Gotta love GSDs!

This is a discussion on Gotta love GSDs! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, first post here. I thought I'd share an observation that I just made. I live in a neighborhood that has gone downhill fairly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta love GSDs!

Gotta love GSDs!

Hi everyone, first post here. I thought I'd share an observation that I just made. I live in a neighborhood that has gone downhill fairly quickly in the last couple of years when a few houses were turned into section 8 rentals. Over the last three months, I've had my work van vandalized on three different occasions and several other property crimes have happened in the neighborhood.

About a month ago, I decided to install a wireless driveway alarm that buzzes in the house. After the unit arrived and I saw it did indeed work well I added a few more sensors so that I effectively have a 20' "moat" around my house now. I keep the sensitivity on the sensors set at max and hidden strategically around the property and facing the house so I know when ANYTHING gets within 20-30 feet of my house from all sides. Unfortunately, even small critters set it off but that's been fine. I've actually been treating every buzz as if it's the real thing knowing that in most cases, it's going to be a false alarm but it's got me thinking/practicing drills.

I also have two german shepherds that stay inside most of the time and this is why I'm writing. Since I've been responding to every buzz as if it's the real deal, I grab whichever weapon is closest to me and first look out the windows. If it's at night, I'm instantly looking for any tripped motion detecting flood lights that are on. Then I head to the door, open and look around. Then I send the dogs out to run the perimeter of the property and call them back if they don't alert to anything.

Well, since this has become fairly common, the dogs now know to go into alert mode as soon as they here the buzz and have started their aggressive barking/hair standing up. I never really thought about them picking up on the routine when I started this, it was more about the practice for me....but it's an awesome side-effect in my book.

Now tonight, they have impressed me once again. Here I am, reading up on all of these posts in the wee hours of the morning after just discovered this site a few hours ago and I hear a strange "thud". One dog is asleep by my recliner and the other is sleeping in the next room and the noise apparently didn't catch their attention. Nothing has tripped the alarm/lights but I figured I'd check it out anyway.

As soon as I stand up, they woke up to see what I was doing. I grabbed my G19 from under my armrest and as soon as they see the pistol, they go into alert mode and start barking and heading to the side door which we've been going out each time. Another false alarm, thankfully, but they just earned a few treats.

I think it's safe now to reposition the sensors and turn down the sensitivity a little so I can enjoy sleeping in on my days off knowing that my dogs have my back and absolutely aren't going to let me sleep through anything.

Oh yeah, anyone around the Middle Ga area, give me a shout sometime if you'd like to meet up at Eagle range. G'nite!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I loved GSD'S, best dogs created IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Excellent. Yep, great dogs.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Our GSDs take a lot of worrying off of my mind when I have to leave the family at home. Their loyalty is amazing.
    A lawn guy tried to climb the fence recently. They shut that plan down right away!

I like your sensor mote around the house. I need to do that. I've looked into the motion sensor camera system that downloads to a DVD and the internet for remote viewing. I want to get one when I can make the time.

VIP Member
    I noticed that Sam's Club has a motion light that has a built-in digital camera ! In other words whenever something triggers the motion light it also takes a digital picture of the "possum". The images are stored on a smart card which you transfer to your computer. I haven't tried one yet, but I presume it'll stamp the time/date on the images also. Its design does not clearly suggest that it has a built-in camera.

I bought one recently ($99), this included one smart card. When I get it set up and try it out a little I'll post a little report about it in the off topic category.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Yes, GSD's are great. I have a shepherd/black lab combo, old now (13), but he still alerts me at the slightest bump in the night. Gotta love it!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Looks like you got protection down to a science and will be all set. I pity the BG who comes knocking on your door looking for some helpless victim.

My GSD is the best! Smart, very child tolerent, and she certinly shows her "shepard" side when in 'alert' mode.

With your GSD's and the light/motion sensors/alarms.....you've got the 'layered security' you need.

Also, welcome Aboard (!) from another Georgia resident down on th SE coast!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Hey PPKHeat, I've seen those at Sam's Club too. There is "The Spy Shop" or "Store" in Scottsdale, Arizona that had some very cool set-ups that I looked at too. I can't wait to have that level of security at my house. You can see what is going on at your house from anywhere in the world that you can get internet access. Pretty handy. Good luck!
    I'll make a post if I ever get one set up as well.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard!

No GSD here... just a big ol' Golden Retriever!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Welcome, GovtMule!

I miss my GSD. May consider getting another. They are great in many ways.

Here's our GSD "Baby"......

They're great dogs!

IF...we didn't have two dogs already (great dogs, too), I get a third, a GS...had one years ago which had been partially trained by a fellow who trained police dogs.
    That dog was smart, very smart...
    He was extremely alert...watched all visitors closely, but was friendly.

Maybe someday again...GS's are great dogs.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Welcome from Savannah

My one GS was 15/16 Shepherd 1/16 Great Dane, bred down from a sanctioned breeding in WWII. Smart, loyal, protective and huge (9mo-150+lbs). He perceived a threat one evening and made a kamikaze run at a Ford Falcon. Killed the car and himself. That was 38yrs ago and I still miss that dog.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I like pitbulls owned two nice LOYAL very proctective
    btw my uncle had a gsd owned by the german military so all the comands had to be in german funny thing was hes Cuban so if he go flusterd he would be upset in spanglish commanding the dog in german

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links