Any gun fights you've heard of with laser sights involved?

This is a discussion on Any gun fights you've heard of with laser sights involved? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter Law Enforcement officers who qualified with 85% - 90% hits on paper had hit numbers in actual street shooting/scenarios drop down ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Any gun fights you've heard of with laser sights involved?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Law Enforcement officers who qualified with 85% - 90% hits on paper had hit numbers in actual street shooting/scenarios drop down to a mere 20%.

When a Crimson Trace laser sight was used the % of body hits on bad guys in actual scenarios went up to 90%.
    Was this an actual study? Who did it? Is there a source?

Because if this is accurate isn't this entire debate kind of, well, over?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Most of the people on this site are dedicated shooters who know the value of practice. My wife on the other hand knows that she isn't that good (shes actually better than she thinks but lacks self confidence). She only gets to the range about twice a year, sometimes a lil more, but not enough. I think a laser would help her in most but not all home defense scenarios. If a laser gives her the confidence to deploy the weapon I say +1 to lasers.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont buy into that line of thinking much, here is why;............

"Home invasion" is a totally different story. Then the fight is on, no doubt. Unfortunately, it could be difficult to tell if it's a real "home invasion" or just a crazy and/or stupid burglar. Do you think the BG might be inclined to inform me, should I politely ask?

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Was this an actual study? Who did it? Is there a source?

Because if this is accurate isn't this entire debate kind of, well, over?
    A week or two ago I saw an episode of American rifle TV, and they quoted that LEOs were hitting at 80+% compared to twenty with lasers. take it for what it's worth.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    A week or two ago I saw an episode of American rifle TV, and they quoted that LEOs were hitting at 80+% compared to twenty with lasers. take it for what it's worth.
    LOL, it aint worth much considering the source. Who is the one of the largest sponsers of all those shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Unfortunately, it could be difficult to tell if it's a real "home invasion" or just a crazy and/or stupid burglar.

-
    Thats exactly right, and you just made my point.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto, I see your point about being hung out to dry in questionable shooting with the language used. As the saying goes, you can't take the bullet back once it's fired. Just need to make sure you can explain why you felt the need to use deadly force. Lawyers have months and years to examine something that was over in under 5 seconds start to finish.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Sixto, I see your point about being hung out to dry in questionable shooting with the language used. As the saying goes, you can't take the bullet back once it's fired. Just need to make sure you can explain why you felt the need to use deadly force. Lawyers have months and years to examine something that was over in under 5 seconds start to finish.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    .........Just need to make sure you can explain why you felt the need to use deadly force. Lawyers have months and years to examine something that was over in under 5 seconds start to finish.
    Man, you are so right. I am more afraid of the legal system than I am of the BG's. I'd be curious to see how many of these self-righteous prosecuting attorneys were ever involved in a real life-or-death struggle.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post

LOL
    WOW... happy you guys are serious about this subject. happy i didn't ask about using CT on XD or Glock....in .45acp or 9mm.

Administrator
    Man, you are so right. I am more afraid of the legal system than I am of the BG's. I'd be curious to see how many of these self-righteous prosecuting attorneys were ever involved in a real life-or-death struggle.

-
    Hardly any.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I'd be curious to see how many of these self-righteous prosecuting attorneys were ever involved in a real life-or-death struggle.
    In their eyes it's every election. Helps distort their reality.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

-
    At least if you are facing the legal system, that means you are still alive. Better that than to be in the ground. OMO. As the saying goes, "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6." Like Sixto said, very few attorneys will have ever been in a life or death struggle.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

We use them a lot. Great for warning people to back down before you have to shoot them.
    3/320th Field Artillery
    3rd brigade RAKKASANS
    101st AIRBORNE

Let's be real for a minute and really address the pluses of using a laser sight.

1) As a shooting/training aid, it will help you to discover your weaknesses. It will clearly illustrate to you if you are slapping your trigger or sighting inproperly.
    2) Makes recovering for second shot must faster.
    3) Allows you to shoot weak-handed more accurately.
    4) Allows you to pie your target more proficiently.
    5) Aids in accuracy, especially when firing at moving targets as it allows you to track the target.
    6) Builds confidence, especially when aquiring target that has limited exposure.
    7) Aids in firing from off-hand and/or otherwise awkward positions
    8) Increases first hit probability, especially in low-light situations and in conjuction with a mounted flashlight.
    9) Increases first hit probability, especially in high stress situations. Point and shoot. Decreases checklist by lessening line-of-sight, proper sight picture, and other steps to a good first shot.

Note: It also serves as a warning that you have locked-in on your target and you are prepared to fire.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links