This Concerns Police Officers and Their Training

This is a discussion on This Concerns Police Officers and Their Training within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have often wondered about this and have not asked my police friends at the courthouse where I go nearly every day. What are police ...

Thread: This Concerns Police Officers and Their Training

I have often wondered about this and have not asked my police friends at the courthouse where I go nearly every day. What are police taught at the academies re this hypothetical situation?
    You are doing a detail at a location, any location, and are approached by two or three guys looking for trouble. They may be drunk, they may be sober, but they can see your gun and they all come slowly in your direction and you can see what is going on. I guess the first thing you do is to get on the radio and ask for some backup because of the unusual situation, knowing you will not have time to ask for backup in a couple of minutes. Now they have no weapons, but yet they themselves are weapons against you. They keep coming and eventually one makes contact, maybe a push or a shove, and you have pulled out your radio and asked for assistance. Now when do you draw your gun during a struggle with these guys and what do you do to stop them from getting your gun, shoot all three as a matter of necessity? I don't know of any specific incident like this but I am sure it has come up or instructors in police academies have taught it. Does anyone know what the officer should do here, or what he or she has been taught to do? I think I will take this to the law enforcment side of the message board also. But it is a hypothetical scenario of when to draw and use a weapon, so I guess it does belong here, although my question is strictly re law enforcement. But, actually, to take it a step farther, what if a civilian is KNOWN by these three guys to have a gun and the same scenario ensues. When can we draw it and use it. They are all unarmed but there are three. It is still a very tough question. Or is it?

Lead Moderator
    Cross posted topic. See LE forum fro same post.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links