Ideas On Being Better Prepared

This is a discussion on Ideas On Being Better Prepared within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im about to get married, Yayyyy from some of you, Boooo from the rest, LOL. Anyway, like all of us, my wife is slowly learning ...

Thread: Ideas On Being Better Prepared

Smile Ideas On Being Better Prepared

Im about to get married, Yayyyy from some of you, Boooo from the rest, LOL.

Anyway, like all of us, my wife is slowly learning that it just isnt wise to trust everyone you meet.

I have and will continue to share with her many tips and ideas i have learned and read about. Many from you fine folks here.

I wanted to ask for your ideas and tips in avoiding being a victim. I think that not only can i share these ideas and help keep my wife safe, but im sure all of us here can learn a few things.

Some notable ones to get the ball rollling would be:

Keep yourself in condition yellow when out and about by not giving the time to strangers who ask
    "hey buddy can you give me the time?"

Most of us know that many BG's use that as a way to distract you.

Also asking for change
    Directions or help showing them on THEIR map.
    Looking around and being aware of your environment before you park and open your car door.
    Looking around before you walk to your car
    Parking in safe places not far from the entry

Etc, etc, etc

What are some of your favorites?
    What are some that have helped you in the real world?

Thanks so much guys and gals. Hopefully i can help my fiance keep safe and realize that people can get hurt or worse by scam artist BG's who go around taking advatage of trusting individuals.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

2. Remove Ads

I hate to say this, but unless the stranger is 6 years old or a nun, I'm rude, agressive, and loud...sometimes using colorful language with my response.

One cannot trust people in this crowded world. Out on the street, in a parking lot, etc., someone asking for money, directions, whatever...I'm just not friendly.

The last 'lady'(?)...to try to ask me for something in the lot at our Publix Food Store...???...well, I watched her from a ways away going up to other people and talking to them...I was amazed that no one really saw her approaching. I was still packing the back of my vehicle when she began hustling over my way...
    When she was within 15 feet, I turned around quickly and looked directly at her...I loudly stated that she should..."Get the XXXX (insert your own adjective here) away from me!" She immediately threw up her hands and said, "OK, OK!" As she walked away, she was mumbling something about me being crazy...

I feel that it is better to be direct, rude, and loud...than robbed or dead...or both...OMO

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I hate to say this, but unless the stranger is 6 years old or a nun, I'm rude, agressive, and loud...sometimes using colorful language with my response.

One cannot trust people in this crowded world. Out on the street, in a parking lot, etc., someone asking for money, directions, whatever...I'm just not friendly.
    Hey! I resemble that remark! Remember--things get worse every day.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Good policy, but as we learned in Vietnam and are again learning in Iraq, and as Israel has learned all too often, just because it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and acts like a duck doesn't necessarily mean that it is, in fact, a duck("Nun").

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

It couldn't hurt for her to be more fit than she currently is, no matter how fit she is now.

If things go in the toilet, it helps to be able to run like the wind and hit like a truck.

It also may have the effect of helping her fail a victim selection process when it looks like she is going to be too much trouble to take on for anyone less than a serious criminal, and even if they are serious, it's no promise of success.

It may not be a mindset issue, but it sure is an important one.

(Besides, a trim & toned wife can't be a bad thing...)

She needs to trust her INTUITION! Just being alert to what's going on around her and trusting her intuition will go a long way towards insuring personal safety. A reading of Gavin De Becker's "The Gift of Fear" would be a big help (keeping in mind that De Becker has his head up his backside when it comes to guns).

Senior Moderator
    Sorry, but I don't necessarily agree with being rude and aggressive to everyone as a general rule.

There's nothing out there that says you can't be courteous, polite, helpful and sincere as well as alert, cautious and prepared.

What's the old Marine Corps rule? "Be kind. Be courteous. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Or something like that.

That is more of my take on things.

If someone approaches me, I will respectfully acknowledge their presence or politely decline their requests while I scan their body language, hands, eyes and feet and behind and around them for partners with nefarious intentions.

There is a time to be more assertive and aggressive if need be, I simply don't believe it has to be right away unless certain circumstances are applied.

Now, if someone comes too close or refuses to take "no" for an answer they can see how quickly my kind demeanor can change, but generally, I prefer to be known as someone who is at least pleasant with everyone until given a reason to bare my teeth and pull out my claws.

I do agree that God gave us instincts for a reason. We should listen to them.

One thing I try very hand to do is take a mental note of everyone I meet. Approx height, weight, sex (cause sometimes you just can't tell), hair color. But more importantly, any distinguishing marks that may be useful if something were to go down. Do they have any scars or tattoos? Any earrings or unique rings? A shirt or logo that could affiliate them with a company or place? How about a name badge? A particular brand of cell phone or expensive watch?

Part of being a good concealed carrier is being a good witness. Not every situation requires you to get involved, but when the police arrive and they ask what you saw it's helpful if you aren't staring at them going, "Well, he was white. Ummm.. He had on blue jeans and a ball cap. I think he had brown hair."

It's a lot more helpful when it's, "He was white. Had a really puffy upper lip that kind of curled up to show his teeth. I couldn't get his exact color of eyes but they were light--either blue or green. He was wearing Old Navy blue jeans and a black Reebok jacket as well as a red NYC ball cap and black Nike shoes. Probably 6 foot tall. Mid-twenties. I noticed he had the tattoo of a bird on his right hand near his thumb and when he left he jumped in a red Ford. I couldn't tell you the model but the first three of the license plate was FBY-. There were four numbers after that but it was too fast."

It may not be a lot but it's certainly better than nothing.

Links