Pickup owners...Filling up the tank - Page 2

Pickup owners...Filling up the tank

This is a discussion on Pickup owners...Filling up the tank within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why not keep a door key in your pocket and lock the door when you are refueling?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pickup owners...Filling up the tank

Why not keep a door key in your pocket and lock the door when you are refueling?
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpsVet View Post
    Why not keep a door key in your pocket and lock the door when you are refueling?
    Better yet, keep 2 working copies for that time when it falls out of your pocket and you lock yourself out. I keep a spare in my wallet.

The whole idea of jumping in the back reminds me of a joke about 'roman driving'.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    besides playing out like an action movie, whats the point in jumping in the back? Also good luck with that leg shot... that one not very well thought out too. Sorry, you asked what I thought.
    That's what I was thinking...
    I would hope that one would be much more aware of a potential situation prior to watching a BG jump into my vehicle...I certainly would NOT jump into the back of the truck. (I'd probably need a step ladder to get in anyway...).
    I watch EVERYONE when I'm getting gas. I know my small town gas station, and I know WHO looks out of place anyway...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Most states have laws against leaving an unattended motor vehicle running to prevent somebody from just hopping in a vehicle and taking off,also if you left you're truck running and shot somebody trying to steal it,did you not create a situation that had the truck not been running the guy wouldn't of tried to steal it.A prosecutor may go after you on shooting a guy under those conditions.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

stan... all my vehicles have a key wired to the frame and covered in tape to keep them clean for those times I get locked out. As I get older, seems like I need them more and more often...............
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

I see alot of people who leave their diesel running while they fill up. I'll be the stupid one and ask why you leave it running? Personnally I would let him have it unless one of my family members are in it. I do sometimes leave my gas engine running when I run into a quickmart but I have the key fob with me so I can lock and unlock the vehicle. I leave it running for a/c purposes. If I think I'll be in there for more than a couple minutes I don't leave it running. But as far as chasing and jumping into a vehicle that doesn't have a family member in it, no I wouldn't. The bg could see you back there and be so concerned with you that he may pull out in front of Mr 18 wheeler and then everyone has a bad day. There are a number of things that could happen while he has control of the vehicle that you would be powerless to stop.
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

First: At what point in this encounter are you in reasonable fear of extreme bodily injury or in reasonable fear for your life?

Second: Firing your gun at the truck or from the bed of the moving truck is more dangerous than what he thief is doing.

Third: Say you do wound the thief with that miracle shot to the leg but he loses control of the truck and plows into a school bus full of kids on their way to Elitche's...

Now, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't pull the gun and try to scare him. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to foil the car-jacking before he gets behind the wheel and is driving away.

But if you're bent on jumping into the bed of the pickup, do it. He has to stop sometime and when he does, you got your gun. You also have your cell phone. Call 911 from the bed of the truck and vector the police right to your 10-20.

PS I know that it's best to idle your truck for short periods of time vs. shutting it off but, companies like FedEx require their couriers to shut of the engines at every stop; regardless of the damage that it might do to their trucks. And it's against the law.
    Last edited by KenInColo; April 26th, 2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

It's insured.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Ah... that's why I have insurance. Take the truck, I'll get a new one!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member
    Read the decals on the fuel pump, I would have to guess they say to "shut off vehicle", if you don't, you are most likely violating a fire code, now they steal your truck while it's running, my guess is you will have some explaining to do.

ymmv Z
    Last edited by SleepingZ; April 27th, 2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: can't spell
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

"Pickup owners...Filling up the tank"

Costs me $65 if the tank is close to empty.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

What would I do? Turn off the car, lock it, fill up the gas, pay inside, and avoid the situation by eliminating the option for the BG in the first place.

I would not shoot someone fleeing in my car. It's insured, and my life is worth more than jumping into the bed of a moving pickup truck. My state has just enough liberal idiots to string me up by the toes defending my actions, if I were to shoot to stop the threat to my life, if I had willingly jumped into the truck bed myself and then ended up using force to make the BG more compliant. But that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

my fill 'er up hole is on the left side of the vehicle (drivers side). lock the passenger's side and lean on the drivers side door as you watch your money go down the tube. Always pay at the pump.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by centermass
    I see alot of people who leave their diesel running while they fill up. I'll be the stupid one and ask why you leave it running?
    In a diesel the wear and tear is in the start-up. For short stops it is best to leave it idling. The one I liked was at a place I fueled a farmer was filling his 55 gallon drum with diesel while smoking. The soccer mommie behind him was freaking out. You can put a lit cig out in diesel. Vapors aren't an issue either.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo
    PS I know that it's best to idle your truck for short periods of time vs. shutting it off but, companies like FedEx require their couriers to shut of the engines at every stop; regardless of the damage that it might do to their trucks. And it's against the law.
    When I'm not paying the bills to keep it running I'll comply with any old policy someone else has on their trucks. When I am paying the bills I'll operate it for the optimum performance and longevity. The stations I used didn't require diesels shut down when fueling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks
    If the BG decides not to bail and does the stupid driving thingy, and fails to comply with my instructions to stop (turn off) the vehicle I am thinking a shot to the right leg is going to stop the acceleration (has the criteria for JAM been met?). I would prefer that the person with the hands on the wheel be alive, in pain, but alive. Beyond this, there is too much that could happen.
    Missed that you were going to shoot him in the leg while riding bronco in the bed of the truck. Also illegal in VA as that is shooting to wound. He may get some time for stealing your rig, but you will get a lot more for shooting him in a non-self defense case.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    But if you're bent on jumping into the bed of the pickup, do it. He has to stop sometime and when he does, you got your gun. You also have your cell phone. Call 911 from the bed of the truck and vector the police right to your 10-20.

This is what I thought of also. It isn't worth it to try and shoot the person because I am not being threatened at this point.

BTW - you can drop a lit cigerette in gas and the cigerette will go out. Gas doesn't burn, only it's vapors does...

And turning your car off at the pump is not a law, there is nothing illegal about it. It is a recommended guideline, and the attendant may shut your pump off for not following that guideline.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links