Bounty hunter

This is a discussion on Bounty hunter within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like anything else there is the "Ideal" and then there is the "Real." In the ideal world the bounty hunter uses good sense, double checks ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bounty hunter

Like anything else there is the "Ideal" and then there is the "Real."
    In the ideal world the bounty hunter uses good sense, double checks the address and makes sure it's absolutley right.
    In the real world there are errors in judgment, there are screw-ups, and these are likely to be met with a fast moving charge of heavy shot heading in the opposite direction.
    Errors are costly.
    The bounty hunter that kicks the wrong door is likely to find the price very high indeed.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    "!=" means "NOT EQUAL"

-JT

Thanks JT. I'm filing that under "New Things I Learned Today".
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    I agree with glock27, watching cement harden, or the grass growing is better entertainment than 90% of what is on TV anymore, and that 90% is what they try and pass off as "reality" shows!

I am not a Bounty Hunter or an attorney but this is my understanding of the law regarding Bounty Hunters.

Bounty Hunters do not need a warrant to enter a structure to retrieve a bail that they know are in there. Therefore they can not go kicking in doors unless they physically witness the bail enter the structure.

If they break and enter a structure that does not contain the bail, they are illegally breaking and entering just like any other criminal and doing a pretty good impression of a home invasion.

So, if you are harboring a fugitive inside your house and they kick your door, you can sue the fugitive, but you really have no recourse against the bail enforcement agents.

If you are not harboring the fugitive and they get your house by mistake... They are fair game to be treated as home invaders.

They know this, so unless they are idiots they usually don't go kicking doors unless they are 100% certain their bail is inside which means they physically saw the bail enter the house.

Now they may try and brow beat you into granting permission to search your place, but they have no legal right to enter your house if the bail is not in there.

If you watch a lot of Dog the Bounty Hunter, you really don't see him kicking in a lot of doors. Even if he knows the guy is in there, I've seen him wait the guy out or call the local police.

He'll usually talk his way inside by having the home owner allow him in.

Also some states do have laws that limit Bounty Hunters powers of arrest, but as stated earlier, in order to secure bail, the person signs a waiver stating they may be pursued into any and all structures without a warrant in order to retrieve them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svilla View Post
    Don't open the door, call the cops A.S.A.P, and if they break in shoot them.
    I agree with this, "where I live" each state has different laws. So make sure you know yours.

Team-

I was asked by a senior member to answer questions about Bounty Hunters since I am a Virginia Dept of Criminla Justice Services Instructor. In Va, DCJS regulates Bounty Hunters & Bail Bondsmen.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

Info about Va. Bounty Hunters can be found here:

http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/pss/doc...l_enf_code.pdf

Here is some interesting info:

9.1-186.10. Uniforms and identification; standards and restrictions.

A. A bail enforcement agent shall not wear, carry, or display any uniform, badge, shield, or other insignia or emblem that implies he is an agent of state, local, or federal government.

B. A bail enforcement agent shall wear or display only identification issued by, or whose design has been approved by, the Department.
    (2004, c. 397.)

§ 9.1-186.12. Recovery of bailees; methods of capture; standards and requirements; limitations.

A. During the recovery of a bailee, a bail enforcement agent shall have a copy of the relevant recognizance for the bailee. He shall also have written authorization from the bailee's bondsman, obtained prior to effecting the capture. The Department shall develop the written authorization form to be used in such circumstances.

B. A bail enforcement agent shall not enter the residence of another without first verbally notifying the occupants who are present at the time of entry.

C. Absent exigent circumstances, a bail enforcement agent shall give prior notification of at least 24 hours to local law enforcement or state police of the intent to apprehend a bailee. In all cases, a bail enforcement agent shall inform local law enforcement within 60 minutes of capturing a bailee.

D. A bail enforcement agent shall not break any laws of the Commonwealth in the act of apprehending a bailee.
    (2004, c. 397.)

Tom Perroni

MN Case Law for Bounty Hunting

Found this for us that live in MN

State v. Tapia, 468 N.W.2d 342 ( Minn. App. 1997)

In prosecution of bail bondsman for two counts of first-degree burglary, the District Court, Hennepin County , denied bondsman's motion to dismiss for lack of probable cause, and certified question. The Court of Appeals held that bail bondsman lacked authority to forcibly enter private dwelling of third party to arrest principal who had jumped bond on misdemeanor charge.

Minnesota Bail Laws
    K.Paul
    Semper Fi

I'd like to see "Dog" go after some REAL threats, rather than some DUI and misc. crackheads. He'd be dead.
    Freemason 1988
    Colt 1911
    Browning
    Springfield
    North American Arms
    N.R.A.

If a bounty hunter needs access to my home, I think that would be an indication that I need to make some life changing decissions and maybe get better friends.

He could come over for some drinks. If I decide to let him in first.

I think the bounty hunter would get around 30 5.56mm rounds in his face neck and chest.

God Bless the Castle Doctrine and the state of Texas.

I worked fugitive recovery for a time here in MI. You could not tell who I was. I did not have a raid jacket or stupid badge. I had the arrest warrant in my pocket and that is all I needed. I am a civilian doing a job, nothing more. My actions are legal under citizen's arrest laws in MI and this one which is not commonplace in bail bond businesses.

A surety may, with or without assistance, arrest or detain the accused and deliver him or her to any jail or to the sheriff of any county. In making the arrest or detainment, he or she is entitled to the assistance of any peace officer. Upon delivery of his or her principal at the jail by the surety or his or her agent or any officer, the surety shall be released from the conditions of his or her recognizance . [M.C.L. § 765.26]
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by HK91 View Post
    I think the bounty hunter would get around 30 5.56mm rounds in his face neck and chest.

God Bless the Castle Doctrine and the state of Texas.
    Ditto that for FL...

...though I am currently limited to 18 rounds of 9mm.

-JT

IANAL by heres my 0.02

LMAO Dog the bounty hunter is a joke... hes a felon, and therefore it is illegal to work as a bondsman by federal law... the only reason no one has been released is because no one wants to sink enough money into fighting the A&E lawyers.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's first Homeland Security

What federal law prohibits a felon from working as a bondsman or bounty hunter?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links