What would you do? Accosted and attacked by road ragers.

This is a discussion on What would you do? Accosted and attacked by road ragers. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You pull into a gas station, and unknowingly cut off two guys who now have it in for you. They follow you into the store ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? Accosted and attacked by road ragers.

You pull into a gas station, and unknowingly cut off two guys who now have it in for you. They follow you into the store and verbally accost you. You try to de-escalate the situation, but they just get madder, and then charge you. As shown in the video with this article.

Now I'd be interested to hear how some of y'all would have handled this situation? From the time you were verbally accosted to the time they charge, what would you have done differently? How would you have protected yourself or stopped the attack? This assumes you're carrying whatever you would normally be carrying.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

First, I would not have went inside if they turned around( stay close to my truck)
    Second, If they walked up to me outside I would have backed them up with all the force it my disposal!!
    That one dude was huge!!
    Two men that close and you can find yourself in trouble quick!!
    People don't think a shoe is a weapon,put 250lb behind it coming down on your head!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    If sombody tries to hurt me and I cannot safely remove myself from the situation,then I do whatever I need to do to stop the attack.That is my rule.One thing we do not know is what the young man said before he was punched.Did he really apologize?Or was he running his mouth?Did he flip them off after he cut them off with his car?He did not deserve little beating he received,but I wonder if there is more to this.

I'm too old to fight...
    If Stan Long had attacked me...after a warning to stay back...he would have to change his name to Long Gone...

Attacking a 60 year old?
    Two on one?
    Disparity of force?
    Fear for my life?

Stan Long has his name legally changed to Long Gone?

************************************************** ****************************

Actually had something similar happen to me many months ago. The wife was with me...I may have cut someone off, although I don't think I did. Two guys started throwing profanities at me in a gas station...I just ignored them, but kept my 'view' of them without making eye contact while I filled my gas tank. They eventually drove out of the gas station. I felt that it would have been stupid to engage them or throw insults back. Never turned into a problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It sure pays to watch how you drive!!

I had some nut job go off on me this winter, hanging out his car going crazy screaming, pulling along side of me giving me the finger, all because I pulled out in front of him. He was three blocks away in a 25 mph zone. You never know what will set someone off. Did not have my gun at the time. I was all set to make a made dash to the local sheriffs office, guy ended up peeling away after I pulled into the post office. Mind you this was in a town of 400 people.

1. I never let my tank go empty.
    2. I never go inside the stop & rob, I pay at the pump.
    3. I do not make mad dashes for fuel stops.

Having said that, if I get confronted by two thugs at a station, "Look, I don't know what you perceived that I did to **** you off, but it is not worth it, so BACK OFF!!" Saying the "Back off" loud enough for anyone else in the vicinity to hear, while backing away keeping both in front of me.

If they continue to approach in a menacing fashion, I will repeat very loudly the back off command and "Someone call 911!" If that fails to deter them, then I will draw my sidearm and at low ready, "I said it is not worth it. I am in fear for my life and I will fire if you do not BACK OFF NOW!!!" Any bystanders may think what they want, they heard me say "Back Off" 3 times.

The ball is now in their court. Either way, I will be calling 911 myself at the end of the incident
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

If you had a situation like the guy in that video, I really doubt that you would say "back off" even TWICE before the pummeling began, or you had to shoot em.

It didn't look like there was a lot of chit-chat.

They didn't follow him for a discussion of his driving, or an apology.

--Travis--

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    This really is really typical of the type of situation you could find yourself in. There is no time to think about what you are going to do. You only have time to react.

Your best chance to defuse the situation will be how you react to what they first say to you. If you say, "Hey, man, I'm really sorry. I driving with my head where the sun don't shine. I really didn't see you." If you let your ego override your brain things are not going to be pretty.

These guys came in looking for a fight. If you take their reason to fight away everything may be fine. If they insist on fighting, defend yourself to the level you feel necessary to stop the attack.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    These days you never know what is going to send someone off on you. I would try to defuse the situation and than if that doesn't work come and get you some. I was pulling on to the highway yesterday after work and the on ramp forces you to move over immediately or you have to exit back off. I slip into an opening and the passenger in the pickup I pulled in front of flipped me off with both hands. There was a time I would have pulled over and but things like that don't get to me much anymore.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

While this only resulted in an assault it's clear the outcome could have been much worse. In my opinion this is an example of why you should always carry some form of non lethal protection like Mace, if he had used that to no avail and the situation escalated and he had been forced to draw/fire a legally carried weapon, I think justification could then be more easily proven.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    it is only a short clip, but I wouldn't try to explain anything to them...and wouldn't stop to communicate with them...
    this is also why I pay at the pump and rarely go into those places...he should have been immediately been backing away from these guys...not standing toe to toe, so to speak...make distance....it is your friend.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

1. I never let my tank go empty.
    2. I never go inside the stop & rob, I pay at the pump.
    3. I do not make mad dashes for fuel stops.
    Echo, echo!
    I try extra hard to NOT put myself in dangerous situations. I'm too old.

But, if all that had happened like in the video...
    First I would have let the occupants of the other car enter the store first, and considered going across the street to another station.

I would try to assess the situation inside the store - were those guys mad at me or were they just mad!

After a short while, I would have made a decision to either, enter the store with them inside, wait until they had gone, or go across the street.

It would depend on how I felt about the situation at the time, and if I felt stressed or relaxed.
    I might just take their license # and wait???
    I'd have to be there to give a better answer.

According to the legal experts on this forum, you would first have to get permission from the "property owner" to carry your firearm onto his or her property.

If he or she refuses, your choice is simple: you can get on your knees and beg for your life like a good little sheep.

Or, you can do what I would do and grab the "property owner" and use him or her as a human shield to catch all of the punishment, or bullets while I ran to my vehicle......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

If you're pack'n you start out by apologizing like crazy and promising the guy you'll never do it again, in a loud enough voice for people around to hear. Be sure to back up as much as possible while doing this. Then if the SHTF you'll have witnesses saying you tried to defuse the situation. If you're NOT pack'n, then apologize a LOT more and back up QUICKLY!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links