Defensive Carry banner

Possible upcoming riots

10K views 100 replies 73 participants last post by  bobcat35 
#1 ·
I have been listening to the news. A few items are worth noting.

1. There is a group out there called Recreate 68. They are planning on rioting at the Democratic convention in Denver

2. Several Democratic party leaders are talking about riots should certain candidates NOT get the nomination.

Best case scenario, people are just blowing smoke.
Mid case scenario, there are riots in Denver like Chicago in 1968.
SHTF scenario this is a national phenomena.

Is anyone worried? Preparing more than usual?

#5 ·
I'm 2 hours south of Denver and my town rarely sees much significant crime. If the monkeys start to mess in their cage, all I can say is :comeandgetsome:

#6 ·
Both Rush and hannity have covered this group in months past. Theoir whole objective is to recreate the chaos and rioting of the 1968 Democratic convention. One of their big supporters is supposedly the nutcase professor Ward Churchill.

On Rush's show today an insurance agent in Denver called in to remind all of the business and property owners that most of the policies they hold on their property does not cover damages caused by civil unrest, but only acts of God.

I'll be willing to bet that one phone call will spur some brisk gun sales in Denver.....

#13 ·
We have all kinds of members here, and despite the spirited debates and bantering back and forth, most seem to be very rational, nice people of all flavors. I dont think we have any primates as members here, but I'm pretty close to one myself. We as a group, are very tolerant of others, we just dont like one small minority of society; those who are criminal and would be out causing riots.

#16 ·
Well, that had to be the shortest membership on record.

Having said that, I live in Denver and I have not heard squat about this "Riot" thing. I do know that any and all protests/gatherings are only going to be allowed VERY far from the convention center.

If there is a riot, then the Denver Tear Gas Brigade (or Police Department as they are technically referred to) will be fogging for mosquitoes. They have had lots of practice with the Super Bowl and the Stanley Cup wins. We have a local Radio DJ that has a collection of canisters from every event (he was also present for).

#17 ·
Well I don't live anywhere that they will riot. I live in a nice suburb where people "talk" about things, they don't do anything. So I really have zero concern for my personal safety. I don't even know when the conventions are or where.

Rioters are criminals, plain and simple. They should be rounded up and put in prison for awhile and see how they like rioting then.

#22 ·
Agreed, good job Bumper, but... my god man, 2:45 in the morning, get a life. :biggrin2:

Oops, different time zones, maybe not.

#24 ·
Ah, the "true face" of the gun crowd. Hm. Recognition that, among other things, defending against one, against many, or against government tyranny all comprise the point of defensive use of weapons.

Those who survived the Los Angeles riots after the Rodney King thing know better; Watts; Chicago and elsewhere. A riot is an ugly sink (Inspektor Kemp, Young Frahnken-steen). Prayer, pixie dust, 911 calls placed on hold and lambasting your neighbors' preparedness don't go far when your own door's being kicked in.

Me, worried? Not unless food shortages appear here. I don't think they will. For the bottom fifth of the country's residents, there's already poverty, which is essentially a protracted food shortage. General riots? Not here, I don't think.

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
Dang!! I got to the party late and missed all the fun!!:hand5:

Years ago when I lived in Denver, they had a mini-riot every MLK day on capitol hill. DPD did a good job squelching them, and will do a good job of taking steps to prevent this one.
The Democratic national convention is August 25-28

#26 ·
Riots are interesting to say the least. When an individual is of weak character, his weakness is able to come out because he can be an ass and try to hide it in the crowd.

I was in a riot crowd while in college. It was just a huge party that got out of hand to the tune of hundreds and hundreds of drunken students and some locals. Most of us were just having a good time and when a handful of idiots got out of line (throwing bottles, tipping cars, etc.).
We did not like it at all or partake in the stupidity.
It was funny because three local cops and one German Shepherd walking down the middle of the street caused the entire crowd to haul ass and disperse. It was three AM biscuits and gravy time for my buddies and me.

I lived near Long Beach during the LA riots in the early '90s. I had a Glock 20, a MAC 90 (cheap AK) and my 870. Needless to say I enjoyed my Junior Mints and popcorn without any worries while watching the show on TV. Go Koreans! :danceban:

#27 ·
Riots and 'shut downs' being threatened after Sean Bell verdict?

FOXNews.com - Fiancée of NYC Groom Shot 50 Times by Cops: 'It's Not Over' - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Sharpton lambasted the judge who acquitted the detectives in the killing of Bell and wounding of his two friends, saying a jury should been seated to decide guilt or innocence.

"If people are on the public payroll, doing their public duty, they should be required to face a public jury," Sharpton said. The officers had opted to have the judge instead of a jury decide the case

Sharpton later promised to "shut the city down" with organized civil disobedience. "Shut it down! Shut it down!" supporters chanted.

In his ruling Friday, Justice Arthur Cooperman said inconsistent testimony, courtroom demeanor and rap sheets of the prosecution witnesses — mainly Bell's friends — "had the effect of eviscerating" their credibility.

"At times, the testimony just didn't make sense," the judge said.

The verdict elicited gasps as well as tears of joy and sorrow. Detective Michael Oliver, who fired 31 of the shots, wept at the defense table, while Bell's mother cried in the packed courtroom. Shouts of "Murderers! Murderers!" and "KKK!" rang out outside the courthouse.

Protests followed later in the day, and police said two demonstrators were arrested near the site of the shooting Friday night. One was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge, the other on a charge of obstructing governmental administration, police said.
Good time to stay away from NYC.

#28 ·
We must terrorize, pillage, burn, loot, & riot in order to insure that the man who is going to bring peace and stability to the world gets into the White House.

Sounds logical to me. :yup:

#29 ·
Not looking forward to it.

I am a paramedic in the Denver Metro area and I am not looking forward to being an unarmed civil servant in the middle of this.:slap: Not that I have a choice, its all hands on deck for this one.

As much good as I think I would do I hope everyone is wrong. Probably not though.

#36 ·
I am a paramedic in the Denver Metro area and I am not looking forward to being an unarmed civil servant in the middle of this.:slap: Not that I have a choice, its all hands on deck for this one.

As much good as I think I would do I hope everyone is wrong. Probably not though.
You sure?

I am a Paramedic in Kentucky, and they took out the weapons policy last year for some reason. It's just not in the S.O.P. anymore, so I am carrying at work again.

And even so, it just might be against "company policy", so you couldn't get in trouble for it, just fired.

I carried regardless, as my job is not worth my life, and holds no rule of law here.

#30 ·
There aren't enough people in Montana to have a riot!:rofl:

Well, maybe a small one...

#33 ·
Naw. Who's going to riot?

This isn't 1968. Too many computers and video games and cell phones and malls and shots of Britney sans panties to hold people's attention.

The Hippies and Yippies and Weathermen and the Students for a Democratic Society of 1968 were a lean and hungry and determined -- if somewhat scruffy -- lot.

A lot of today's overweight and unfocused "anarchists" would split their trousers with their first toss of a bottle or rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.