Generally, more expensive, too.

-JT
    I have several hand held green lasers (and they can light matches and burn stuff). They are expensive compared to red. Yes they are more visible since green is the most sensitive color to the human eye..

The issue is in the dark you can see the beam.. And when you shine them on the wall you get flash blinded.. As a tactical stand point you wouldnt want to use one indoors or at night.

Plus the green laser is not built like a red laser, a red laser uses a simple red laser diode, its similar to think of this kind of like an LED light, it can take a lot of abuse.

On the other hand the green laser uses an IR laser diode, then it runs it into various optics and crystals which change the IR wavelength into green 532nm wavelength. The issue is if the optics and crystals become misaligned then bam your lasers dead.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    One is red and the other green...... The green is suppose to be more visible in daylight. The green is also in a larger housing due to the red laser has to be sent thru a crystal so that is come out green.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

BAC, we are encouraged to fiddle with the lasers to see if we like them or not.

Airborne, yup, IR is useless during the day, but I'd bet your device has a visible laser on it to, if the Marine Corp's hand me downs have em, then the Army surely does.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I fail to see how a gunfight could be over before the laser had a chance to reach the target.

speed of laser: approx 300,000,000 meters per second
    speed of bullet: approx 300 meters per second

I also find it hard to believe that a gunfight is over before it even begins. It seems for something to be over before it begins it would have to be traveling faster than light, and we already said that the bullet is 1,000,000 times slower than light.

Look, lasers aren't perfect, we know that. It's not the best way to become an expert with a sidearm. But not everybody has the time, discipline, stamina, physical conditioning, and perseverance to be a Sixto. If an electronic crutch can help people hit a target that they otherwise might not be able to, then they should use it.

Maybe they just want it so their sidearm can serve them in multiple ways(i.e. cat toy, slide show pointer, defensive tool, etc.).
    The average armed encounter will occur in less than 12 feet and be over in 2-3 seconds.

What Sixto is trying to get across is how rapidly such encounts occur and how fast they are over. You will have no more time than time to react. If you have not trained yourself for such an intense and rapid encounter you run a great chance of loosing.

If all you do is shoot at silloute targets in a bang.....bang.....bang method, when you get in a bangbangbangbang situation you will be waaaaay behind in your response.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The most obvious difference between green and red laser pointers is beam visibility. The human eye is most sensitive to light with a wavelength of approximately 555nm (yellow/green) which makes green lasers much more visible than red lasers. Green laser can appear to be roughly 50 times brighter than red lasers.

The other main difference between red and green lasers is the complexity of their construction. In simple terms a red laser consists of a circuit board, red laser diode and a focusing lens. Green lasers on the other hand are much more complex because there are no green laser diodes that can be used. Instead an infrared (808nm) diode is used with a combination of special crystals and a filter to produce green laser light.

Administrator
    Oh boy... we have a long way to go.
    "Just blame Sixto"

one is green, and the other is red.

it is said the green is brighter and easier to pick up quickly.

As a LEO, I have to disagree. At times, weapons are pointed, (at least initially) to intimidate the suspect(felony vehicle stop as an example). My dept's use of force guidelines address weapon presentation as constructive force(same as yelling, being in uniform, etc)That said, I think lasers can be useful for people who don't practice with their weapons. For me, I won't use one. Just another thing to go wrong when Murphy raises his head up. OMO
    Last edited by mulle46; April 23rd, 2008 at 07:58 PM.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    n

As a LEO, I have to disagree. At times, weapons are pointed, (at least initially) to intimidate the suspect(felony vehicle stop as an example). My dept's use of force guidelines address weapon presentation as constructive force(same as yelling, being in uniform, etc)That said, I think lasers can be useful for people who don't practice with their weapons. For me, I won't use one. Just another thing to go wrong when Murphy raises his head up. OMO
    Agreed 100%, but its done in the name of officer safety/tactics, not intimidation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Agreed 100%, but its done in the name of officer safety/tactics, not intimidation.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Sometimes officer safety/tactics does equal intimidation. If a BG is scared to react after having a weapon pointed at him or her, that would be intimidation but it would also be officer safety. If I can scare the BG by pointing my weapon at him or her, and cause the BG to comply with my orders, then my job is done without firing a shot.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    BAC, we are encouraged to fiddle with the lasers to see if we like them or not.
    Which is true, but only for the enlisted man issued the laser, not for his friend. Apparently he doesn't feel like explaining himself just because he put something mechanical in front of me and expected me not to mess with it.

Since I've said that, my brother's got himself a working laser built from an old DVD burner and other parts that can actually burn stuff (love YouTube). Guess it's family thing.

-B

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links