5:30 on a Sunday evening

This is a discussion on 5:30 on a Sunday evening within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. Even some crazy people need to work. 2. Sometimes work is an avenue to pursue other pursuits. 3. Some people call me paranoid. I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5:30 on a Sunday evening

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    1. Even some crazy people need to work.

2. Sometimes work is an avenue to pursue other pursuits.

3. Some people call me paranoid. I call it being survival oriented.

I think you did fine. We can't be engaged 100% of the time; we'd blow a gasket.

Yes it's nice to have a wife that carries. On the other hand, if your wife lives in a mystical place, at least make it a positive, and enjoy the optimism. And you exactly know why you're there, to protect her.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not too long ago, my sister answered the door at her house and it was two somewhat scruffy-looking guys outside wanting to sell her magazine subscriptions. She told them she didn't need any more magazines and they both developed a little attitude about it. They left, she went inside angry, and decided to call the police about them since something didn't seem quite right. The police badly wanted to know where they were and said they had been looking for these characters all afternoon. Within a few minutes the neighborhood was full of patrol cars and carried them away.

My sister is pretty big and imposing-looking and I think that helped her a little, but it didn't help her when I chewed her out for going outside to talk to these guys.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    Grady, what part of near St. Louis are you. We live in the West County area, with family in St. Chuck.
    St. Chuck, just off Jungermann, 5 minutes from the QuickTrip where the guy was carjacked recently. Hear about that? He bailed out a block later, police picked up the chase, the two carjackers couldn't handle a highway off-ramp and crashed. Both BGs ejected, both dead. One Saturday morning about 5 a.m. Get this--they initially had approached the guy asking for a ride. He said no, they said yes.

I can't get this next statement out of my head... I know it's right, especially when I read of people being killed because some BG decided to hurt someone. It pretty much says it all about why we need to get it right the first time:
    Quote Originally Posted by centermass View Post
    There are no do-overs in this world.
    Thanks for all your replies.

Edit: http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...1&provider=top
    According to the article, the BG's first asked for money, then asked for a ride, then carjacked the guy.
    Last edited by grady; April 27th, 2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: added link

DC Founder
    I, too, have had these guys come to my door, using the exact same "trip to Europe" sales pitch. They are selling magazines, if I remember correctly. I don't remember the exact group, but it was represented to me as being "disadvantaged teens" that were working to stay out of trouble. They always seem to be unkempt and sort of "shady". I've only had contact at the front door, but have instructed my wife emphatically that should they show up at our door again, she should tell them just a minute and get me. I have heard a news item of one of these "salespeople" like this rape and murder a woman that was home alone.

I think you did fine in your contact with them, but as others have said, I would have postponed my trip for a while and contacted the police. Might not be a bad idea to do it, even this late, for the record....
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

hey grady, a couple mistakes, sure. the good news is your able to
    share your story with us and your famillys safe. that guy would surely
    red flags and mental alarms going in full gear. glad to hear youre all
    alive and well today. and i'm sure your radar running full speed.
    good luck to ya and keep those eyes peeled. god bless and keep up
    the good work.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I'm not friendly to strangers in that 'interview' type of situation, anywhere...I trust no one!

I believe that I would have begun the instructions to leave IN FRONT of the garage (if I would have opened the garage door at all). Our garage opens around the corner from the house, so I have actually surprised strangers at the front door, giving me the 'surprise' advantage. At home, in the garage, etc., one can be openly armed...it does wonders as an attention getter, without saying a word.

An armed home owner saying, "I'm not interested in anything you have to say or sell, have a nice day, and Good Bye!"...has chased away a few 'magazine salesmen'. My neighbor tried a different approach. He came to the door with a camera, took a picture of the salesman, and then went outside (middle of the afternoon) and took a couple of quick pictures of the 'white van' (and it's license plate) that had been going door to door...the van and salesmen immediately left the neighborhood. Magazine salesmen, yeah right!

Hindsight is ALWAYS 20-20, I believe you did the best things you considered doing...at the time, in that situation...
    We could all second guess you, and many of us might have handled that same situation much worse. Not leaving the home after that encounter is sound advice.

Take care and thanks for sharing.

Stay armed...stay alert for magazine salesmen...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Some of you may think Iíve made a mountain out of a molehill. Maybe so, but Iím the one who looked into his eyes, and I donít like what I saw. I know street-wise dishonesty when I see it.
    That may be, but can you articulate this in a courtroom as a Defendant?

I'm not going to pick this apart, partially because I'm tired after working a twelve and a half hour day, and partially because others can give more and better insight than I can.

What I will say is, WATCH THE HANDS!

Don't let somebody eye-fornicate you. That's the oldest "trick" in the book. Smiling and talking nice while jamming a gun in your face is a common tactic and a very disarming one. Beware of the hands. Watch the hands, they will kill you. Eyes don't kill, hands do.

Have I made my point? I hope so. I'm glad you and your family are safe. Take care and stay safe by watching the hands. When my wife and I are out I'm always looking at people's hands before I look at their body, face, etc. In fact I tend to watch the hands all the time because hands, while they can be "healing" if attatched to the right person, comforting if attatched to a family member or deadly if attached to an attacker, they are the "instrument of death" in many cases.

No gun can fire without a hand being involved somehow. No knife can cut without the involvement of a hand. Maybe instead of banning guns the libtards could just ban hands?

Stay safe and WATCH THE HANDS.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    No gun can fire without a hand being involved somehow. No knife can cut without the involvement of a hand. Maybe instead of banning guns the libtards could just ban hands?
    Now, that sounds like the appropriate punishment. Going to violently attack others? You lose your hands (at the elbow), receiving a suitable prison term and coupon for discount prosthetics.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just remembered that my wife and I called the Sheriff out last year because a salesman looked so out of place. The Sheriff was glad we called because they had had two other calls about this guy. It turned out that he was legitimate. You never know though. I would imagine more than one legitimate salesman has used their sales position to case neighborhoods for their predatory needs. Anyone can show the
    Police that they are a distributor or have a system to sell something, thus getting them off the hook to try a new location later on where no-one is onto them, yet. Of course, too many of the legit salespeople are from an element of society / economic status where they just don't know how to look presentable. I'm glad they are trying to work, but going around neighborhoods scaring people because they fit in like a turd in a punchbowl is pretty dumb.

1943 - 2009
    I've lived in places where there was an ordinance prohibiting door to door salesmen from plying their trade, and in other places where they had to have a permit and carry a visible ID issued by the local PD or Sheriff.

Unfortunately, my current locale has no such ordinances. I get 2 or 3 of them a week, I just tell them I'm not interested, sometimes it has to be done somewhat forcefully.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I had a guy knock on the door about 3 weeks ago. My wife saw him coming down the driveway and called me. You can bet there's a Sig 220 on my hip. He saays he's trying to get to Europe and wanted us to give him $50. I said NO and closed the door. I saw him walking next door and I called the police. They arrived in less than 3 minutes. There was no sign of him. The neighbors told the same story.

A Europe trip, that's a good one! As many of these clowns that use that
    line, you have to wonder if or how many people are actually dumb enough to give them any money. Maybe I'll walk around my neighborhood and see if I can raise enough to go to Ruth's Chris Steak House and tell everyone that is what they are donating it for!

He's trying to get to "Europe"???? Head east and get on a boat pal. If you want to sell something you better look a whole lot better than you do right now. Nice job of getting this buffoon out of your garage Grady. You know what you could have done better but you came out of it OK and that is what counts.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I'm a little late responding to this, and it will probably reflect others' posts.

There was an episode on Oprah, (yeah yeah, I watched Oprah with my better half) where she was interviewing a self defense expert. He made an excellent comment about how humans are the only animals who don't trust their instincts. We've been raised to be nice and friendly, even naive.

I think you did good, except for the mistakes you mentioned. Your gut told you he was bad news, and you trusted it. False alarm? Maybe... So what. You all made it home safe.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

I stopped by the police station on my way home and reported the incident to an officer. He said we have lots of transients going through neighborhoods attempting to sell stuff. He didn't seem too concerned, but I'm still glad I spoke with him in case scruffy guy returns.

Okay, time to go mow the yard... and yes, I'll be packing as usual.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links