Pickup owners...Filling up the tank

This is a discussion on Pickup owners...Filling up the tank within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KG4ZRC I didn't recommend that you try that... Just pointing out a fact due to something else that was said in an ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pickup owners...Filling up the tank

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    I didn't recommend that you try that... Just pointing out a fact due to something else that was said in an earlier post.
    Didn't intend to sound like you did. Just posting a disclaimer for the masses. Did you know that the average person has an IQ in the 90s?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Even those that I remember that will refuse to give up a wallet, confront someone in their driveway messing with their vehicle, and refuse to be a victim under any circumstance will watch their vehicle drive away at while at the pump.
    No, I don't think your calling this right. I am not going to watch my vehicle drive away at the pump. I don't think too many others here would either. I think it has just been pointed out that we don't think it is a good idea to jump in the back to try to stop the theft after the person is already in the drivers seat with it in gear.

There is a big difference in taking measures to prevent the BG from driving off in the vehicle and not playing cowboy after he is already there. I believe that is why all the suggestions have been made to not leave it running, or use a keyless entry to lock it up, or other measures to keep them from being able to actually steal it.

If I am standing at the pump, pumping gas, I am going to do everything possible to keep the person from getting the keys out of my pocket, getting into the truck, Jeep, or van, starting it, and driving off. But if they get the keys, get into the vehicle, get it started and start to drive off, it is already too late to try to get back in control of the vehicle. I think that is the main difference between the two methods of thinking.

What is the old addage, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

What is the old addage, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    I think this sums things up very well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That's kind of what I was getting at when I posted a link to the Secure-Idle. I had one in an old Crown Vic I used to have; it was great. Problem solved, nobody gets shot.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

GAP Insurance: An automobile insurance option, available in some states, that covers the difference between a car's actual cash value when it is stolen or wrecked and the amount the consumer owes the leasing or finance company. Mainly used for leased cars.

Colorado has the what they call the "puffer" law which essentially says you can't leave your running vehicle unattended. One of the TV stations did a feature on that law after someone drove off with unattended and idling Arvada (Denver suburb) Police patrol car.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Didn't intend to sound like you did. Just posting a disclaimer for the masses. Did you know that the average person has an IQ in the 90s?
    'Average' IQ is always 100. No more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    'Average' IQ is always 100. No more, no less.
    True, but I was trying to give a range since there are very few exactly average folks. And while it would seem that 90-110 is the actual "average" range, I read a study at my buddies (psychologist) house that indicated there were a good number more people that test from 90-100 than from 100-110. Only one study, but I like to use the double digit thing for effect.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Shoot him in the leg, care for him and his kids for the rest of your life. Carry an extra key or separate the remote from the key and lock the truck, even when it is idling.

This discussion brings to mind a story my late grandpa used to tell about something that happened to a friend of his back in the '70s in San Antonio. This was the time when many full-service stations were being driven out of business by convenience stores that were installing gas pumps on every corner.

Anyway, this friend was filling his car with gas when a man walked up, and noticing he had left his keys in the ignition told my grandpa's friend that he could pretty easily steal the car and intended to do so; the friend responded by pulling the pump handle out of his tank and dowsing the man from head to toe with premium ethyl. My grandad told us that they had to take the man to the hospital for treatment.

I think that is a pretty novel idea personally......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    My old powerstroke fill up runs about $180! As far as shooting anybody stealing
    vehicle this is why they have gap insurance and I recommend everyone buy it
    who finances a vehicle.This covers the extras like sales tax,excise tax when when you have a loss.I had a vehicle stolen in 1995 and there was no gap insurance and difference between settlement and replacement vehicle was $4,200 ! Your insurance companies is not your friend I was going to arbitration
    as this was their third offer.You add up all the taxes and first year depreciation
    you get hammered so buy gap insurance it's cheap take it from this victim.
    She was metal patient who was drunk ! She got 7 days in jail for oui nothing for stealing truck and totaling it ! I had no recourse civilly because she is on social security and in states mental health system.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links