Pickup owners...Filling up the tank

This is a discussion on Pickup owners...Filling up the tank within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 90% of the time in both my truck and my work truck (both turbo diesels) I leave the truck running while I am filling up ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pickup owners...Filling up the tank

Pickup owners...Filling up the tank

90% of the time in both my truck and my work truck (both turbo diesels) I leave the truck running while I am filling up (Don't go there. There is a reason for this, and it is mostly saving time and preventing damage).

Everywhere I go, I ponder what I would do if a particular situation unfolds and how I would handle it. Cars at gas stations are easy targets.

My plan of action is to hop in the bed of the truck. Neither vehicle is going to take off in a great hurry. My truck is a 6 speed manual, and has a Hurst "T" handle shifter, odds are the BG is not going to find the right gear. The company truck is an automatic, overweight and a gutless wonder.

I would draw and tap on the back window to let the BG know what is about to unfold upon him. If the BG continues to keep on a drivin' or starts driving stupid (well anything short of stopping actually). I will need to replace the back window because I either physically broke it, or placed a round into the seat/floorboard.

Now the variables start coming into play. Most BGs that I have seen (COPS and other shows of the like) pretty much slow down to an idle speed before they bail, so the vehicle without a driver won't incur much damage. In that event, I can get into the cab and get things under control pretty quick.

If the BG decides not to bail and does the stupid driving thingy, and fails to comply with my instructions to stop (turn off) the vehicle I am thinking a shot to the right leg is going to stop the acceleration (has the criteria for JAM been met?). I would prefer that the person with the hands on the wheel be alive, in pain, but alive. Beyond this, there is too much that could happen.

What would you do?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't want to be in it!! You shoot him and he turns, T-bones a 3500 dually doing 40 mph!! If your near it don't let him through you, If he already has it, say your inside, what you can do next Depends on your state law, or have the Insurance paid.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    I fully understand about leaving the diesel running. Had a F350 dually PowerStroke non-turbo myself.

Anyway, in VA they get the truck if they get past me. The deal being I can't use deadly force to defend property in VA. The getting past me comment is because when I fuel I pull in to create a defensive position of sorts. I get close enough to the pump I can use the driver's door to block that direction. I get the pump hose between me and the other direction. This won't stop anyone, but will give me a bit of warning because it won't be as easy as walking up on me. Someone with bad intent is essentially attacking me first even if all they want is the truck. So I will defend myself not the truck

Now if you have a rig with dual tanks that fill on opposite sides then the plan will be different. I don't even know if they do that anymore. Mine were both on the driver's side.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Administrator
    besides playing out like an action movie, whats the point in jumping in the back? Also good luck with that leg shot... that one not very well thought out too. Sorry, you asked what I thought.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    besides playing out like an action movie, whats the point in jumping in the back? Also good luck with that leg shot... that one very well thought out too. Sorry, you asked what I thought.
    Jumping in the back is better than just watching it go away while holding the fuel nozzle. Better than going to the door to try to stop the BG.

I have not seen any action movies other than the guy is either on the hood, roof, or in the bed doing nothing (which I pondered, just laying low and calling the police with a play by play)

A leg shot at 1-2 feet is an easy one I would think.

Insurance will cover it if I let it go, after about a month when they decide that it will not be found. It is a principle thing. It's mine, no you may not have it. A stolen car is a "If we see it, we'll look into it. We have speeders to ticket, and domestic disputes to settle." for the Police, at least in the jurisdictions that I frequent.

The BG is going to know I am in the bed before he leaves the parking lot. The window is going to be broke before it gets 10 feet down the street. Neither vehicle is going to be moving very fast by step 3.

No need to apologize SIXTO. I pondered down a path of actions, and am looking for feedback.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Administrator
    I appreciate you protecting your stuff, but to me its not worth the potential price you could pay by going for a ride. First, it could easily be your life, second, the cost legal proceedings if you shoot are going to far outweigh the value of your truck.

The leg shot might be easy, but doing it instantly in a moving vehicle under stress is another story. Even if you do get it, who knows how he is going to react. Is he going to stop, or is he going to reflexively jam the accelerator?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I play these things out partially by thinking like the BG and what would I do if the crazy SOB owner that I thought I left crying at the pump is pointing a gun at me from the back of the truck. Clearly I am not getting farther away from him.

I could slow down and bail, done it before or heard from my buddies, and know it is not fun if the vehicle is moving faster than I can run (5mph, 3 if I am wearing those cool baggy pants).

I could stop and deal with getting arrested, jump bail blah blah.

If I am South of the border, I either get a free vacation back home to see the family, or I have to change my name again after I jump bail. Neither much of an inconvenience.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

It would probably like you used or threatened lethal force to protect your property. If your state doesn't allow this, then HE might be justified (legally speaking) or producing a weapon and shooting back.

Aside from the legalities, since I don't know your states' laws, why not just get an extra key and lock the door while your outside of the vehicle?

Cost to minimize the risk: $2
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    It would probably like you used or threatened lethal force to protect your property. If your state doesn't allow this, then HE might be justified (legally speaking) or producing a weapon and shooting back.

Aside from the legalities, since I don't know your states' laws, why not just get an extra key and lock the door while your outside of the vehicle?

Cost to minimize the risk: $2
    I do have the spare key and do lock the door if I need to leave the vicinity of my vehicle.

CO state laws on property protection are hazy, and I do believe that if a person involved in the act of a crime produces a weapon for any reason, the charges go up a couple of notches. Lethal force in the defense of a person committing a crime is not an affirmative defense...or something to that effect. The Colorado State Law site ate itself, and is in the progress of being repaired, so I can not quote it just yet.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    What would I do?

My job is to come home at night (or call a friend to drive me home if the car is stolen). Any loss of property is merely an inconvenience. Such inconveniences might cost me my job if I can't get to work, etc., but still pale by comparison with my life or serious injury.

I would wave bye-bye, and thank the Lord that I was still in one piece.

VIP Member
    I leave my diesel running as well, while filling. I also have the key fob in my pocket & the doors are LOCKED. That way a BG can't just open the door & get in, he'd have to break a window. Plus I'm standing on the driver's side of the truck where the filler is....& I'm armed.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    Quickly light the gas trail coming from the departing truck, that way it blows up!.............atleast thats the movie answer. Real life answer , let the truck go and report to PD the situation.
    Jumping in the back is too risky and dangerous since my kids count on me to take care of them. I own nothing more valuable than my own life.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'd let it go and dial 911.

I'd be surprised if the use of deadly force was allowed to protect theft of property in CO......

Even if it is, the danger to you would outweigh any potential benefit IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Quickly light the gas trail coming from the departing truck, that way it blows up!
    That Would work LOL..Or jump in the back...oh never mind!
    From the time he got in it, till the time he is doing 30 out of the parking lot would take about 2 seconds...You wouldn't have time to do much after he is behind the wheel.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    My motto, put as much distance between me and the bad guy as possible. \

I'd let him have the truck and dial 911.

The only exception, if my wife or a kid (I don't have a young kid now) were inside.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links