Pickup owners...Filling up the tank - Page 3

Pickup owners...Filling up the tank

This is a discussion on Pickup owners...Filling up the tank within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all how does he get past you, or into the drivers seat when your standing right behind the opening of the drivers door ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First of all how does he get past you, or into the drivers seat when your standing right behind the opening of the drivers door while monitoring the fueling of your vehicle? At least that is where all the fuel doors are on my vehicles.

Second how are you going to shoot him when your rolling around the back of the truck with your gun in your hand? You tap on the glass to show him you have a gun, and he slams on the breaks, now your eating the back of the cab, then he steps on the gas, and starts to turn etc. Not the best place to be with a gun ready to shoot.

Third, I don't buy the wear and tear thing on the diesel engine when it is already warmed up from running. Everything is already lubricated from the drive to the station. Sure cold starting wears on a motor, bearings etc., but after your drive to the station it ain't going to matter.

So bottom line is, I turn off my vehicle when fueling, and put the keys in my pocket. If someone was to happen to get into my vehicle and get it started, I would not just in the back of the truck and attempt the tap on the glass thing before trying to shoot them. Why not just stand their and shoot the tires out from terra firma. (no I would not shoot my own tires out)
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    90% of the time in both my truck and my work truck (both turbo diesels) I leave the truck running while I am filling up (Don't go there. There is a reason for this, and it is mostly saving time and preventing damage).

Everywhere I go, I ponder what I would do if a particular situation unfolds and how I would handle it. Cars at gas stations are easy targets.

My plan of action is to hop in the bed of the truck. Neither vehicle is going to take off in a great hurry. My truck is a 6 speed manual, and has a Hurst "T" handle shifter, odds are the BG is not going to find the right gear. The company truck is an automatic, overweight and a gutless wonder.

I would draw and tap on the back window to let the BG know what is about to unfold upon him. If the BG continues to keep on a drivin' or starts driving stupid (well anything short of stopping actually). I will need to replace the back window because I either physically broke it, or placed a round into the seat/floorboard.

Now the variables start coming into play. Most BGs that I have seen (COPS and other shows of the like) pretty much slow down to an idle speed before they bail, so the vehicle without a driver won't incur much damage. In that event, I can get into the cab and get things under control pretty quick.

If the BG decides not to bail and does the stupid driving thingy, and fails to comply with my instructions to stop (turn off) the vehicle I am thinking a shot to the right leg is going to stop the acceleration (has the criteria for JAM been met?). I would prefer that the person with the hands on the wheel be alive, in pain, but alive. Beyond this, there is too much that could happen.

What would you do?
    IMO, if you're concerned enough about that truck to leap into the bed as a car thief is driving it off, and then shoot him through the back window, then you're concerned enough to use your spare key to lock the door whenever you get out and the engine is running.

Or better yet, get yourself one of these :Product Information

I don't know about your state, but watching your running vehicle being driven off does not constitute being in fear for your life or GBH in MN; shooting at the thief would therefore not be justified....we all know the rest.

All sorts of bad things could happen in this scenario: the round riccochets off the glass and hits Grandma....you miss and hit little Billy on his bike....you hit the BG with a leg shot, but it severs his femoral artery, which causes him to lose consciousness as he bleeds out, after which he swerves up onto the sidewalk and runs over a group of Girl Scouts....
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    "Pickup owners...Filling up the tank"

Costs me $65 if the tank is close to empty.
    Dang rhinokrk, you're gettin' off cheap!! I fill my C3500 Chevy and the bill is close to $100!!
    Sorry, I didn't mean to , now back to our regularly scheduled programing
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Ok I don't want to stray off the topic but I had to reply to this.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Third, I don't buy the wear and tear thing on the diesel engine when it is already warmed up from running. Everything is already lubricated from the drive to the station. Sure cold starting wears on a motor, bearings etc., but after your drive to the station it ain't going to matter.
    Like mentioned before, start-ups on diesels, be it hot or cold, produce the most wear on the engine. If you have ever owned a diesel, or turbo diesel you know that your turbo is lubricated and cooled down with the motor oil. Imagine driving for a few hours and then needing fuel. You can't shut off the motor without letting it idle for at least 5-10 minutes because the turbo is reaching temps of over 1000 degrees F and it will burn the bearings out in a heart beat because lack of oil pressure. So that is one reason people leave there trucks running. You also use less fuel at idle in a diesel than you do when you start/stop so it is saving you a bit.

Sorry for going off topic.....Just had to throw that in there. Oh and it costs me $140 to fill up so yeah.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    "Pickup owners...Filling up the tank"

Costs me $65 if the tank is close to empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Dang rhinokrk, you're gettin' off cheap!! I fill my C3500 Chevy and the bill is close to $100!!
    Sorry, I didn't mean to , now back to our regularly scheduled programing
    You both got off cheap....diesel is almost $4/ gal & I have 62 gallon tank to fill on mine.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post

BTW - you can drop a lit cigerette in gas and the cigerette will go out. Gas doesn't burn, only it's vapors does...
    Please DO NOT try this. You're right, only vapors burn off of any fuel, but whether the cigarette goes out or ignites the fuel depends on a few factors. It may go out, or if the fuel is warmer, vapors will distill off much faster. Also depends on barometric pressure, and the temperature of the butt as is passes through the blanket of fuel/air mixture that is right for combustion.

Anyhow, diesel fuel doesn't vaporize nearly as readily as gasoline, and has a much higher flash and fire points.

And turning your car off at the pump is not a law, there is nothing illegal about it. It is a recommended guideline, and the attendant may shut your pump off for not following that guideline.
    Absolutely Illegal around here, and apparently Boston too (just the first link I could find that referenced law):

Sparks can fly at the pump - The Boston Globe

Not sure if it applies to fueling with diesel in either location
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

[QUOTE=Strokin99;706140]
    Like mentioned before, start-ups on diesels, be it hot or cold, produce the most wear on the engine. If you have ever owned a diesel, or turbo diesel you know that your turbo is lubricated and cooled down with the motor oil. Imagine driving for a few hours and then needing fuel. You can't shut off the motor without letting it idle for at least 5-10 minutes because the turbo is reaching temps of over 1000 degrees F and it will burn the bearings out in a heart beat because lack of oil pressure. So that is one reason people leave there trucks running. You also use less fuel at idle in a diesel than you do when you start/stop so it is saving you a bit.

[QUOTE]

Turbochargers havenít used babbitt bearings for over 30 years, and todayís oils resist coking.

There are lots of myths about diesel engines out there, especially by the owners. Research into the matter and recomendations from the manufacturers go against most if not all of the myths about warm up, letting them idle, fuel consumption during idle vs start up, and lots of other things.

Again, bad idea to leave your vehicle running when your not driving it, both tactically, and from a practical standpoint.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Please DO NOT try this.
    I didn't recommend that you try that... Just pointing out a fact due to something else that was said in an earlier post.

It is interesting to know that those are laws in some areas. They are not laws in Florida and they weren't in North Dakota/Minnesota either while I was living there.

As a side note, I turn my diesel off while I refuel. If I am hauling down the interstate with the turbo screaming, as I slow down to turn off the interstate and slowly make my way to the station the turbo is cooling down. Maybe let it sit for a few more minutes and shut it down.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I have insurance and GAP insurance,so I get out of the way and call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    I didn't recommend that you try that... Just pointing out a fact due to something else that was said in an earlier post.

It is interesting to know that those are laws in some areas. They are not laws in Florida and they weren't in North Dakota/Minnesota either while I was living there.
    Some cities in MN (Minneapolis) have passed laws against leaving your vehicle running, unattended, with the leys in the ignition.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Jumping in the back is better than just watching it go away while holding the fuel nozzle.

Not if you figure the bad things that could happen, all for a truck

Do you have a family, friends who care about you? Are you willing to break their heart, cause them pain and heart ache for a truck?
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    What would I do?

My job is to come home at night (or call a friend to drive me home if the car is stolen). Any loss of property is merely an inconvenience. Such inconveniences might cost me my job if I can't get to work, etc., but still pale by comparison with my life or serious injury.

I would wave bye-bye, and thank the Lord that I was still in one piece.
    +1

I only read the first page of this thread.

No offense intended to the OP, but I find this to be a little bit of a "fantasyland" post and not well thought out, like Sixto said.

A leg shot at 1-2 feet is an easy one I would think.
    Sorry, but I don't think you are thinking. I have seen toso shots miss at the distances you are talking about, and I've even missed solid torso shots at that distance in competition, let alone under the adrenaline rush of a shooting encounter. 90% shooters at the Range tend to score 10% on the street. That's just the way it is.

Remember, "Every bullet you fire has a lawyer attatched to it." I think it was Clint Smith that said that, and he is right. Personally I would rather fund my swimming pool than my Lawyer's new mansion.

I can do without the aggravation, hassle and potential loss of freedom if I acted in the manner that the OP is suggesting.

Biker

I am an ASE certified Diesel Engine Mechanic.

The bearings in a Turbocharger are still nothing more than brass bushings with an oil groove in it. Turbos are (insert technical word here that I can remember) lubricated which means they, like the main, rod, and piston bearings in an all vehicles. They float on a thin film of oil, not roller bearings. They are spinning at speeds of up to 25k rpm, and reach temperatures on the compressor side of up to 350* and on the turbine side of 1200 on a stock truck, 1700*+ on a modified truck like mine (anything over 1300 for more than a few seconds is a bad thing...)

OEM recommendations in the owners manual, and turbo manufacturers recommend that the turbo be allowed to cool down on the turbine side to at least 350* before shutdown. My Dodge has been tweaked to 500+ hp at the wheels (which the insurance is not going to cover - performance mods) and it takes a while to idle cool it to 350 in most cases.

Start ups are still where the most wear occurs on an engine, regardless of oil flavor, and temperature...unless you have a pre-start oil pump installed. Engine oil pumps are pumping oil as long and the crankshaft is turning. The slower it is turning, the less oil it is pumping.

OK everyone. You have made your point. Even those that I remember that will refuse to give up a wallet, confront someone in their driveway messing with their vehicle, and refuse to be a victim under any circumstance will watch their vehicle drive away at while at the pump.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Maybe a little off topic----or maybe right on topic after all? I do know one thing---personally I feel a bit more secure when I'm filling up the tank in my truck. I don't think I'd be profiled as an easy target for robbery as filling up my truck leaves me with only a few one dollar bills in my wallet. I love my truck!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links